B.A. in Music is a 3-year undergraduate course in music. Music comprises a combination of vocal music, instrumental music and various dance forms. Major course components involve:
- music theory
- music interpretation
- history of music
- music composition
- voice instruction, etc.
The course aims to build in eligible candidates:
- foundation in music literature and history.
- musical (vocal & instrumental) skills.
The basic eligibility for pursuing the course is a 10+2 or equivalent qualification in any stream, completed from a recognized educational Board of the country. Music should have been an elective subject at the 10+2 level of education. For those not having studied Music as an elective subject, qualification of an audition/ aptitude test is an option.
Such graduates are hired in capacities such as:
- Artist & Repertoire (A&R) Person
- Band Leader
- Music Attorney
- Assistant Art Director
- Concert Promoter
- Disc Jockey
- Film Music Director/Editor
- Music Critic
- Advertising Specialist
- Studio Musician
- Music Teacher
- Recording Technician
- Music Publisher
- Writer/Music Journalist etc.
The average tuition fee charged for the course in India ranges between INR 2,000 and 5 Lacs for a span of 3 years.
The average annual salary offered to successful graduates of the course ranges between INR 4 and 10 lacs per annum.
Similar Course Bachelor of Music
Top Colleges for Bachelor of Arts [BA] (Music)
- Bachelor of Arts [BA] (Music) in Himachal Pradesh
- Bachelor of Arts [BA] (Music) in Rajasthan
- Bachelor of Arts [BA] (Music) in Uttar Pradesh
- Bachelor of Arts [BA] (Music) in Maharashtra
- Bachelor of Arts [BA] (Music) in Tamil Nadu
B.A. in Music: Course Highlights
Listed below are some of the major highlights of the course.
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||10+2 from a recognized Board of education|
|Admission Process||Direct admission to colleges. Entrance test in some cases.|
|Course Fee||INR 2,000 to 5 Lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 4 to 10 lacs per annum|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Commission of Fine Arts, Cultural Affairs, Department of Education, Institute of Museum and Library Services, National Archives, National Capital Arts and Cultural Affairs, National Endowment for the Arts, National Endowment for the Humanities, NJ Department of Education, Office of International Education, Peace Corps/AmeriCorps, Smithsonian Institution, Travel and Tourism Department, Indian Idol, Bollywood, AIR, Voice of America, etc.|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Magazines, Advertising Agencies , Colleges and Universities, Music and Video Stores, Department of Cultural Affairs, Entertainment Companies, Music Companies, Department of Education, Music and Film Studios, Music Industry Associations, Orchestras and Bands, Performing Arts Centers, and such.|
|Job Positions||Artist & Repertoire (A&R) Person, Band Leader, Composer/Arranger, Music Attorney, Assist. Art Director, Concert Promoter, Disc Jockey, Film Music Director/Editor, Music Critic, Advertising Specialist, Studio Musician, Music Teacher, Recording Technician, Music Publisher, Singer/Performer, Writer/Music Journalist, among others.
B.A. in Music: What is it About?
Students enrolled to the course are prepared to:
- music educators
- music therapists
- music composers/ conductors.
- teach, perform, and research in music.
Ideal candidates for the course would possess:
- good communication skills
- technical skills
- critical reflection
- awareness of professional ethics in the arts world
- understanding of different perspectives and cultures
- understanding of music in community projects
- world/ethnic traditions related to music.
Top Institutes offering B.A. in Music
Listed below are some of the top institutes in India that offer the course.
|Name of Institute||City|| Average Fees|
|Christ University||Bangalore||INR 56,667 (course)|
|Miranda House College||New Delhi||INR 12,160 (course)|
|Hindu College||New Delhi||INR 14,333 (course)|
|Ramjas College||New Delhi||INR 9,712 (course)|
|Indraprastha College For Women||New Delhi||INR 6,663 (course)|
|Ranchi University||Ranchi||INR 2,370 (course)|
|Chhatrapati Shahu Ji Maharaj University||Kanpur||INR 28,000 (course)|
|Government Maharani Laxmi Bai Girls PG College||Indore||INR 1,030 (course)|
|Kanoria PG Mahila Mahavidyalaya||Jaipur||INR 3,667 (course)|
|Atal Bihari Vajpayee Hindi Vishwavidyalaya||Bhopal||INR 7,633 (course)|
|Dhirendra Mahila Mahavidyalaya||Varanasi||INR 2,055 (course)|
|Maharaja's College||Ernakulam||INR 1,985 (course)|
|Banasthali University||Jaipur||INR 54,333 (course)|
|Mahatma Gandhi Kashi Vidyapith||Varanasi||INR 2,055 (course)|
|University of Mumbai||Mumbai||INR 4,261 (course)|
|Bharati Vidyapeeth University||Pune||INR 16,000 (course)|
|University of Calicut||Calicut||INR 1,127 (course)|
|Annamalai University||Cuddalore||INR 4,127 (course)|
|Savitribai Phule Pune University||Pune||INR 26,090 (course)|
|MIT Art, Design and Technology University||Pune||INR 3,50,000 (course)|
|Banaras Hindu University||Varanasi||INR 2,374 (course)|
|Chaudhary Charan Singh University||Meerut||INR 24,820 (course)|
Eligibility for B.A. in Music
Listed below are the minimum criteria which candidates interested in pursuing the course are required to fulfil, in order to be eligible to apply for the course.
- 10+2 education completed in any stream from a recognized educational Board.
- Preferably, Music as an elective subject at the 10+2 level.
- A minimum aggregate score of 50% (45% for SC/ST/OBC candidates) at the 10+2 level.
- Basic proficiency in Music.
B.A. in Music: Admission Process
Most institutes offering the course admit students based on performance in a relevant entrance test. Admission process generally varies across colleges.
A few institutes also provide direct admission based on the candidate’s performance at the 10+2 level.
Some such entrance tests held in the country for admission to the course are:
- BMI University Lucknow Entrance Exam
- Annamalai University Entrance Exam
- BHU Performing Arts Entrance Exam
- Bangalore University Entrance Exam
- Gandharva Mahavidyalaya Entrance Exam
- Chennai Government College of Music Entrance Exam
- Indian Institute of Fine Arts Entrance Exam
- Mahatma Gandhi University Entrance Exam
- KU – Faculty of Arts Entrance Exam
- University of Delhi – The Faculty of Music and Fine Arts Entrance Exam.
Latest Bachelor of Arts [BA] (Music) Admission Alert
- JNU BA (Hons) Admission 2019
- Jamia Millia Islamia UG Admissions 2019
- Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning (SSSIHL) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Fees
- Rashtriya Sanskrit Vidyapeetha UG Admission 2019: Courses, Application Process, Eligibility
- Maulana Azad University (MANUU) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Results, Cut Off, Dates, Fees
- Kakatiya University (KU) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Time Table, Results
B.A. in Music: Syllabus and Course Description
A year-wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is tabulated here.
|Year I||Year II||Year III|
|Appreciation of Music||Concert Singing||Laws of Acoustics|
|Bada Khayal and Chhota Khayal||Different Gharanas and their history||Musical Sound, Wave Motion, Frequency, Pitch and Volume|
|Brief history of Bharat Natya Shastra and Sangeet Ratnakar||Evolution of Notation system||Music & Literature|
|Classification of Music||Forms of Light Music||Place of Music in Fine Arts|
|Concepts of Ragas and Tala in Indian Music||History of Indian Music||Role of Music in Multi-Media|
|Classification of Ragas||Importance of Music Festivals/Seminars/Conferences||Taal Study|
|-||-||Vocal and Instrumental Music|
B.A. in Music: Career Prospects
Such graduates can join various fields in the discipline, such as:
- art studios
- advertising companies
- publishing houses
- magazines/ Art houses as Art Critics or Arts Specialists.
Artists and craftsmen at times work as freelancers and make a living by selling artwork created by them. Mostly in a freelancing, acquiring a steady income is not possible. However, people with outstanding talent at times receive outstanding commissions for exquisite work.
Within this Fine Arts field, success prospects depend on an individual’s:
- interest, talent
- market awareness.
Some of the popular professional avenues open to successful graduates of the course are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions.