Ph.D. in Ayurveda is a 3-year research-based doctorate level degree program in the field of traditional medical science with a focus on Ayurveda and its therapeutic effect. It is the highest level academic certification in the respective discipline of study. The minimum eligibility criterion for admission in Post Graduate research level qualification/M.Phil in the concerned domain.
Some of the popular colleges/universities offering the course are:
- College of Ayurveda and Research Centre
- Desh Bhagat University
- Gujarat Ayurveda University
- National Institute Ayurveda
- Savitribai Phule University
- SS University of Sanskrit
The fee for the course ranges from INR 15,000 to 2.5 lacs across various colleges and universities across the country. The variation in the fee is based on the location and type of university that is private/deemed or government.
Admissions are done on the basis of percentage of marks obtained by the candidate at Post Graduate research /M.Phil level. Apart from merit-based process certain colleges/universities follow Entrance Test (ET) based admission criteria for the course.
Students can also pursue the course in part-time mode if they are not having the time to pursue the course in full-time. Those who are looking for monetary support or scholarship for pursuing the course would have to appear for a separate competitive exam (NET) conducted by CSIR and UGC in order to attain the fellowship.
The course is a research-based analytical program in the domain of Ayurveda. The focus of the course curriculum is on imparting practical level skills in the domain so, that the students are able to practice the traditional medicine for therapeutic purpose.
PhD in Ayurveda student can have a variety of options to choose from in terms of his/her career. He/she can make a career in the domain of Traditional medicine, wellness industry, Clinical practice, research, drug manufacturing etc. Doctorates in Ayurveda students are seen well equipped with the knowledge and application in relation to the domain of traditional medicine and thus are suitable to undertake various roles in the domain of medico-therapeutic works.
A fresh pass out can expect a starting salary of anywhere between INR 16,000 to 21,000 per month. The average salary range across the country varies with a little variation here and there.
Top Colleges for Ph.D. (Ayurveda)
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Science in Delhi-NCR
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Science in Maharashtra
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Science in Chennai
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Science in Uttar Pradesh
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Science in Telangana
Ph.D. in Ayurveda: Course Highlight Table
|Course Type||Doctorate (P.hD.)|
|Area Concerned||Ayurveda (Traditional Medicine)|
|Duration of Course||3-5 Years|
|Admission process||Merit-based (Based on PG research level/M.Phil percentage)/ Entrance Test based|
|Structure of Course||Semester-Wise|
|Eligibility||Post Graduation research level/M.Phil. From any college/university with a minimum of 50% (relaxable for reserved category candidates) marks at UG level.|
|Top recruiting areas||Traditional medicine, wellness industry, Clinical practice, research, drug manufacturing etc.|
|Job Profiles||Ayurvedic doctor, Drug scientist, Research associate, Unit head, Professor, Pharmacy Manager, Medical head etc.|
|Course Fee||INR 15,000 to INR 2.5 Lacs|
|Average starting salary||INR 16,000 to INR 21,000|
Ph.D. in Ayurveda: What is it about?
Ayurveda as a domain of study deals with the application of traditional and ancient medicinal knowledge for therapeutic and rehabilitation purpose. The main aim of Ayurvedic studies is to revive the medicinal and pharmaceutical knowledge in regards to natural medicine so, as to provide a sustainable and suitable care to the patients.
In the recent years due to unplanned and random dietary habits, the advent of lifestyle disease like hypertension, obesity, diabetes etc has shifted the focus again towards the Ayurvedic system of medicine and wellness. This has now led to the emergence of Ayurveda as an industry that now, requires a good number of trained professionals who are capable of taking different roles in the industry.
A doctorate-level student of Ayurveda is provided with an in-depth insight into the subject along with all the possible dimensions which the subject can inculcate. The students are indulged in research and practice on ayurvedic system of medicine and other aspects related to the domain as a part of their academic curriculum.
Thesis/Report submission are some of the methods through which doctorate students are assessed in terms of their learning assessment capabilities and at the same time learn about the subject through practical and fieldwork.
The motive of the course is to prepare a student in a manner such that he/she can apply his/her knowledge in the subject to the best of their expertise when it comes to outdoor application and performance in the real world that is beyond the four walls of academic framework.
Ph.D. in Ayurveda: Top Institutes
A significant number of colleges across the country offer the doctorate in Ayurveda course to candidates who have passed their PG research level/M.Phil from a recognized state or central University. Students can take admission in the course either through Common Entrance Test conducted by colleges/Universities or by applying to the various institutes offering this course based on their performance at the PG research level/M.Phil.
For your reference, we have tabled down a list of various colleges/universities that are offering this course in India.
|Ashtang Ayurveda Mahavidyalaya||Pune||INR 55,000|
|BMN University||Rohtak||INR 60,667|
|Bharati Vidyapeeth||Pune||INR 50, 500|
|BR Nahata College of Pharmacy||Mandsaur||INR 67,870|
|College of Ayurveda and Research Centre||Pune||INR 50, 465|
|Desh Bhagat University||Fatehgarh Sahib||INR 60,200|
|Gujarat Ayurveda University||Jamnagar||INR 33,000|
|National Institute Ayurveda||Jaipur||INR 45,200|
|Saviribai Phule University||Pune||INR 21,000|
|SS University of Sanskrit||Ernakulam||INR 4, 867|
Interested candidates can make an application for admission to the above-mentioned Universities and colleges. Students can also search for an option in face of institutes offering the course in distance learning mechanism or institutes offering the course in their local region in case they are not willing to relocate for the purpose of their doctorate.
Ph.D. in Ayurveda: Eligibility
Candidate must have passed the PG research level/M.Phil. Examination with at least 50% (relaxable for reserved category candidates) of the marks from a recognized state/private/deemed or central University
- He/She shall not be having any backlog or compartment in any of the subject/Subjects at PG research level/M.Phil. the level that is yet to be cleared at the time of taking admissions.
- Apart from the above-mentioned eligibility criteria’s various colleges and institutes may have their own additional criteria’s which the students would have to satisfy in order to take admission.
- In case of reserved category students, they would have to present their reservation certificates issued by the competent authorities in order to avail the benefits applicable to them.
- Certain Institute grant admissions through Common Entrance Test (CET). To get admission in these institutes candidates would have to qualify the respective entrance exam by securing minimum qualifying marks.
The eligibility criteria’s mentioned above are common to most of the universities and colleges across the country that are offering this course to the students.
Ph.D. in Ayurveda: Admission Process
Some Universities/Colleges conduct a common entrance test for admission into P.hD. courses hence students would have to make an application for such exams.
- Students have to qualify these exams (for which they should be eligible to appear) in order to get admission in the course.
- After the conduct of the test, a merit list of finally qualified candidates is prepared and candidates are invited for admission process by the respective university or college.
- After preparation of final merit list, the process of final allotment of seats to the candidate takes place and the candidate is asked to deposit the fee for the course and register for the respective academic year.
Latest Ph.D. (Ayurveda) Admission Alert
- JNU Ph.D. Admission 2019: Eligibility, Application Process, Admission Process
- Jamia Millia Islamia Ph.D, M.Phil. Admissions 2019: Login, Application Form
- Sri Venkateswara Institute of Medical Sciences (SVIMS) Ph.D. Admissions 2019: Courses, Merit List, Fees
- Sri Krishnadevaraya University (SKU )M.Phil. and Ph. D. Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
- Krishna University (KU) M.Phil and Ph.D Admissions 2019: Courses, Time Table, Results
- Koneru Lakshmaiah University (KLU) M.Phil. And Ph.D. Admissions 2019: Courses, Placement, Results, Fees
Ph.D. in Ayurveda: Syllabus and Course description
The course has a variable time duration of 3 to 5 year and the syllabus is divided into various domain/areas related to the discipline of social sciences. The detailed description of the syllabus is tabled below for your reference.
|Subject/domain of study|
|Introduction to philosophical principles of Bruhat Trayi|
Ph.D. in Ayurveda: Who Should Opt for?
- Students who have interest in the study of traditional Indian Medicine.
- Those who have a career as an ayurvedic doctor in mind.
- Those who are looking for a career in the field of medicinal research.
- Those looking for a career in teaching can pursue the course.
Ph.D. in Ayurveda: Career Prospects
Ph.D. in Ayurveda students have plenty of options to choose from in terms of their career. One can choose to start their career as an Ayurvedic doctor, Drug scientist, Research associate, Unit head, Professor, Pharmacy Manager, Medical head etc.
To provide you a holistic view of the career prospects of the course we have tabled certain areas and the respective roles attached to the same where Persian language postgraduates can look for in terms of their career.
|Area/Domain||Role||Average Salary for Fresher’s|
|Ayurvedic Doctor||The job involves treatment and rehabilitation of patients using the knowledge of Ayurvedic medicine.||INR 3.17-3.68 Lacs|
|Drug Scientist||The job involves research and experiment level work in terms of the evolution of pharmaceuticals and drugs to tackle emerging epidemiological challenges.||INR 2.78- 3.48 Lacs|
|Research associate||The job involves providing assistance and facilitation to senior research fellow involved in analysis and research.||INR 2.34 – 2.56 Lacs|
|Unit Head||The work involves a managerial and supervisory role in terms of management of a pharmaceutical or drug manufacturing unit.||INR 2.50-3.32 Lacs|
|Professor||A professor is involved in the task of teaching and training students at graduation and post graduation level.||INR 2.46- 3.1 Lacs|