Post Graduate Diploma (PGD) in T.B. & Chest disease is a specialized medical course for the treatment of Tuberculosis and chest-related diseases. The course is of two-year duration which can be pursued after the completion of Bachelor’s level of education in Medicine, i.e. MBBS.
Post Graduate Diploma in TB & Chest disease course admission is done via entrance exams as well as on the basis of merit, i.e. the percentage of marks obtained by the candidate at their undergraduate level of education. Entrance exams like NEET are conducted for providing admission to the candidates. Certain colleges/universities, like AIIMS conduct their own exam apart from the common exams conducted.
Candidates with a minimum score of 55% (Relaxable for reserved category students) marks are eligible to apply for admission to the course. They must have obtained an undergraduate degree from a recognized central or state/private/deemed university.
Some of the popular colleges/universities offer the course are:
- AJ Institute of Medical Sciences and Research Centre
- Amrita School of Medicine
- Andhra Medical College
- Aryabhatta Knowledge University
- Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute
- BJ Medical College
- Dr. DY Patil Medical College
- Dr. DY Patil Vidyapeeth
- Government Medical College
The average annual fee for the course ranges from INR 60,000 to 5, 00,000 in various colleges and universities across the country. The variation in fee is based on the location and nature of university (that is government, state/private/deemed etc.).Post graduates can look for job opportunities with Hospitals, Clinics, research center, pharmaceutical lab, pathology labs etc.
A new entrant in the job market can expect a starting salary in the range of INR 22,000 to INR 26,000. The variation in salary depends upon various factors such as:
- Placement record of college
- Candidate’s academic performance
- Status/Market value of the recruiting firm
- Candidate’s performance in the selection rounds
Post Graduate Diploma in TB & Chest Disease: Course Highlights
|Course Level||Post Graduate Diploma|
|Duration of the Course||2 years|
|Eligibility||Minimum score of 55% (Relaxable for reserved category students) marks at UG level|
|Admission Process||Entrance exam based /Merit-based|
|Course Fee||INR 60,000 to INR 5 Lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 22,000 to 26,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Hospitals, Clinics, Research Center, Pharmaceutical Lab, Pathology Labs|
|Job Positions||Medical-In-charge, Medical Consultant, Researcher, Lab Supervisor, and Specialist doctor etc.|
Post Graduate Diploma in TB and Chest: What is it about?
Tuberculosis forms the majority of the disease burden that the country is facing due to communicable diseases. India is said to have the largest number of T.B. patients in the world. With the increase in the pollution level and toxicity of air, there is a parallel surge in respiratory and chest related diseases as well.
The expansion of the problem has paved the way for more medical experts in the domain that can address the demands of the patient. In a country where there is already a shortage of doctors to meet the requirements of the general public, finding a domain specialist has become difficult.
A postgraduate diploma level course in the domain of TB and Chest related disease aims at supplying those qualified specialists that are capable enough to meet the medication and rehabilitation need of the patients suffering from these diseases. The course aims to achieve this through its structure, design, and teaching methodology.
Top Institutes offering Post Graduate Diploma in TB and Chest
Post Graduate Diploma in TB & Chest disease is offered by numerous colleges/universities across the country to candidates who have passed their UG (MBBS) examination from a recognized state or central University. Students can take admission in the course through Common Entrance Test conducted by certain exam conducting authorities such as National Examination Board as well as separate exams conducted by respective colleges/Universities (like AIIMS) that are offering this course.
For your reference, we have tabled down a list of various colleges/universities that are offering this course in India.
|Institute||City||Average Fee (Per annum basis)|
|AJ Institute of Medical Sciences and Research Centre||Mangalore||INR 2,22000|
|Amrita School of Medicine||Kochi||INR 3,50,000|
|Andhra Medical College||Vizag||INR 2,73,500|
|Aryabhatta Knowledge University||Patna||INR 15,000|
|Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute||Bangalore||INR 27,500|
|BJ Medical College||Ahmadabad||INR 3,500|
|Dr. DY Patil Medical College||Mumbai||INR 7,50,250|
|Dr. DY Patil Vidyapeeth||Pune||INR 7,47,500|
|Government Medical College||Bhavnagar||INR 5,200|
PG Diploma in TB and Chest Disease: Eligibility Criteria
Candidates must fulfil the below-mentioned eligibility criteria for getting admission in PG Diploma in TB and Chest.
- They must have passed MBBS exam from a recognized state/private/deemed or central University.
- He/she must have obtained at least 55% (45% to 50% for reserved category candidates) of marks at graduation level.
- He/She should not have any backlog or compartment in any of the subject at UG level that is yet to be cleared at the time of taking admissions.
Apart from the above-mentioned eligibility criteria’s various colleges and institutes may have their own additional criteria’s (like work experience in some health establishment) which the students would have to satisfy in order to take admission.
- In case of reserved category students, they would have to present their reservation certificates issued by the competent authorities in order to avail the benefits applicable to them.
- Most of the Institutes grant admissions through Merit-based/Common Entrance Test (CET) (like NEET). To get admissions in these institutes candidates would have to qualify the respective entrance exam by securing minimum qualifying marks.
PG Diploma in TB and Chest Disease: Admission Process
Admission to this course mostly involves a common entrance test based admission process. For more clarification and ease of understanding, we have mentioned the process of admission for this course in a more detailed manner under the below-mentioned points. Have a look at them.
- Students who have passed their UG level examination with a minimum of 55% marks (45% to 50% for reserved category students) can make application in colleges offering the course.
- Most of the institutes take admissions through entrance exams like NEET.
- Students have to qualify these exams (for which they should be eligible to appear) in order to get admission in the course.
- After the results are declared, a merit list of finally qualified candidates is prepared and candidates are invited for counseling cum admission process by the respective university or college.
- After counseling cum admission process final allotment of seats to the candidate takes place and the candidate is asked to deposit the fee for the course and register for the respective academic year.
- The new academic year begins after the completion of all the above processes.
Admission process would mostly be same across all the colleges and universities that are offering this course.
PG Diploma in TB and Chest Disease: Syllabus and Course Description
The course is spread over a span of two years and the syllabus is divided into various subjects and medical skills related to the domain. The syllabus covers all aspects related to TB and chest related disease so, as to provide a holistic understanding of the medical subject to the students. The details regarding syllabus of the course are mentioned below for the reference of the candidates.
|Year 1||Year 2|
|Science of pulmonary medicine||Pulmonary and Extra-Pulmonary disease|
|Practice of pulmonary medicine||Mycobacterial disease of lungs|
|Preventive aspects of TB||Diagnostic Procedures|
|Social aspects attached to Pulmonary disease||Obstructive diseases of the lungs|
|Advancement in Pulmonary medicine||Hypoventilation Syndrome and related disorders|
|Research work||Research (Final)|
|Viva Voce||Pulmonary and Extra-Pulmonary disease|
PGD in TB and Chest Disease: Who Should Opt?
All interested aspirants for the course must possess the below-mentioned skills
- Students who have done graduation in the Medical Domain.
- Those who have a career as a Medical specialist in Mind.
- Those who are looking for jobs in private/public health establishments.
- Those aiming at higher studies in the domain.
PG Diploma in TB and Chest Disease: Career Prospects
PGD in TB and chest related disease students have plenty of options to choose from in terms of their career. One can choose to work in areas such as Hospitals, Clinics, research center, pharmaceutical lab, pathology labs etc.
To provide you a holistic view of the career prospects of the course we have tabled certain areas and the respective roles attached to the same where PGD postgraduates can look for in terms of their career.
|Area/Domain||Role||Average Annual Salary|
|Specialist Doctor||The job of a specialist doctor in the domain involves visit to hospitals or clinics to attend patients suffering from TB and Chest Diseases.||INR 2.84-3.52 Lacs|
|Health Consultant||Health consultants are involved in providing valuable inputs and details in regards to medical policy formulation at the public level.||INR 2.92-3.65 Lacs|
|Medical officer||This a public sector job where a person is placed as an in charge of public health establishment involved in treating patients.||INR 4.8-5.3 Lacs|
|Researcher||The job of researcher involves analysis of latest trends and patterns in the spread and effect of disease and devising ways to tackle new and emerging challenges.||INR 3.23-3.45 Lacs|
|Epidemiologist||An Epidemiologist is involved in tracing and analyzing the various factors that are contributing to the prevalence of the disease.||INR 2.93-3.32 Lacs|