Bachelor of Computer Science (BCS) is a 3 year Under Graduate course with a specialization in the domain of computer science, software and hardware related aspects. The minimum eligibility criterion which most of the institutes ask for is a score of at least 50% (relaxable for reserved category candidates) at 10+2 or equivalent level.
Some of the popular colleges offering Bachelor of Computer Science (BCS) course are:
- Avvaiyar Government College for Women
- Dr. Patangrao Kadam Mahavidyalaya
- Jaysingpur College
- KT Patil College of Computer Science
- Rajashri Chhatrapati Shahu College
The fee for the course varies between INR 7,000 to 2, 50,000 in India. The variation in fee is based on the location and nature of university (that is government, state/private/deemed etc.).
Bachelor of Computer Science (BCS) course admissions involve Common Entrance Test (CET) based selection method as well as a merit-based selection criterion that is the percentage of marks obtained by the candidate at 10+2 or equivalent level. Colleges/Universities offering admissions through CET mechanism rely on the score of All India level common entrance exams like AUCET, CSSU CET, MUET, UPSEE etc while some of them go for a separate entrance exam of their own (like Lovely professional University etc).
The course is a bachelor’s level program in the area of computer science which encompasses important areas like programming, software, hardware, and networks under its ambit. The motive of the course is to provide students sufficient knowledge and skills that would be effective enough to help them channelize their learning in a practical sense.
Bachelor of Computer Science (BCS) graduates have a wide range of opportunities to choose from in terms of job opportunities such as Software development, IT Management, Program analysis, Software testing, Website designing etc. After completion of graduation, one may pursue further studies in the said subject or may take up job opportunities associated. The average salary ranges between Rs.12000 to 16000 a month for a fresh graduate in the discipline.
Top Colleges for Bachelors of Computer Science [BCS]
- Bachelors of Computer Science [BCS] in Maharashtra
- B.Sc (Computers) in Delhi-NCR
- B.Sc (Computers) in Maharashtra
- B.Sc (Computers) in Chennai
- B.Sc (Computers) in Uttar Pradesh
- B.Sc (Computers) in Telangana
Bachelors of Computer Science (BCS): Course Highlights
|Course Level||Under Graduate|
|Duration of the Course||3 years|
|Eligibility||Minimum score of 50% (Relaxable for reserved category students) marks at 10+2 or equivalent level.|
|Admission Process||Entrance exam based/Merit-based|
|Course Fee||Between INR 7,000 to INR 2.5 Lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||Rs.14000 to 18000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Samsung, Oracle, Xerox, TCS, PSUs|
|Job Position||Software developer, IT Manager, Program analyst, Software tester, Website designer etc.|
Bachelors of Computer Science (BCS): What is it about?
Computer science has been the most widely taken course out of all the technical courses that are offered at bachelor’s level in India. In today’s wired and digitized society computers and its utility is something that can’t be undermined.
Bachelor of Computer Science (BCS) course provides knowledge and skills to the students in regards to computer basics, programming skills, hardware working, networking organization etc. These skills and knowledge are imparted to students in the face of theoretical subjects and practical modules that are taught to the students during the course of their graduation.
The curriculum aims to provide the requisite knowledge and skill base to the students that a graduate would require to take on the challenges and needs of the job market as well as to build on that acquired knowledge base at higher levels of education.
Bachelors of Computer Science (BCS): Top Institutes
Bachelors of Computer Science (BCS) course is offered by many reputed colleges and universities across the country. Colleges are offering this course to candidates who have passed their 10+2 or equivalent level examination from a recognized state or central board.
For your reference, we have tabled down a list of various colleges/universities that are offering this course in India.
|Institute||City||Average Fee (Per annum Basis)|
|Abhinav Education Society’s College of Computer Science and Management||Pune||INR 31,850|
|Avvaiyar Government College for Women||Kodaikanal||INR 343|
|Dr. Patangrao Kadam Mahavidyalaya||Sangli||INR 1,520|
|Jaysingpur College||Kolhapur||INR 10,500|
|KT Patil College of Computer Science||Osmanabad||INR 10,750|
|Lok Mahavidyalaya||Wardha||INR 15,000|
|Multani Mal Modi College||Patiala||INR 1, 350|
|Rajashri Chhatrapati Shahu College||Kolhapur||INR 1,200|
Bachelors of Computer Science (BCS): Eligibility
Candidate must have passed the 10+2 or equivalent (Diploma) examination from a recognized state or central board with at least 50% (relaxable for reserved category candidates) of the marks at 10+2 or equivalent level with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as the major subjects of study.
- He/She shall not be having any supplementary or compartment in any of the subject/subjects at 10+2 or equivalent level that is yet to be cleared at the time of taking admissions.
- Apart from the above-mentioned eligibility criteria’s various colleges and institutes may have their own additional criteria’s which the students would have to satisfy in order to take admission.
- In case of reserved category students, they would have to present their reservation certificates issued by the competent authorities in order to avail the benefits applicable to them.
- Most of the Institute give admissions through Common Entrance Test (CET) (like OUCET, UPSEE). To get admissions in these institutes candidates would have to qualify the respective entrance exam by securing minimum qualifying marks.
The eligibility criteria’s mentioned above are common to most of the universities and colleges across the country that are offering Bachelor of Computer Science (BCS) course to the students.
Bachelors of Computer Science (BCS): Admission Process
Bachelors of Computer Science (BCS) course admission procedure involves a common entrance test based admission process (as seen across various Universities and colleges in the country) as well as a merit-based selection process (in select few institutes/colleges).
- Students who have passed their 10+2 or equivalent level (Diploma) examinations with a minimum of 50% marks (relaxable for reserved category students) can make application in colleges offering the course.
- Most of the Universities/Colleges conduct a common entrance test for admission into Bachelor’s courses (like LPUNEST) or take admissions through commonly held entrance exam like AUCET, UPSEE, etc. Hence students would have to make an application for such exams.
- Students have to qualify these exams (for which they should be eligible to appear) in order to get admission in the course.
- After the conduct of the test, a merit list of finally qualified candidates is prepared and candidates are invited for admission process by the respective university or college.
- After admission process final allotment of seats to the candidate takes place and the candidate is asked to deposit the fee for the course and register for the respective academic year.
- The new academic year begins after the completion of all the above processes.
Admission process would more or less be same across all the colleges and universities that are offering this course.
Latest Bachelors of Computer Science [BCS] Admission Alert
- NEET 2020 Exam Dates, Application Form, Syllabus and Cut Off
- JEE Main 2020 Exam Dates, Application Form, Eligibility, Syllabus and Cut Off
- RRB Recruitment 2019- Apply for Various Post in Railways
- IAS Photo Size, Dimensions, Format and Other Details
- NEET 2020 Application Form, Dates, Eligibility, Syllabus & Preparation
- MHT CET 2020 Exam Dates, Application Form, Notification, Syllabus & Result
Bachelors of Computer Science (BCS): Syllabus and Course description
The syllabus of Bachelor of Computer Science (BCS) course is divided into 6 semesters spread over a span of three years with each year comprising of two semesters. The syllabus of the course is divided into various subjects and technical skills that students are taught during the course of their under graduation.
The syllabus covers all the aspects related to computer science in a holistic manner so, as to provide a solid base and understanding of the subject to the undergraduate students.
The details regarding the syllabus of the course are mentioned below so as to provide a reference to the candidates.
|Year I||Year II||Year III|
|Introduction to Programming||Data Structure using C||Web development and PHP Programming|
|File organization and database fundamentals||RDBMS||Computer Networks|
|Digital Electronics Fundamentals||My-SQL Assignments||Business application of IT|
|Electronic Circuits||Microprocessors||Programming in Java|
|Discrete Mathematics||Principles of Communication||Project and Report|
|Elective Subject||Elective Subject||Viva Voce|
|Practical||Practical Lab||Practical Lab|
Bachelors of Computer Science (BCS): Who Should Opt for?
- Students who have interest in regards to the study of computer science.
- Those who are looking for a career as a Software programmer.
- Those who are looking for a career in networking and hardware.
- Those aiming at higher studies in the domain can opt for the course.
Bachelors of Computer Science (BCS): Career Prospects
Bachelor of Computer Science (BCS) undergraduates have plenty of options to choose from in terms of their career. One can choose to work as a Software developer, IT Manager, Program analyst, Software tester, Website designer etc.
To provide you a holistic view of the career prospects of the course we have tabled certain areas and the respective roles attached to the same where BCS undergraduates can look for in terms of their career.
|Area/Domain||Role||Average Salary for Fresher’s|
|IT Project Manager||A job of IT project manager involves management, coordination and oversight of the human resource working on an IT project.||INR 2.0-2.32 Lacs|
|Website Designer||The job involves one to design and articulate web pages on the website as per the need of the clients.||INR 1.85-2.22 Lacs|
|Program analyst||Program analyst is involved in the task of study and analysis of programming codes so as to weed out any bug or redundancy.||INR 1.95-2.15 Lacs|
|Data Analyst||A data analyst is involved in the analysis of digitally generated data so, as to bring out trends and patterns related to the provided set of data. ||INR 1.65-2.23 Lacs|
|Maintenance Engineer||The job involves timely inspection and correction of networking, hardware or software related glitches so, as to ensure their optimum functioning.||INR 1.75-2.25 Lacs|