Bachelor of Divinity is a 4-year full-time undergraduate course divided into 8 semesters. Essentially, the course has been designed to enable enrolled students to:
- interpret the Holy Book of the Bible correctly.
- grasp the various biblical connotations which the bible represents.
- interpret such ideas in the right spirit.
- understand the religious element and fervour of the Bible.
- understand the functioning of the Church.
- develop an understanding of the various churches of the various religious sects of Christianity.
- grasp the major ethics of Christianity.
- understand the Christian theology.
- specialize in any aspect of the Christian theology or bible.
- understand the history of Christianity and its origin.
- understand the role that the religion plays in the other major cultures and religions of the world.
- to develop critical thinking about a number of other factors related to religions.
- to develop an understanding of the operational management of the church, ministries, and other related offices of the church.
|Bachelor of Divinity in Assam||Bachelor of Divinity in Tamil Nadu||Bachelor of Divinity in Maharashtra||Bachelor of Divinity in Bihar|
The program aims to:
- train students through theological education.
- prepare them for becoming effective ministers.
- encourage deeper commitment and spiritual growth in the community.
- develop the students’ mental faculties both theoretically and practically.
- foster an understanding of the faith towards spiritual growth and maturity.
- mould the cultural, economic, political, and religious life of people in an enlightened and effective manner.
- focus on major issues in contemporary times to make theological teaching relevant to the current context.
- enable students to choose from a wide variety of optional courses.
- train students in considering what the whole of the biblical scripture has to say on any particular theological topic.
- develop an understanding of sin and grace, the nature of God, and salvation. teach church doctrines, their roots in scripture, and creeds.
- help students explore how doctrinal differences have led to a great deal of diversity of belief in the Christian tradition.
Students would be required to:
- complete writing- and research-based assignments in the divinity-oriented program.
- undertake assignments including exegetical papers in which students must critically examine a section of the biblical text.
- complete subsidiary courses in Greek and Hebrew entailing a great deal of work in translation.
- learn to read and pronounce these ancient languages.
- commit to memory some of the most common Greek and Hebrew words used in the Bible.
The average annual course fee in India ranges between INR 20,000 and 2 lacs, depending upon the institute offering the course. The average annual salary offered in India to successful graduates of the course ranges between INR 2 and 10 lacs, depending upon the candidate’s expertise in the field.
Top Colleges for Bachelor of Divinity [B.Div]
- BA in Delhi-NCR
- BA in Maharashtra
- BA in Chennai
- BA in Uttar Pradesh
- BA in Telangana
Bachelor of Divinity: Course Highlights
Tabulated below are some of the major highlights of the course.
|Course Level||Under Graduate|
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||10+2 from a recognized university|
|Admission Process||Counselling after qualification of entrance examination|
|Top recruiting organizations||Warner university, Indiana Wesleyan university, all churches.|
|Top recruiting areas||Churches, schools, etc.|
|Top job profiles||Pastor, Religion Leader, Educator, Scholar, and such.|
|Course Fee||INR 20,000 to 2 lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 2 to 10 lacs|
Bachelor of Divinity: What is it About?
Divinity is a field most appropriate for students who wish to:
- enter Christian ministry or leadership.
- prepare for further graduate study in Christian education.
- pursue their own spiritual formation and growth.
- move into non-ministry careers in business, writing, communications, and more.
College and universities that offer the course may allow students an opportunity to major in various areas, religious studies, such as ministry, or biblical studies. The program mostly follows a standard semester format.
The program’s length may be shortened if a student has transferable credits from work completed at other schools to bring into the divinity-based program.
Top Institutes offering Bachelor of Divinity
Some of the top institutes offering the course in the country are listed below with the corresponding locations and fees charged by the each.
|NAME OF INSTITUTE||CITY||AVERAGE ANNUAL FEES|
|Aizawl Theological College||Mizoram||INR 38,450|
|Allahabad Bible Seminary||Uttar Pradesh||INR 34,500|
|Andhra Christian Theological College||Hyderabad||INR 17,595|
|AP Theological University||Vishakhapatnam||INR 17,595|
|Baptist Theological College||Nagaland||INR 21,000|
|Beacon Baptist Theological College and Seminary||Bangalore||INR 30,000|
|Bethel Bible College||Guntur||INR 34,000|
|Bharat Bible College||Andhra Pradesh||INR 25,000|
|Bishop’s College||Kolkata||INR 25,000|
|Calvin Institute of Technology||Andhra Pradesh||INR 60,000|
|Clark Theological College||Nagaland||INR 1,79,000|
|Dharma Jyoti Vidyapeeth||Faridabad||INR 70,000|
|Eastern Theological College||Assam||INR 34,000|
|Faith Theological Seminary||Kerala||INR 46,000|
Eligibility for Bachelor of Divinity
Candidates aspiring for admission to the course are required to fulfill the following minimum eligibility criteria.
- Graduation or another such equivalent course in a relevant discipline, completed from a recognized university.
- A minimum aggregate score of 50% at the 10+2 level.
- Candidates appearing for the final 10+2 examinations are also eligible to apply for the course on provisional basis.
|Bachelor of Divinity in Karnataka||Bachelor of Divinity in Punjab||Bachelor of Divinity in Uttar Pradesh||Bachelor of Divinity in Telangana|
Bachelor of Divinity: Admission Process
Most institutes offering the course in India admit students based on their performance in a relevant entrance test. Some institutes conduct their own entrance tests for offering admission. Admission process generally varies across colleges.
A few institutes also provide direct admission based on the candidate’s score at the 10+2 level and relevant aptitude for this offbeat course.
Latest Bachelor of Divinity [B.Div] Admission Alert
- JNU BA (Hons) Admission 2019
- Jamia Millia Islamia UG Admissions 2019
- Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning (SSSIHL) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Fees
- Rashtriya Sanskrit Vidyapeetha UG Admission 2019: Courses, Application Process, Eligibility
- Maulana Azad University (MANUU) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Results, Cut Off, Dates, Fees
- Kakatiya University (KU) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Time Table, Results
Bachelor of Divinity: Syllabus and Course Description
A year - wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is tabulated below.
|Group dynamics||Introduction to spirituality|
|Time management||Introduction to bible|
|Spiritual direction||Scientific methodology|
|Spirituality of Synoptic Gospels||Pneumatology|
|Johnnie Spirituality||Sacraments in General|
|Acts of the Apostles||Eucharist|
|Christology||Prayer & Mysticism|
Bachelor of Divinity: Career Prospects
Successful graduates of the course can seek career options in capacities such as:
- Religious writer
- Youth pastors
- Pastoral care staff
- Leaders of women’s or men’s ministry teams
- Assistant/ Associate pastor.
They are recruited by faith-based non-profit organizations.
Armed with a range of transferable skills highly valued by employers, such postgraduates:
- live in increasingly multi-cultural and multi-religious societies.
- understand the ways those different religious communities work together.
- explore how organisations can have a successful relationship with clients from different backgrounds.
- possess knowledge of other valuable disciplines such as:
- understand global economy with vision, creativity, and religious sensitivity.
Some of the top professional profiles open to such graduates are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions.
|JOB POSITION||JOB DESCRIPTION||AVERAGE ANNUAL SALARY|
|Missionary||Missionary studies prepare students to share their faith with people of other cultures in various locations around the world. They provide humanitarian outreach, start churches abroad, and translate religious texts. They often may help create a written language in cultures where only oral communication exists. Trough sermons, they address cross-cultural issues, the history of missions, evangelism and theology. Education in this area typically covers methods for choosing church officials, meeting community opposition, and managing finances.||INR 3,60,000|
|Educator||High School Teachers work for schools that enrol students from grades 9-12. They typically instruct students on a single subject, such as English, Science, Math, History, Language, or Art. They plan curricula, cover basic topics from Algebra to advanced information on Psychology. They play an influential role in students' lives. Students apply what they learn to their future endeavours. Teaching can be rewarding, they may have challenging jobs when dealing with unmotivated or disruptive students.||INR 5,00,000|
|Scholar||They conduct research under the direction, guidance, and supervision of their faculty mentors at a schedule agreed to by their research mentor. Scope of the research project and expectations of their performance are decided between them and their mentor. The focus of their project changes, as they need to discuss those changes with their mentors. They ensure that any requirements set by their college are in accordance with the university-wide requirements outlined.||INR 2,94,000|
|Religious Leader||Religious Leaders need to be prepared to work long hours. Religious ceremonies must be performed at set times of the day or week, and they need to be available to members of their community whenever needed. They perform ceremonies at places of worship. Posts are based in prisons, hospitals, or with the armed forces. They also spend time visiting people in their homes, schools, hospitals, prisons, or care homes.||INR 4,80,000|
|Pastor||Church and each of its ministers is unique. Every church’s position description would show variance in some areas of leadership and expectations. Educational qualifications for those who are professional Church Leaders include a college degree and a Master of Divinity degree or its equivalent. Salary benefits such as retirement and professional expenses such as conference expense, education, and time off vary in churches of varying sizes and ability to pay. Items would typically be negotiated and agreed upon with the minister at the time of employment, and reviewed at least annually.||INR 6,20,000|