B.Tech. Biotechnology stands for Bachelor of Technology in Biotechnology. It is an under-graduate engineering program. Biotechnology is said to be a combination of biology and technology and it is an applied science.
The basic eligibility for this course is a pass in 10+2 with subjects like mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology etc.Like all engineering courses, the duration for this course is 4 years. The average tuition fees for this course is INR 1,20,000 to 10,50,000 .
After completing B.tech in biotechnology students have various career options like they can get jobs into chemical and textile industries, agricultural sectors, pharmaceutical firms and manufacturing industries. They can also get jobs in research laboratories run by government or private sectors. The average salary will be about INR5,00,000.The salary may vary according to the companies.
What is Biotechnology?
Biotechnology seeks to study Biology from a technological perspective. It is the study of biological processes and their utilization for industrial purposes such as studying microorganisms and utilize the knowledge for development of antibiotics, medicines etc.
B.Tech. Biotechnology: What is it about?
It is a multi-disciplinary course and utilizes concepts of Biology and Technology to develop trained professionals for the field of Biotechnology. B.Tech Biotechnology Syllabus is designed to expose the students to recent exciting developments in the area of Biotechnology and their application in industry, agriculture and medicine.
Top Colleges for Bachelor of Technology [B.Tech] (Biotechnology)
- Bachelor of Technology [B.Tech] (Biotechnology) in Tamil Nadu
- Bachelor of Technology [B.Tech] (Biotechnology) in Uttar Pradesh
- Bachelor of Technology [B.Tech] (Biotechnology) in Punjab
- Bachelor of Technology [B.Tech] (Biotechnology) in Maharashtra
- Bachelor of Technology [B.Tech] (Biotechnology) in Haryana
Academic Options after B.Tech. Biotechnology
Those who have completed this course can further pursue Masters of Engineering or Master of Technology by clearing GATE score for admission. Various other courses are:
- Master of Engineering in Bio-informatics
- Master of Engineering in Biotechnology
- Master of Technology in Biotechnology
- Master of Technology in Biotechnology and Bio-process Engineering
- Master of Technology in Biotechnology and Biochemical Engineering
- Master of Technology in Industrial Biotechnology
- Post Graduate Diploma in Ethics and Biotechnology
Certificate Courses after B.Tech. Biotechnology
It is better to do a certificate course after completing B.Tech in Biotechnology to easily get job in the field of biotechnology. Different certification courses are available that are given below:
- Certificate in Advanced Biotechnology
- Certificate in Biotechnology and Plant Tissue Culture
One year is needed to complete the certificate course in advanced biotechnology while only six months is enough for completing the certificate course in biotechnology and plant tissue culture.
B.Tech. Biotechnology: Top Institutes
There are more than 200 Colleges in India which offer a B.Tech. course in Biotechnology. Some of the top colleges for B.Tech. in Biotechnology are:
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- P.S.G. College of Technology, Coimbatore
- Delhi Technological University, Delhi
- National Institute of Technology, Warangal
- Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore
How to Get Admission in Bachelor of Technology [B.Tech] (Biotechnology)
The admissions to B.Tech Biotechnology is done either through a Common Entrance Test (CET) or merit based direct admission. Merit list is based on the marks obtained in 10+2. The application form for entrance exam is available from the month of February to March. The general process is explained in the figure below.
- Entrance Test
Latest Bachelor of Technology [B.Tech] (Biotechnology) Admission Alert
- Andhra University Integrated B.Tech.- M.Tech Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Result
- Sri Venkateswara University (SVU) B.Tech Admission 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
- Sri Krishnadevaraya University (SKU) B.Tech and B.Arch Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
- MANUU B.Tech and B.Ed Admission 2019: Courses, Results, Cut Off, Dates, Fees
- Koneru Lakshmaiah University (KLU) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Placement, Result, Fees
- JNTU Kakinada B.Tech Admissions 2019: Courses, Entrance Exam, Result
B.Tech Biotechnology: Entrance Test
The test includes questions from physics, chemistry, biology, mathematics and in some cases general English with syllabus of 10+2 followed by major universities. The marking scheme may differ for universities. There are around 200 questions and the duration for the exam is 2 hours. Generally there are fixed number of questions from each topic.
B.Tech Biotechnology: Selection Process
Selection is mostly based on the performance in the entrance test conducted by various institutes. Some weightage is also accorded to performance in 10+2 examination. Shortlisted candidates are further called for counselling after which they are offered admission to the institutes.
B.Tech Biotechnology: Lateral Entry
Some universities like Manipal University offer lateral entry in 2nd year .i.e. 3rd semester. The candidate must have 3 years Diploma in Engineering BSc with PCM granted by the Board of Technical Examination of a State Government or passed a Degree from a recognized University with atleast 45% marks and passed 12th standard with Mathematics as a subject.
Universities like Manav Rachna International University offers lateral entry after 3rd year.
B.Tech Biotechnology: Distance Education
Certain Universities like Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology offer distance education which includes flexibility of the distance mode.