BA in Urdu is a 3-year undergraduate course essentially involving advanced lessons in the Urdu language and literature.
Urdu language has played a significant role in the country’s scholarly tradition.
The course, through theoretical lessons, academic activities, and seminars, involves learning in:
- classical and modern disciplines of Urdu language.
- contemporary trends of Urdu literature.
Urdu is a widely used language in South Asia, and is popular in the Indian sub-continent. It is one of the national languages of the Indian Union, and is heavily influenced by Arabic and Persian. It has many alphabets similar to both, even though spoken Urdu is different from Arabic and Persian.
|Bachelor of Arts in Uttar Pradesh||Bachelor of Arts in Bihar||Bachelor of Arts in Maharashtra||Bachelor of Arts in Karnataka|
Urdu is an Indo-Aryan language akin to Hindi which originated, developed, and was modified in the Indian sub-continent. Both Urdu and Hindi fall in the category of the new Indo-Aryan dialects that share the same Indic base. By a general estimate, Urdu and Hindi speakers combinedly form the 3rd largest community in the world today.
Such graduates can find employment in areas such as:
- Lecturer in Madrasas, schools, colleges and universities.
- Clergyman in mosques/ masjids for conducting religious activities and working to uplift the Muslim society.
The average course fee charge in India ranges between INR 30,000 - 5 lacs for the total duration.
The average annual salary offered to successful graduates of the course ranges between INR 3 and 10 lacs per annum.
BA in Urdu: Course Highlights
Tabulated below are some of the major highlights of the course.
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||10+2 from a recognized university|
|Admission Process||Direct admission to colleges. Entrance test in some cases.|
|Course Fee||INR 2,000 - 8,000|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 2 - 5 lacs|
|Top Recruiting Organizations'||BBC Urdu, Etv Urdu, Schools, Colleges, Newspapers, magazines, etc.|
|Top Recruiting Areas'||Journalism, Academia, Translating and Interpreting, and such.|
|Top Job Profiles||Multimedia Reporter, Urdu Translator and Interpreter, Urdu Teacher, Urdu Linguist, among others.|
Top Colleges for Bachelor of Arts [BA] (Urdu)
- Bachelor of Arts [BA] (Urdu) in Uttar Pradesh
- Bachelor of Arts [BA] (Urdu) in Maharashtra
- Bachelor of Arts [BA] (Urdu) in Jammu and Kashmir
- Bachelor of Arts [BA] (Urdu) in Rajasthan
- Bachelor of Arts [BA] (Urdu) in Karnataka
BA in Urdu: What is it About?
Urdu is a popular language, spoken by around 140 million people worldwide, including native and non-native speakers across the globe. The language has also gained official status in a few States of India, such as Telangana, Bihar, West Bengal, Uttar Pradesh, and Jammu & Kashmir.
Students enrolled to the course are taught to:
- understand and analyze Urdu from a variety of context-based perspectives. develop a broad understanding of the background of Urdu language.
- understand the exotic culture of countries and communities where Urdu is spoken.
- understand Urdu’s emergence as a new world language.
- explore written and spoken Urdu on an advanced level.
- understand the language’s role in the multilingual global society.
BA in Urdu: Who should opt?
Ideal candidates for the course would possess:
Top Institutes offering BA in Urdu
Tabulated below are some of the top institutes offering the course in the country with the corresponding locations and fees charged by each.
|Name of Institute||City||Average Fees per annum in INR|
|Al Ameen College||Ernakulam||1,000|
|Abdul Razaq Degree College||Uttar Pradesh||5,000|
|Abdul Aziz Ansari Degree College||Jaunpur||1,830|
|Anjuman Art, Science and Commerce College||Dharwad||895|
|Anugrah Narayan College||Patna||5,000|
|Bangabasi Morning College||Kolkata||1,120|
|Bibi Raza Degree College for Women||Gulbarga||3,000|
|Bidhan Chandra College, Rishra||Hooghly||1,120|
|Bokaro Steel City College||Bokaro||1,190|
|Darjeeling Government College||Darjeeling||1,640|
|Dr. Hari Singh Gour University||Sagar||3,590|
|Aligarh Muslim University||Aligarh||6,335|
Eligibility for BA in Urdu
Listed below are the minimum criteria which candidates interested in pursuing the course are required to fulfil, in order to be eligible to apply for the course.
- 10+2 education completed in any stream from a recognized educational Board.
- A minimum aggregate score of 50% (45% for SC/ST/OBC candidates) at the 10+2 level.
- Basic proficiency in Urdu.
BA in Urdu: Admission Process Most institutes offering the course admit students based on performance in a relevant entrance test. Admission process generally varies across colleges.
A few institutes also provide direct admission based on the candidate’s performance at the 10+2 level.
BA in Urdu: Syllabus and Course Description
A year-wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is tabulated below.
|Year 1||Year 2||Year 3|
|Urdu Language and History||Urdu Fiction||Diasporic Urdu Literature|
|Urdu Literature and History||Urdu Non-fictional Prose||Women in Urdu Literature|
|Urdu Poetry||Element of Urdu Structure||Socio Cultural Form of Urdu Literature|
Latest Bachelor of Arts [BA] (Urdu) Admission Alert
- JNU BA (Hons) Admission 2019
- Jamia Millia Islamia UG Admissions 2019
- Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning (SSSIHL) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Fees
- Rashtriya Sanskrit Vidyapeetha UG Admission 2019: Courses, Application Process, Eligibility
- Maulana Azad University (MANUU) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Results, Cut Off, Dates, Fees
- Kakatiya University (KU) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Time Table, Results
BA in Urdu: Career Prospects
Successful graduates of the course are gainfully employed across sectors such as:
- teaching (Lecturer, Assistant Professor, and Professor)
- print media
- journalism and creative writing
- Urdu newspapers, magazines and publishing houses
- film and television industries.
They are popularly hired in incapacities such as:
- Article writer
- story writer
- Script writer
- Story writer
- Content creator
- Language expert
- Urdu translator, etc.
Some of the popular professional avenues open to such graduates of the course are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions.
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Salary in INR|
As an Urdu Multimedia Reporter, one is responsible for providing timely, expert, and authoritative coverage of news and current affairs pertaining to Urdu-predominant States and countries. Such information is telecast across TV, radio, digital media, and mobile, in Urdu and English languages.
They provide meaningful reporting of political stories, current affairs, and other news topics that are engaging, lively, interesting, and readily understandable. Also, they advise on regional news, topics and events.
|Urdu Translator and Interpreter|
Urdu Translators work mostly with audio or video translations. In contrast, Urdu linguists work directly with people and engage in effective communication. Translators work primarily in one-way translating, like from Urdu to English or vice-versa. Linguists translate back and forth, from English to Urdu, and back again on a continuous basis.
Urdu Translators and Interpreters are required in both private and public sector. For non-government jobs, Urdu linguist are commonly required as they work with locals to facilitate business with English-speaking companies.
Urdu Teachers are employed in schools right from the first standard up to the Higher Secondary level of education. They are also appointed as professors in colleges and institutions. Urdu teachers are appointed at Madrasas too where they teach the Urdu language and Islamic history to young students.
Urdu teachers encourage the children to be independent and teach them moral values of love, care, and respect through the language. Such teachers teach students etiquette, manners, and good behavior, and are looked upon with great respect in the society.
They are also responsible for the academic, social, and emotional upbringing of enrolled students.