Master of Engineering (ME) in Civil Engineering is a Post Graduate (PG) course in the domain of engineering with a specialization in the field of Civil engineering. The course is of 2 year duration divided into four semesters
Some of the popular colleges offering the course are:
- Birla Institute of Technology
- Deccan College of Engineering and Technology
- Delhi Technological University
- Dr. DY Patil Institute of Engineering and Technology
- Flora Institute of Technology
- Government Engineering College
- Gujarat Technological University
The fee for the course varies between INR 50,000 to INR 2, 50,000 in India. The variation in fee is based on the location and nature of university (that is government, state/private/deemed etc.).
Admissions to the course involve both Common Entrance Test (CET) based selection method as well as merit-based selection criteria that is the percentage of marks obtained at Under Graduate (UG) level. Most of the colleges who provide admissions through CET mechanism rely on the score of All India level common entrance exams like GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test for Engineering) while a select few opt for a separate entrance exam of their own.
A minimum of 50% (relaxable for reserved category candidates) marks at UG level is the least which almost all the institutes desire from applying candidates (in the form of eligibility criterion).
The course is aimed at providing domain-specific skills and knowledge to the master’s level students so as to equip them with a holistic knowledge of the subject that will enable them to persecute the learning in the practical sense.
Post Graduates in Civil Engineering have a wide range of job opportunities like Construction engineer, water resource manager, structural engineer, quantity surveyor etc. Once completed, post-graduation one may pursue further studies like M.Phil and Ph.D. in the said subject or may take up job opportunities associated. The average salary ranges between Rs.15000 and 20000 a month.
Top Colleges for Master of Engineering [ME] (Civil Engineering)
- Master of Engineering [ME] (Civil Engineering) in Maharashtra
- Master of Engineering [ME] (Civil Engineering) in Gujarat
- ME/M.Tech in Delhi-NCR
- ME/M.Tech in Maharashtra
- ME/M.Tech in Chennai
- ME/M.Tech in Uttar Pradesh
M.E. in Civil Engineering: Course Highlights Table
|Course Level||Post Graduate|
|Duration of the Course||2 years|
|Eligibility||Minimum score of 50% (Relaxable for reserved category students) marks at UG level in any stream.|
|Admission Process||Entrance exam based/Merit-based|
|Course Fee||Between INR 50,000 to 2.5 Lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 15000 to 20000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Building and Construction, Public infrastructure development, water resource management, material strength analysis, surveying|
|Job Positions||Construction engineer, Structural engineer, Water resource manager, quantity surveyor.|
M.E. in Civil Engineering: What is it about?
M.E. in Civil Engineering course in the subject is designed to provide a professional outlook to the students in regards to this oldest domain of engineering. Through practical and analytical approach students are taught about each and every aspect of the respective domain such as design, construction, and maintenance. The knowledge and skill base is tuned in such a manner that the students are able to cope up with any challenge that may come during execution of their skills in practicality.
Civil engineering postgraduates would be involved in the construction of critical infrastructures like roads, bridges, flyovers, residential buildings etc. hence it is necessary that they are trained to be sound both academically and practically. The course aims at building that caliber among students that they would require in the real-life practical environment.
M.E. in Civil Engineering: Top Institutes
A significant number of colleges across the country offer the M.E. in Civil Engineering course to candidates who have passed their UG or equivalent examination from a recognized state or central University. For your reference, we have tabled down a list of various colleges/universities that are offering this course in India.
|Coimbatore Institute of Technology||Coimbatore||INR 127,575|
|Birla Institute of Technology||Ranchi||INR 1,87,000|
|Deccan College of Engineering and Technology||Hyderabad||INR 48,500|
|Delhi Technological University||Delhi||INR 1,44,000|
|Dr. DY Patil Institute of Engineering and Technology||Pune||INR 85,000|
|Flora Institute of Technology||Pune||INR 78,000|
|Government Engineering College||Aurangabad||INR 64,171|
|Gujarat Technological University||Ahmadabad||INR 90, 000|
|Himalayan University||Itanagar||INR 42,000|
M.E. in Civil Engineering: Eligibility
Candidate must have passed the B.E/B.Tech or equivalent examination in the respective stream from a recognized state/private/deemed or central University with at least 50% (40% to 45% for reserved category candidates) marks.
- He/She shall not be having any backlog or compartment in any of the subject/Subjects at UG level that is yet to be cleared at the time of taking admissions.
- Apart from the above-mentioned eligibility criteria’s various colleges and institutes have their own additional criteria’s which the students would have to satisfy in order to take admission.
- In case of reserved category students, they would have to present their reservation certificates issued by the competent authorities in order to avail the benefits applicable to them.
The eligibility criteria’s mentioned above are common to most of the universities and colleges across the country that are offering this course to the students.
M.E. in Civil Engineering: Admission Process
Most of the Universities/Colleges conduct a common entrance test for admission into M.E. courses (like LUPNEST) or take admissions through commonly held entrance exam like GATE.
Students have to qualify these exams (for which they should be eligible to appear) in order to get admission in the course.
- After the conduct of the test, a merit list of finally qualified candidates is prepared and candidates are invited for admission process by the respective university or college.
- After admission process final allotment of seats to the candidate takes place and the candidate is asked to deposit the fee for the course and register for the respective academic year.
Admission process would more or less be same across all the colleges and universities that are offering this course.
M.E. in Civil Engineering: Syllabus and Course description
The syllabus of the course is divided into 4 semesters spread over a span of two years with each year comprising of two semesters. The syllabus of the course is divided into various parts and modules that students are taught during the course of their post-graduation. The syllabus covers all the aspects related to civil engineering so as to provide a holistic understanding of the subject to the master’s students.
The details regarding the syllabus of the course are mentioned below for the reference to the candidates.
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Building Environment and Services||Construction Technique and Equipment|
|Construction and project management||Earthquake resistant design of building|
|Advance design of concrete structures||Low-cost housing|
|Contracts and Valuation||Construction cost Dynamics|
|Elective subject-I||Elective subject-II|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Seminar 1||Project Stage 1|
|Seminar 2||Final Project|
|Project stage I||Viva-Voce|
Latest Master of Engineering [ME] (Civil Engineering) Admission Alert
- Jamia Millia Islamia M.Tech., M.B.A., and M.C.A. Admission 2019
- Sri Venkateswara Veterinary University MVSc And M.Tech Admission 2019
- Sri Venkateswara University (SVU) M.Tech Admission 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
- Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning (SSSIHL) M.Tech. Admission 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Fees
- Sri Krishnadevaraya University (SKU ) PG Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
- Osmania University (OU) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Time Table, Results
M.E. in Civil Engineering: Who Should Opt for?
- Students who have an analytical mindset and like to indulge in problem-solving.
- Those who have a career in Construction and Maintenance engineering in mind.
- Those who are looking for a career in Indian Engineering Services in mind.
- Those aiming at higher studies in the domain can opt for the course.
M.E. in Civil Engineering: Career Prospects
Master of Engineering (ME) in Civil Engineering Postgraduates have plenty of options to choose from in terms of their career. One can choose to work with companies indulged in activities such as building and construction, public infrastructure development, water resource management, material strength analysis, surveying etc.
To provide you a holistic view of the career prospects of the course we have tabled certain areas and the respective roles attached to the same where civil engineering postgraduates can look for in terms of their career.
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Salary for Fresher’s|
|Construction Engineer||Work of construction engineer involves responsibilities like the design, management, and supervision related to the construction project.||INR 2.8-3 Lacs|
|Structural Engineer||The job involves designing of structures for bridges, buildings, roads, tunnels etc. whereby an engineer is seen in a role of consultants to architects/contractors.||INR 2.6-2.8 Lacs|
|Building Control Surveyor||The job involves ensuring that all the regulations and legislative requirements related to the construction projects are followed and everything is perfect in terms of the legality of construction.||INR 2.6-3 Lacs|
|Water resource engineer||The job involves taking charge of developing types of equipment and systems for water resource management facilities.||INR 2.8-3 lacs|
|Building Service Engineer||This job involves one to deal with the design, installation, and maintenance of all the services that are needed to allow the building to function according to the purpose.||INR 3-3.2 lacs|