M.Sc. Microbiology is a postgraduate course in Microbiology. It is a discipline which combines Biology and Chemistry for investigation of the living system and their relationship to the environment. The duration of this course is 2 years divided into four semesters. For M.Sc. Microbiology, the average tuition fee ranges from INR 50,000 to INR 3 lakhs in most of the M.Sc. Microbiology colleges. For being eligible to admission in M.Sc. Microbiology course, a candidate should pass B.Sc. Degree. M.Sc. Microbiology Syllabus trains the students to enable them to harness their theoretical knowledge and practical training in Microbiology. Post completion of the course, the students have various M.Sc. Microbiology Career Options to make a successful career in top companies in both private and public sectors such as food industries, pharmaceutical industries, hospitals, chemical industries, and research and development organizations.
Master of Science [M.Sc.] Microbiology
|Course level||Post Graduate|
|Duration of the Course||2 years|
|Admission Process||Entrance Exam+Merit Based|
|Course Fee||INR 50,000 INR 3 lakhs|
|Average Starting Salary||2-3 lakhs per year |
|Top Recruiting Companies||Mascot International, Siron Technology, Pvt. Ltd., Lakshmi Life Sciences Ltd.|
|Job positions||Research Assistant, Microbiologist, Pharmacologist, Biomedical Scientist|
This document has been composed with the online HTML editor. Use the online visual HTML editor will help you a lot while you are working on your articles.
M.Sc. Microbiology: What is it About?
Microbiology is a branch of Biology that is focused on Bacteriology, Mycology, and Virology among other fields. Being a postgraduate Microbiology course, the objective of this course is to produce intellectual and proficient microbiologists. It is done by this course by enhancing the abilities and skills of students for application of microbiology theories and expertise in the live problems faced by the industry.
M.Sc. Microbiology course offers specializations to the students in the areas such as microbial, water microbiology, soil microbiology, generation microbiology, nano microbiology, agricultural microbiology, industrial microbiology, evolutionary microbiology, microbial genetics, veterinary microbiology and microbial.
Academic Options after M.Sc. Microbiology
After completion of M.Sc. Microbiology course, the students can study further to enhance their qualification. If the student holds an interest in research then they may pursue either M. Phil. or Ph.D. in Microbiology. M. Phil. Microbiology is offered by the University of Delhi, Chaudhary Charan Singh Haryana Agriculture University etc. Universities like Assam University, Goa University and Kurukshetra University offer Ph.D. in Microbiology.
Top Colleges for Master of Science [M.Sc] (Microbiology)
- Master of Science [M.Sc] (Microbiology) in Tamil Nadu
- Master of Science [M.Sc] (Microbiology) in Maharashtra
- Master of Science [M.Sc] (Microbiology) in Uttar Pradesh
- Master of Science [M.Sc] (Microbiology) in Uttarakhand
- Master of Science [M.Sc] (Microbiology) in Kerala
M.Sc. Microbiology: Top Institutes
The top colleges offering M.Sc. Microbiology are:
- St. Xavier’s College Mumbai
- University of Lucknow
- The Oxford College of Science Bangalore
- Fergusson College Pune
- St. Xavier’s College Kolkata
- Barkatullah University, Bhopal
M.Sc. Microbiology: Who Should Opt?
Anyone who is interested in microbiology can opt for this course. It is meant for the students who are looking for a career in microbiology. M.Sc. Microbiology course is perfect for the aspirants who see their future developing and designing innovative techniques and methods for microbiology industry. The students having the ability to perform fermentation process development, media optimization and shake flask studies strain improvement are a natural fit for this course.
A knack for Biology, Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry is exactly what this course looks for in a candidate. The aspirants, who are inquisitive, can manage the flow of information and work in a team. The candidates who dream to move to key positions in top companies in future should apply for M.Sc. Microbiology course.
Eligibility Of the Master of Science [M.Sc] (Microbiology)
For being eligible for M.Sc. Microbiology course, candidate must have a B.Sc. degree from a recognized university or equivalent, with two subjects’ combination of home science, human genetics, nutrition and dietetics, botany, zoology, biochemistry, biotechnology, plant protection, microbiology, dairy sciences, agriculture and horticulture, home science, fisheries and public health from any recognized university or equivalent.
Most of the institutions have entrance exams as admission mode. Hence, the students who have appeared in final year examination of under-graduation and await the result are allowed to apply for M.Sc. Microbiology course by such institutions.
How to Get Admission in Master of Science [M.Sc] (Microbiology)
The route to M.Sc. Microbiology course is through entrance exam. The entrance tests for this course are IISc Entrance Exam, Goa University Microbiology Entrance Exam, Guru Nanak Dev University M. Sc. Microbiology Entrance Exam, Osmania University Microbiology Entrance Exam and Lovely Professional University Microbiology Entrance Exam.
Universities accept the scores of these tests for selection of candidates. A merit list is prepared on the basis of scores in aforementioned tests.
Some institutes such as St. Xavier’s College, Mumbai take admissions purely on the basis of merit list prepared in accordance to the score in microbiology at bachelor level.
The top entrance exams for M.Sc. Microbiology are:
- IISc Entrance Exam: Held by IISc in April every year, it is a national level entrance test to take admission for post graduate program at IISc. This test asks questions from Mathematics, Chemistry, Ecological Sciences and Biological Sciences.
- Osmania University Entrance Exam: Conducted every year, Osmania University Microbiology Entrance Exam is an entrance examination for admissions In post graduate course. Its syllabus covers Mathematics, Chemistry, Ecological Sciences and Biological Sciences.
- Goa University Entrance Exam: This entrance examination is held every year. This test covers questions from Mathematics, Chemistry, Ecological Sciences and Biological Sciences.
Latest Master of Science [M.Sc] (Microbiology) Admission Alert
- JNU MA, M.Sc, MCA & MBA Admission 2019: Courses, Application Form, Eligibility, Entrance Exam
- Telangana University (TU) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Time Table, Results
- Jamia Millia Islamia PG Admissions 2019: Course, Fees, Result, Login, Entrance Exams
- Sri Venkateswara University (SVU) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
- Sri Venkateswara Institute of Medical Sciences (SVIMS) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Merit List, Fees
- Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning (SSSIHL) MA and M.Sc Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Fees
Every institute follows a selection process of its own. Most of them accept scores of entrance tests conducted by them.
Some universities proceed with the students who qualify the entrance exams and move them to next filtering stage that is a personal interview or group discussion round.
Further, universities may undertake a comprehensive counselling procedure for final selection for admission to M.Sc. Microbiology.
There are many institutes which prefer to take direct admission in this course as per the merit list based on marks scored in B. Sc. Microbiology.