Doctorate of medicine (MD) in General Medicine is a two year doctrate course that studies medicine in detail. This is one of the specialty under medical stream that teaches and prepares future doctors. In the course of this study, prevention, diagnosis and treatment of adult diseases.
The basic eligibility required to pursue this course is MBBS from a recognized University. During this degree, students can specialize in their choice of subject and General Medicine is one of them. Students acquire an in-depth knowledge and carry out experiments and develop their theoretical knowledge as well as practical skills.
A number of skills are quintessential for students to study this course. They must have sufficient knowledge and observation of rare diseases. They should be aware of the recent advances and technological boons being made in the field of medicine. Students should have appropriate knowledge regarding the treatment and emergency situations.
Top colleges offering course in India are:
- Lady Hardinge Medical College, New Delhi
- Madras Medical College, Chennai
- Osmania Medical College, Hyderabad
- Government Medical College, Kozhidode
- Motilal Nehru Medical College, Allahabad
The course fees ranges between INR 1-2 lacs for the total duration. The probable salaries offered to successful postgraduates in this field are between 3-6 lacs per annum.
Top Colleges for Doctorate of Medicine [MD]
- MD in Delhi-NCR
- MD in Maharashtra
- MD in Chennai
- MD in Uttar Pradesh
- MD in Telangana
Doctorate of Medicine [MD] (Medicine): Course Highlights
Listed below are some of the major highlights of the course
|Examination Type||Yearly System|
|Eligibility||MBBS from a recognized University|
|Admission Process||Direct admission to colleges. However, some colleges may check student's skills in through an entrance test.|
|Course Fee||INR 1-2 Lac|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 3-6 Lac|
|Top Recruiting Organizations'||Medanta Hospital, Apollo Hospital, Fortis Hospital, Kokilaben Hospital, Ranbaxy, Sun Pharma, Amway, Nutrilite, etc|
|Top Recruiting Areas'||Research and Educational Institutes, Hospitals and Clinics, Military Service, Biomedical and Pharmaceutical companies, etc.|
|Top Job Profiles||General Practitioners, Bacteriologist, Anesthesiologists, Obstetrician, Chiropodist, etc.|
Doctorate of Medicine [MD] (Medicine): What is it About?
Doctorate of medicine MD is a doctorate course in the field of medicine. It is also called as MD in General Medicine. This course studies the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of certain diseases. The students who are studying this course develop an in-depth knowledge about the field of Medical Science. They become experts to study and classify various medicines and carry out various experiments and observation in the laboratory. This course is an amalgamation of theoretical knowledge and practical exposure.
The duration of this course is 2 years and it may vary to 3 years in some colleges. The basic eligibility to pursue this course is MBBS from a recognized university. After completing this course, students can go on to become doctors, Anesthetics, Bacteriologist, Broad spectrum Specialist and others.
Doctorate of Medicine [MD] (Medicine): Top Institutes
Listed below are some of the top institutes offering the course Doctorate of Medicine [MD] (Medicine) in the country with the corresponding locations and fees charged.
|Name||City||Fees per annum in INR|
|Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research||Pondicherry||11K|
|Armed Forces Medical College||Pune||6K|
|Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research||Kolkata||10K|
|Lady Hardinge Medical College||New Delhi||13K|
|Madras Medical College||Chennai||20K|
|Osmania Medical College||Hyderabad||65K|
|Grant Medical College||Mumbai||80K|
|Government Medical College||Kozhikode||13K|
|Motilal Nehru Medical College||Allahabad||20K|
|Government Medical College||Kottayam||45K|
Eligibility for Doctorate of Medicine [MD] (Medicine)
Aspiring Neurologists who wish to study MD in Medicine can opt for this course after completing the following trajectory:
The students must have completed their higher secondary or 10+2 level of schooling with subjects like biology, chemistry and physics
- The student must have successfully completed their MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery) from a reputed college or institution. MBBS is a 5½ years course and includes a one-year internship period as well.
- After that the person is eligible go for MD in his chosen field. For this, he will have to attend another entrance exam in order to get admissions to this course.
Doctorate of Medicine [MD] (Medicine): Admission Process
Many Institutes conduct their own entrance exams. The final section is done on the basis of performance in entrance exam and its subsequent rounds.
Given below are some of the entrance exams for MD Medicine:
- All India D.M / M.Ch. Entrance Examination
- All India Institute of Medical Science Entrance Exam (AIIMS)
- Banaras Hindu University Entrance Exam
- Delhi University Super Specialty Entrance Test – DUMET
- Institute Of Human Behavior and Allied Sciences (IHBAS)
Latest Doctorate of Medicine [MD] Admission Alert
- Sri Venkateswara Institute of Medical Sciences (SVIMS) MD Admissions 2019: Courses, Merit List, Fees
- Dr. NTR University of Health Sciences (NTRUHS) MD, MS and MDS Admission 2019: Courses, Dates, Placement, Fees
- CMC Ludhiana PG Admission 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Fees
- Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham PG Medical, Dental and Pharmacy Admission 2019
- Jagadguru Sri Shivarathreeswara (JSS) University MD/MS/MDS Admissions 2019
- NIMHANS UG and PG Admission 2019: Courses, Application Form, Entrance Exam Date, Result
Doctorate of Medicine [MD] (Medicine): Syllabus and Course Description
A semester wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is tabulated below
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Applied basic science knowledge||Biostatistics and clinical epidemiology|
|Diseases with reference to General Medicine||Diagnostic investigation and procedures|
|Recent advances in Medicine|| -|
|Semester 3||Semester 4|
|Monitoring seriously ill patients||Ability to carry out research|
|Counselling patients and relatives||Ward patient management|
|Ability to teach undergraduate students||OPD patient management|
|Semester 5||Semester 6|
|Long and short topic presentations||Journal conferences|
|Ward rounds, case presentations and discussions||PG case presentation skills|
|Clinico-radiological and clinico-pathological conferences||Research review|
Doctorate of Medicine [MD] (Medicine): Who should opt?
Candidate willing to study DM in Medicine must possess the following skills.
- A caring personality and humble attitude are the two qualities that are of paramount importance.
- Communication skills are required as the students have to convey their research findings and discuss the treatment with other medical staff.
- Patience and intense interest to hear the patient's side of the story are really important.
- Like any other physician, they must be dedicated to their profession. They should have a good eye-hand coordination and motivation to achieve their goal.
- Ability to work as part of a team and capable of working long, irregular hours in high-stress medical environments.
- Good managerial skills are also necessary as you will have to manage other administrative employees.
- The ability to plan purposefully so that you meet your learning needs.
- Problem-solver by nature. Must have observing, listening and inquisitive appetite.
- Should have reading, enquiring and researching habits to find solutions to difficult issues.
- Time-management and teamwork skills are imperative.
Doctorate of Medicine [MD] (Medicine): Career Prospects
There are a number of job opportunities for students of MD Medicine. They can work in Research and Educational Institutes as doctors and Research Scholars. They can get recruited in an established hospital and clinic where they can practice. MD Medicine post graduates are also hired by military services and biomedical companies. Medicine manufacturing companies are also on lookout of skilled and professional MD Medicine post graduates. If you want to start your own venture then you can open your own chemist shop and prescribe medicines.
Some of the popular avenues open to postgraduates of Doctorate of Medicine [MD] (Medicine) are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions.
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Salary in INR|
|General practitioners||General practitioners (GPs) cure a broad range of illness. They treat patients of all kinds and ages. They provide patient consultations at home and before/ after the surgery. They conduct physical examinations and diagnosis and treatment of illnesses/ailments. They are those Physicians who diagnose and help prevent diseases and injuries that occur commonly in the people.||3-6 lacs|
|Bacteriologist||Bacteriologist is responsible for studying various kinds of bacteria that are constantly changing, growing and evolving. They do research in a laboratory, either for government or pharmaceutical agencies. He is a professional trained in the subject of bacteriology which is a subdivision of microbiology. The duties of a bacteriologist include prevention, diagnosis and prognosis of certain bacteria in food samples, blood and other sources.||2-4 lacs|
|Anesthesiologists||Anesthesiologists They are the physicians who administer anesthetics to patients. They provide anaesthetics prior to, during, or after the surgery. They are also involved in other medical procedures. They also monitor the patient before and after anesthesia to figure out the patient's recovery time. They counteract adverse reactions or complication occurrences. They also Monitor patient conditions during treatments, procedures, or activities. It's the job if an anesthesiologist's to administer anesthesia to a patient if he is undergoing a surgical procedure. Since too much, too little or the wrong kind of anesthesia can be deadly, it's imperative that the anesthesiologist does his job to the best of his abilities.||2-4 lacs|
|Obstetricians||Obstetricians are medical doctors who specialize in women care during and after pregnancy. They also work avidly in gynecology, which is the general diagnosis and treatment of women's diseases. Obstetrician are commonly known as OB/GYNs.||3-5 lacs|