M.Sc. in Inorganic chemistry is a 2 year Postgraduate program in the domain of chemistry with specialization in the field of inorganic chemistry. The minimum eligibility criterion which most of the institutes ask for is a score of at least 60% (relaxable for reserved category candidates) at graduation level.
Some of the popular institutes/universities that offer the course in India are listed below:
- Annasaheb Magar College
- Bangalore University
- Bhavan’s College
- Government Model Science College
- Government Tilak PG College
- Karmaveer Bhaurao Patil College
- KTHM College
- MG University
- Nizam College
- Osmania University
The average tuition fee charged for the course in Indian colleges/University ranges between INR 10,000 to 2.15 Lacs and depends upon the nature of college/institute (that is government, state/private/deemed) as well as its location.
Admissions to the course involve a Common Entrance Test (CET) based selection method as well as merit-based selection criterion that is the percentage of marks obtained at graduation level by the candidate. Colleges and Institute that provide admissions through CET mechanism rely on the score of All India Level common entrance exams like, IIT JAM, etc while some of them go for a separate entrance exam of their own (like JNTU Hyderabad).
The course is designed in a manner so as to cover all the relevant aspects of the subject in a holistic manner. It aims at providing a complete overview of all the aspects related to the subject.
Institutes conducting entrance exam also give due consideration to graduation marks and performance in the entrance exam while considering the applications for admissions.Candidates completing the course successfully can expect job offers ranging from 14,000 to 21,000 per month. The annual salary goes beyond this average bracket with enhancement in the skill set and experience of the candidate.
Top Colleges for Master of Science [M.Sc] (Inorganic Chemistry)
- Master of Science [M.Sc] (Inorganic Chemistry) in Maharashtra
- M.Sc in Delhi-NCR
- M.Sc in Maharashtra
- M.Sc in Chennai
- M.Sc in Uttar Pradesh
- M.Sc in Telangana
M.Sc. in Inorganic Chemistry: Course Highlights
|Course Level||Post Graduate|
|Duration of the Course||2 years|
|Eligibility||Minimum score of 60% (Relaxable for reserved category students) marks at graduation level.|
|Admission Process||Entrance exam based/Merit-based|
|Course Fee||Between INR 10, 000 to 2.15 Lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 14000 to 21000|
|Top Recruiting areas||Metallurgy firms, Battery manufacturing firms, Research labs,|
|Job Positions||Junior scientist, Assistant professor, Content developer, Process engineer, Site engineer, Researcher.|
M.Sc. in Inorganic Chemistry: What is it about?
Chemistry as a domain deals with a variety of natural and anthropogenic chemical processes that take place at micro and macro level. Inorganic chemistry as a specialization of chemistry is more focused on the study and analysis of inorganic and organometallic compounds.
Inorganic chemistry encompasses characterization and synthesis of non-carbon molecules and analyzes their bonding structure, physical properties, reactive properties, and stability through methods like spectroscopy, X-ray diffraction, photo-electric analysis etc. Thus, its main focus is on non-carbon molecules and compounds rather than carbon and hydrocarbon ones (that are studied separately under the domain of organic chemistry).
M.Sc. course in the domain is structured and designed in a manner so as to develop academic base through semester-wise theoretical examination while developing the practical skills through lab modules, experiments, and research.
M.Sc. in Inorganic Chemistry: Top Institutes
Master of Science (M.Sc.) in Inorganic chemistry is offered as a master’s level course by a good number of colleges and universities across the country to candidates who have passed their graduation level education from a recognized state/central/deemed university.
For your reference, we have tabled down a list of various colleges/universities that are offering this course in India.
|Institute||City||Average Fee (Per annum basis)|
|Annasaheb Magar College||Pune||INR 9,700|
|Bangalore University||Bangalore||INR 12,689|
|Bhavan’s College||Mumbai||INR 5,460|
|Government Model Science College||Gwalior||INR 2,600|
|Government Tilak PG College||Katni||INR 3,155|
|Karmaveer Bhaurao Patil College||Mumbai||INR 17,052|
|KTHM College||Nasik||INR 17,310|
|MG University||Kottayam||INR 40,440|
|Nizam College||Hyderabad||INR 5,550|
|Osmania University||Hyderabad||INR 2,333|
M.Sc. in Inorganic Chemistry: Eligibility
Candidate must have passed their final year graduation examination in the respective field of specialization from a recognized state/central/deemed university with at least 60% (relaxable for reserved category candidates) marks.
- He/She shall not be having any Supplementary or Compartment in any of the subject/subjects at graduation level that is yet to be cleared at the time of taking admissions.
- Apart from the above-mentioned eligibility criteria’s various colleges and institutes may have their own additional criteria’s which the students would have to satisfy in order to take admission (Like work experience).
- In case of reserved category students, they would have to present their reservation certificates issued by the competent authorities in order to avail the benefits applicable to them.
- Institutes offering admissions through Common Entrance Test go for scores of IIT JAM. To get admissions in these institutes candidates would have to qualify the respective entrance exam by securing minimum qualifying marks.
The eligibility criteria’s mentioned above are common to most of the universities and colleges across the country that are offering this course to the students.
M.Sc. in Inorganic Chemistry: Admission Process
M.Sc. in Inorganic chemistry course admissions are done through common entrance test based admission process (as seen across various Universities and colleges in the country) as well as merit-based selection process (as seen in a good number of institutes/colleges)
- Majority of the Universities/Colleges conduct a common entrance test for admission into M.Sc. courses (like JNTU) or take admissions through commonly held entrance exam like IIT JAM. Hence students would have to make an application for such exams.
- Students have to qualify these exams (for which they should be eligible to appear) in order to get admission in the course.
- After the conduct of the test, a merit list of finally qualified candidates is prepared and candidates are invited for admission process by the respective university or college.
- After completion of all the process, final allotment of seats to the candidate takes place and the candidate is asked to deposit the fee for the course and register for the respective academic year.
Admission process would more or less be same across all the colleges and universities that are offering this course.
Latest Master of Science [M.Sc] (Inorganic Chemistry) Admission Alert
- JNU MA, M.Sc, MCA & MBA Admission 2019: Courses, Application Form, Eligibility, Entrance Exam
- Telangana University (TU) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Time Table, Results
- Jamia Millia Islamia PG Admissions 2019: Course, Fees, Result, Login, Entrance Exams
- Sri Venkateswara University (SVU) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
- Sri Venkateswara Institute of Medical Sciences (SVIMS) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Merit List, Fees
- Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning (SSSIHL) MA and M.Sc Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Fees
M.Sc. in Inorganic Chemistry: Syllabus and Course description
The syllabus of the course is divided into 4 semesters spread over a span of two years End Semester Exams being held after each semester. The syllabus of the course is divided into various subjects and practical skills that students are taught during the course of their post-graduation. The syllabus covers all the aspects related to inorganic chemistry so, as to provide a holistic understanding of the subject to the undergraduate students.
The details regarding the syllabus of the course are mentioned below so, as to provide a reference to the candidates.
|Year I||Year II|
|Fundamentals of analytical chemistry||Analytical Instrumentation Structure and Bonding|
|Coordination and nuclear chemistry||Biological Chemistry|
|Stereochemistry and Organic reaction mechanism||Photochemistry|
|Thermodynamics and Chemical Kinetics||Organo-metallic chemistry|
|Physical Chemistry||Transition metal chemistry|
|Quantum chemistry and group theory||Novel reagents for organic synthesis|
|Elective subject||Research report and Viva-Voce|
M.Sc. in Inorganic Chemistry: Who Should Opt for?
- Students who have done bachelor’s level education in the domain of chemistry.
- Those who are looking for teaching jobs in the domain.
- Those who have a career in research and development in mind.
- Those aiming at higher studies in the domain can opt for the course.
M.Sc. in Inorganic Chemistry: Career Prospects
M.Sc. in inorganic chemistry degree holders have plenty of options to choose from in terms of their career. One can choose to work as a junior scientist, Assistant professor, Content developer, Process engineer, Site engineer, Researcher etc.
To provide you a holistic view of the career prospects of the course we have tabled certain areas and the respective roles attached to the same where inorganic chemistry postgraduates can look for in terms of their career.
|Area/Domain||Role||Average Salary for Fresher’s|
|Junior Scientist||The job involves research, analysis, and documentation under the guidance and supervision of a senior scientist in a laboratory setup.||INR 3.55-3.93Lacs|
|Content developer||The job involves creating domain-specific relevant contents for papers, journals, blogs, or academic curriculum.||INR 2.20-2.35 Lacs|
|Process engineer||Process engineers are involved in the task of ensuring proper conduct and flow of a manufacturing process cycle in a chemical industry.||INR 2.44-2.60 Lacs|
|Site engineers||A site engineer is entrusted with the task of oversight and supervision of the functioning on a given site or location.||INR 2.12-2.5 Lacs|
|Assistant Professor||An Assistant Professor is involved in the job of teaching the subject to school and college level students.||INR 2.52-2.95 Lacs|