MD in Obstetrics and Gynecology is a 2-year full-time postgraduate course in medicine. Obstetrics and Gynecology are the two surgical–medical specialties dealing with the female reproductive organs in their pregnant and non-pregnant state, respectively, and as such, are often combined to form a single medical specialty and postgraduate training program.
The course includes major components of study such as:
- Obstetrics Pathology, Gynecological Pathology, Operative Obstetrics & Gynecology.
- Medical & Surgical Diseases, Complication in Obstetrics & Gynecology.
- Social Obstetrics & Gynecology, Abnormal Pregnancies, Common Disorders & Systemic Diseases associated with pregnancy.
- Common Obstetrical Operations, Infant Care, Neonatal hygiene, Breast feeding.
- Artificial feeding, Management of premature child, Asphyxia, Birth injuries, Common Disorders of New-born babies, etc.
Some of the institutes that offer the course in India are listed here:
- DAV College, Chandigarh
- Armed Forces Medical College, Pune
- Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi
- Lady Harding Medical College, New Delhi
- Jawaharlal Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education and Research [JIPMER], Pondicherry.
Top Colleges for Doctorate of Medicine [MD] (Obstetrics & Gynaecology)
- Doctorate of Medicine [MD] (Obstetrics & Gynaecology) in Tamil Nadu
- Doctorate of Medicine [MD] (Obstetrics & Gynaecology) in Maharashtra
- Doctorate of Medicine [MD] (Obstetrics & Gynaecology) in Gujarat
- Doctorate of Medicine [MD] (Obstetrics & Gynaecology) in Karnataka
- Doctorate of Medicine [MD] (Obstetrics & Gynaecology) in Uttar Pradesh
Some of the top entrance tests conducted for admission to the course in India are:
- JIPMER PG
- NEET PG
- AIIMS PG
- COMEDK PGET
- CMC Vellore
- PU CET.
The basic eligibility criterion for pursuing the course is the successful completion of MBBS from an institute recognized by the Medical Council of India or any of the State Medical Councils, and with a minimum aggregate score of 50%.
Admission to the course is based on the candidate’s performance in a relevant entrance exam.
The average tuition fee charged for the course in India ranges between INR 10,000 to 5 Lacs.
Successful graduates of the course can expect anything between INR 3 to 20 lacs as annual salary in the industry, increasing with experience and skillset.
Such graduates are hired in capacities such as:
- Obstetrician/ Gynecologist, Senior Registrar, Lecturer, Clinical Associate.
- Junior Consultant, Senior Resident, Consultant, General Physician, etc.
MD in Obstetrics & Gynecology: Course Highlights
Listed below are some of the major highlights of the course.
|Course Level||Post Graduation|
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||MBBS with minimum 50% marks in aggregate.|
|Admission Process||Entrance Exam + Group Discussion/ Personal Interview|
|Average Course Fee||INR 10,000 to 5 Lacs|
|Average Salary||INR 3 to 20 lacs per annum|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Fortis Healthcare, MAX Healthcare, Care Hospitals, Indian Council of Medical Research, Apollo Hospitals, Kailash Hospital, Adecco India Private Limited, Jaypee healthcare limited, Meditrina Hospitals Private Limited, etc.|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Colleges & Universities, Medical Colleges, Govt./ Pvt. Hospitals, Content Writing (Medical), Nursing Homes, Medical Labs, among others.|
|Job Positions||Obstetrician/ Gynecologist, Senior Registrar, Lecturer, Clinical Associate, Junior Consultant, Senior Resident, Consultant, General Physician, and suchlike.|
MD in Obstetrics & Gynecology: What is it About?
The program includes a comprehensive, advanced study of the entire clinical pathology associated with the female reproductive organs, and provision of care to both non-pregnant and pregnant patients.
As an academic discipline, Gynecology and Obstetrics consists of course components such as:
- Pregnancy-related common diseases, obstetrics pathology, abnormalities during pregnancy.
- Obstetrical operations, gynecological pathology, infant care, premature child treatment.
- Breast feeding and artificial feeding, general diseases in infants, labor complications, etc.
- Research-based study of clinical and surgical training in gynecology.
Top Institutes offering MD in Obstetrics & Gynaecology
Listed below are some of the top institutes in India that offer the course.
|Name of Institute||City|| Average Fees|
|All India Institute of Medical Sciences||New Delhi, Delhi NCR||1,944|
|Christian Medical College||Vellore, Tamil Nadu||1,17,000|
|Armed Forces Medical College||Pune, Maharashtra||64,400|
|Kasturba Medical College||Mangalore, Karnataka||12,50,000|
|Maulana Azad Medical College||New Delhi, Delhi NCR||10,000|
|Jawaharlal Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education and Research - [JIPMER]||Pondicherry||6,200|
|Lady Harding Medical College||New Delhi, Delhi NCR||10,000|
|Madras Medical College||Chennai, Tamil Nadu||13,667|
|Grant Medical College||Mumbai, Maharashtra||82,400|
|Sri Ramachandra University||Chennai, Tamil Nadu||14,00,000|
|Government Medical College||Amritsar, Punjab||11,000|
|Lokmanya Tilak Municipal Medical College||Mumbai, Maharashtra||86,825|
|Christian Medical College||Ludhiana, Punjab||1,33,000|
|Osmania Medical College||Hyderabad, Telangana||66,666|
|Byramjee Jeejeebhoy Government Medical College - [BJMC], Pune||Pune, Maharashtra||72,650|
|Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education and Research||Kolkata, West Bengal||10,000|
|Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute||Bangalore, Karnataka||95,000|
|SMS Medical College||Jaipur, Rajasthan||6,000|
|Government Medical College||Surat, Gujarat||14,000|
|Government Medical College||Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala||61,667|
Eligibility for MD in Obstetrics & Gynecology
Listed below are the minimum criteria which candidates interested in pursuing the course are required to fulfil, in order to be eligible to apply for the course.
- MBBS from an institute recognized by the Medical Council of India or any of the State Medical Councils.
- A minimum aggregate score of 50% at the level of MBBS.
- A compulsory 1-year rotating internship in the department.
|Top Ms In Obstetrics Colleges In Karnataka||TOP MS IN OBSTETRICS COLLEGES IN MAHARASHTRA||TOP MS IN OBSTETRICS COLLEGES IN UTTAR PRADESH||TOP MS IN OBSTETRICS COLLEGES IN KERALA|
MD in Obstetrics & Gynecology: Admission Process
Most institutes offering the course admit students based on performance in a relevant entrance test, mostly, NEET PG, often followed by a round of personal interview, wherein their general aptitude for the course is tested. Admission process generally varies across colleges.
A few institutes also conduct their own entrance tests for admission to the course in the country.
Listed below are some of the top entrance exams conducted in the country for admission to the course.
- NEET PG
- JIPMER PG
- AIIMS PG
- COMEDK PGET
- CMC Vellore
- PU CET
- DNB CET
- AP EAMCET
- MU OET
- KARNATAK PHCET
Latest Doctorate of Medicine [MD] (Obstetrics & Gynaecology) Admission Alert
- Sri Venkateswara Institute of Medical Sciences (SVIMS) MD Admissions 2019: Courses, Merit List, Fees
- Dr. NTR University of Health Sciences (NTRUHS) MD, MS and MDS Admission 2019: Courses, Dates, Placement, Fees
- CMC Ludhiana PG Admission 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Fees
- Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham PG Medical, Dental and Pharmacy Admission 2019
- Jagadguru Sri Shivarathreeswara (JSS) University MD/MS/MDS Admissions 2019
- NIMHANS UG and PG Admission 2019: Courses, Application Form, Entrance Exam Date, Result
MD in Obstetrics & Gynecology: Syllabus and Course Description
listed here are the major theoretical components of study that form part of the course’s curriculum.
- Basic sciences as related to Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Obstetrics including diseases of Neonates
- Principles and Practice of Gynecology and Gynecological Pathology
- Recent Advances in Obstetrics & Gynecology.
MD in Obstetrics & Gynecology: Career Prospects
Qualified and trained gynecologists are hired across nursing homes, government hospitals, private clinics, pharmaceutical organizations, etc.
Successful postgraduates of the course may even choose to pursue private practice, or take up advanced research in the field through courses such as Ph.D. in a given branch of gynecology.
Some of the popular professional avenues open to successful graduates of the course are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions.
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Pay Scale in INR|
|Obstetrician/ Gynecologist||An Obstetrician/ Gynecologist is a therapeutic doctor who specializes in women’s reproductive health, such as maintenance, fertility of reproductive organs, and treatment of reproductive abnormalities.||1,220,838|
|Professors||Professors teach students in a wide range of disciplines at the post-secondary level. They deliver scholarly articles, perform research, and instruct in the area of specialization.||9,13,657|
|General Physician||General Physicians diagnose, treat, and manage a wide range of conditions, including sprains, infections and flus, and determine if the condition warrants a specialist or more intensive care.||5,33,931|