BA in Statistics is a 3-year undergraduate course in the field of Applied Mathematics. The course covers a range of subjects of study including collection, organization, and interpretation of data, and representation of numerical and categorical data.
Top Institutes offering this course are:
- St. Xavier’s College, Ahmedabad
- Elphinstone College, Mumbai
- Banasthali Vidyapith, Jaipur
- University of Lucknow, Lucknow
- Sai Nath University, Ranchi
|Bachelor of Arts in Uttar Pradesh||Bachelor of Arts in Andhra Pradesh||Bachelor of Arts in Assam||Bachelor of Arts in Maharashtra|
Candidates aspiring for admission to the course need to have attained the 10+2 or equivalent qualification in any stream from a recognized university, however, Mathematics/ Business Mathematics at the +2 level are preferred as main subjects of study. The average fee charged in India for the course ranges around INR 25,000, and the average annual salary offered to successful graduates of the course ranges between INR 3.5 and 4.5 lacs.
B.A. Statistics: Course Highlights
The basic highlights of the course are tabulated below:
|Eligibility||10+2 or equivalent qualification|
|Admission Process||Cut-off based direct admission/ Entrance Test|
|Course Fee||INR 25,000 per annum|
|Average starting salary||INR 4 lacs per annum|
|Top recruiters||Google and Facebook|
Top Colleges for Bachelor of Arts [BA] (Statistics)
- Bachelor of Arts [BA] (Statistics) in Assam
- Bachelor of Arts [BA] (Statistics) in Uttar Pradesh
- Bachelor of Arts [BA] (Statistics) in Andhra Pradesh
- Bachelor of Arts [BA] (Statistics) in Gujarat
- Bachelor of Arts [BA] (Statistics) in Karnataka
B.A. Statistics: What’s it about?
The course is designed to build the skills to apply statistics and in daily life. The program’s curriculum covers subjects of study such as Actuarial Science, Applied Mathematics, Business Stats, Phycological Matrixes, and Probability. The course aims to bolster enrolled students’ skills in Mathematics, and adequately prepare students to become efficient Researchers, Teachers, and Statisticians serving in the corporate domain.
The course aims to develop in candidates:
- Aptitude for deducing statistical data from findings, and research skills.
- Ability to apply mathematical principles to conducts surveys and to interpret results that apply across communities.
- Skills to orient their academic training towards practical application
- An analytical approach through subjects of study such as calculus, multivariate analysis, and data analysis.
B.A. Statistics: Top Institutes
Listed below are some of the top institutes offering the course in the country with the corresponding locations and fees charged by each.
|NAME OF INSTITUTE||STATE||MINIMUM ELIGIBILITY||AVERAGE ANNUAL FEE IN INR|
|I.C.G College for Girls||Rajasthan||10+2||50,000|
|Andhra Loyola College||Andhra Pradesh||10+2||3,000|
|B.L.D.E.A. Arts and Commerce College for Women||Karnataka||10+2||15,000|
|B.H.H. College for Women||Andhra Pradesh||10+2||10,000|
B.A. Statistics: Eligibility
Candidates aspiring for admission to the course need to have:
- attained 10+2 or equivalent qualification from a recognized educational Board
- had Mathematics/ Business Mathematics as the main subjects of study at the 10+2 level
- a minimum aggregate score of 50% in 10+2.
- qualified a relevant entrance examination in some cases.
|Bachelor of Arts in Bihar||Bachelor of Arts in Orissa||Bachelor of Arts in Karnataka||Bachelor of Arts in Madhya Pradesh|
B.A. Statistics: Admission Process
The process of admission to the course may vary across institutes. Some institutes conduct their own entrance exams for admission, while some select students on the basis of their score at the level of graduation, completed from a recognized college/university.
Latest Bachelor of Arts [BA] (Statistics) Admission Alert
- JNU BA (Hons) Admission 2019
- Jamia Millia Islamia UG Admissions 2019
- Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning (SSSIHL) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Fees
- Rashtriya Sanskrit Vidyapeetha UG Admission 2019: Courses, Application Process, Eligibility
- Maulana Azad University (MANUU) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Results, Cut Off, Dates, Fees
- Kakatiya University (KU) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Time Table, Results
B.A. Statistics: Syllabus and Course Description
The course spans 3 years and is divided into 6 semesters. Practical lessons in advanced Computer Applications are included in the course’s curriculum along with course-specific knowledge. Subjects of study include probability theory, application, and research.
|Statistical Methods||Introduction to Linear Algebra|
|Probability Theory||Differential Equations|
|Data Analysis||Elementary Interface|
|Linear Models||Statistical Methods 2|
|Sample Surveys||Computer Practical|
|Design of Experiments||Operations Research|
|Parametric and Non-Parametric Tests||Statistical Control|
|Computer Practical||Applied Statistics|
B.A. Statistics: Academic Options
Successful graduates of the course interested in pursuing further studies in the discipline may go for pursuing Ph.D. in Statistics and Applied Mathematics. Aligarh Muslim University, Allahabad University, Amity University are some of the popular Indian universities that offer options for post-graduation in the field.
B.A. Statistics: Training Options
Owing to the importance of practical training in the discipline, industry exposure is laid much emphasis on. The course includes industry-based internships at the end of the second year. Students are encouraged to intern in related organizations and in relevant departments to gather field knowledge and practical exposure. Summer internships usually last from 6 to 8 weeks.
B.A. Statistics: Career Prospects
Statistics has a wide scope of application across areas such as climate change, terrorism, medicine, economics, etc. It allows one to explore what is hidden behind numbers. Qualified trained Statisticians may assume roles such as Analyst, or pursue academic research.
|JOB POSITION||JOB DESCRIPTION||AVERAGE ANNUAL SALARY IN INR|
|Business Analyst||They analyse past trends and forecast new trends. A Business Analyst plays a vital part in how the company anticipates and responds to the market and its trends.||5 lacs|
|Academic Researcher||Academic Researchers draw insights from statistical data to analyse and predict further scope of development of theorems and their applicability.||2 lacs|
|School Teacher||They teach middle and high school levels in Mathematics and Statistics||4 lacs|
|Credit Risk Analyst||They work for insurance companies and evaluate feasibility and profitability of products and services||5 lacs|
|Actuarial Scientist||They work for finance and insurance companies and use statistical models to explain deviations||6 lacs|
|Econometrician||Econometricians work for government agencies and conduct sample surveys to explain and anticipate trends in the market’s, and even country’s economy.||4 lacs|