B.Tech. Information Technology or B.Tech (IT) is an undergraduate academic degree offered in India which focuses mainly on computers and technology. It is generally a 4 year course and the minimum eligibility required for this course is an intermediate or 10+2 from a recognized board or university.
B.Tech. Information Technology is offered by many private and public colleges in India. You have to study minimum of 5 subjects during the course of the program. Tuition fee for B.Tech (IT) may range from 30, 000 to 50,000 in government colleges. The fee structure may vary among the government and private institutions.
A fresher holding a B.Tech (IT) degree can expect a salary between Rs. 15000 to Rs. 30000 every month. An individual pursuing this course can get jobs in companies like Google, Infosys, Adobe, Microsoft, TCS, Siemens, BEL, Accenture and work in different profiles as an IT content Developer, software developer, system analyst etc.
What is the Course about?
B.Tech. Information Technology or B.Tech (IT) is the field of study, devise, development, execution, support and running of computer-based information systems. Information Technology or IT is an engineering division that covers both software and hardware sectors. It helps to generate, manage, store, communicate, and flow information.
It is a different course from computer science degree as it mostly emphasizes on management and information science and less on mathematics. B.Tech (IT) focuses on business and communication.
Who should opt for the course?
If you love computers and programming, building and breaking things and implementing your own ideas, then B.Tech Information Technology is the best choice for you. Information Technology is one of the most booming and growing sector of Indian economy.
Top Colleges for Bachelor of Technology [B.Tech] (Information Technology)
- Bachelor of Technology [B.Tech] (Information Technology) in Tamil Nadu
- Bachelor of Technology [B.Tech] (Information Technology) in Uttar Pradesh
- Bachelor of Technology [B.Tech] (Information Technology) in Haryana
- Bachelor of Technology [B.Tech] (Information Technology) in Punjab
- Bachelor of Technology [B.Tech] (Information Technology) in Rajasthan
Duration of B. Tech (IT)
Bachelor of Technology in Information Technology is a 4 years long course divided into 8 semesters. Each year is divided into two semesters. The course can be extended up to a maximum of 7 years.
It can be done in two ways:-
- Regular Mode- The minimum duration to finish the course in regular mode is 4 years and maximum is 6-7 years.
- Distance learning Mode- The minimum duration to finish the course in distance learning mode is 4 years and maximum is 6-8 years.
Top Institutes offering B.Tech Information Technology course are:-
Presently there are several Colleges and Universities offering B.Tech (IT) course. Some of these are mentioned below:-
|National Institute of Technology||Surathkal|
|Birla Institute of Technology.||Patna, Bihar|
|Jadavpur University (Faculty of Engineering & Technology)||Kolkata|
|Indian Institute of Information Technology, Allahabad||Uttar Pradesh|
|Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology||Uttar Pradesh|
|PSG College of Technology||Tamil Nadu|
|Bengal Engineering and Science University||West Bengal|
|Dhirubhai Ambani Institute of Information and Communication Technology (DA-IICT)||Gujarat|
|Manipal Institute of Technology||Karnataka|
|R.V.College of Engineering||Karnataka|
|Veermata Jijabai Technological Institute||Maharashtra|
|Nirma University - Institute of Technology||Gujarat|
|Coimbatore Institute of Technology (CIT)||Tamil Nadu|
|Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT)||Tamil Nadu|
|Maharashtra Institute of Technology||Maharashtra|
|National Institute of Engineering||Mysore|
|BMS College of Engineering||Karnataka|
The course is also available in distance learning mode, where student doesn’t require going to college regularly and can still pursue the course.
Some colleges that offer B.Tech IT course in distance learning mode are as follows:-
· International Institute of Engineering and Management, Mumbai
· Mahatma Gandhi University, New Delhi
· Annamalai University, Kolkata
· Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU), New Delhi
ACADEMIC OPTIONS AFTER B.TECH (IT)
Students who wish to continue studies after completion of their B.Tech. degree in IT have multiple options to choose from. An obvious option is an M.Tech. degree in Information Technology. Some other options are listed below:
- PG Diploma in Information Technology (2 years)
- M.Sc. in Information Technology
- Certificate course in embedded technology, VLSI, robotics, ethical hacking, etc.
Eligibility Of the Bachelor of Technology [B.Tech] (Information Technology)
Any person who has cleared XII with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics (PCM) from a recognized board or institution like CBSE or state board is eligible to go for this course.
How to Get Admission in Bachelor of Technology [B.Tech] (Information Technology)
You can get into this course by three ways:-
Entrance Exams: - Majority of the colleges have set entrance exam as a criteria to get into this course. This entrance exam can be conducted by a recognized board or State sponsored universities.
There are various Entrance Exams for Engineering in India to get into this course. But some entrance tests that are held at national level can help you get admission into prestigious colleges.
Latest Bachelor of Technology [B.Tech] (Information Technology) Admission Alert
- Andhra University Integrated B.Tech.- M.Tech Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Result
- Sri Venkateswara University (SVU) B.Tech Admission 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
- Sri Krishnadevaraya University (SKU) B.Tech and B.Arch Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
- MANUU B.Tech and B.Ed Admission 2019: Courses, Results, Cut Off, Dates, Fees
- Koneru Lakshmaiah University (KLU) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Placement, Result, Fees
- JNTU Kakinada B.Tech Admissions 2019: Courses, Entrance Exam, Result
Joint Entrance Examination
JEE or Joint Entrance Examination is carried out in the month of April for admission to government aided engineering colleges. It is divided into two steps:-
Lakhs of student all over India give this examination so that they can get admission in various reputed engineering colleges like IITs. A weightage of minimum 40% in XII examination is necessary to give this examination.
- IIT JEE: Admission criteria to B.Tech (IT) include marks scored in 10+2 level examination and in the Joint Entrance Examination, JEE (Main).
- JEE Advance: JEE (Main) is also an eligibility test for the JEE (Advanced), which the candidate has to take if he or she wants to enroll in B.Tech (IT) offered by the IITs.
Direct Admissions: - There are many private universities and colleges like Rajasthan Technical University, Kota that offer direct admission to this course.
Lateral entry: - There are some colleges like Jaypee Institute of Information Technology that offer lateral entry to this course. The individuals who have done three year diploma in engineering or an equivalent degree can get a direct admission in the second year of the B.Tech (IT) course.