MDS is a postgraduate course in different disciplines of dentistry. A candidate has to be a BachelorofDentalScience from a recognized university in order to be eligible for this course.
M.D.S is a three-year program that has almost nine specialty disciplines. The course follows an annual system over semester system. The mode of admission is solely through Entrance Examination which is either conducted by a state, university, national level. Check MDS Syllabus
Since there is a lot of colleges both private and government the average tuition fee tends to vary a lot. However, at an average, the fees for the entire course would range from INR 10 to 25 Lacs
Since this a professional or a career-oriented course, students with an M.D.S degree can find various Career Options and Jobs in Dental departments of Hospitals, Dental Clinics, Research Centres, Educational Institutions as Dentists, Dental researcher, Dental Teacher etc. A fresh graduate of this course can expect an average annual salary of 1 Lakh INR to 2.5 Lakh INR. This salary would only increase with experience and on the type of hospitals and clinics.
Top Colleges for Master of Dental Surgery [MDS]
- Master of Dental Surgery [MDS] in Maharashtra
- Master of Dental Surgery [MDS] in Tamil Nadu
- Master of Dental Surgery [MDS] in Uttar Pradesh
- Master of Dental Surgery [MDS] in Karnataka
- MDS in Delhi-NCR
- MDS in Maharashtra
This course follows the annual mode of examination and hence has no semester system. This course is completed over the duration of three years.
About the Course
Dental Science or Dental Surgery is a branch of the medical sciences which deals with dental and oral health. This course imparts the knowledge and the skills to solve these dental and oral health problems which are faced by most of the human population.
In different colleges, students would find Master of Dental Health (Public Health) or some other variant. These are specializations and not an entirely different course. M.D.S provides the following specializations:
- Prosthodontics and Crown & Bridge
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics
- Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopaedics
- Oral Pathology and Microbiology
- Public Health Dentistry
- Paedodontics and Preventive Dentistry
- Oral Medicine and Radiology
Where to study?
This is a popular course which is present in many colleges and universities. Some of the Top Colleges for Master in Dental Sciences are as follows:
- Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Sciences, New Delhi
- Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Mangalore
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
- SDM College of Dental Sciences and Hospital, Dharwad
- AB Shetty Memorial Institute of Dental Sciences, Mangalore
Academic Options after MDS
After completing this course, interested students can further continue research in the same specialization as in their Master's degree and can pursue a Ph.D. in M.D.S. from top Ph.D. Dental science colleges like Jai Prakash Narayan All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Patna, AB Shetty Memorial Institute of Dental Sciences, Mangalore etc.
Eligibility Of the Master of Dental Surgery [MDS]
To be eligible for this course, the candidate has to be a Bachelor of Dental Science graduate from a recognised Dental College in India with a minimum of 50%.
Candidates possessing a PG Diploma recognised by Dental Council of India with the duration of two years is also eligible for MDS.
Some colleges like Manipal College of Dental Sciences also regard one year internship after BDS as an important factor for being eligible to the program.
How to Get Admission in Master of Dental Surgery [MDS]
Admission to the course is entirely on the basis of an Entrance Exam. Since, various colleges conduct different Entrance Examinations or follow the state or national level common entrance examination, it is important to keep a track of these different Entrance Exams.
Some of the important Entrance Exams for MDS are as follows:
- All India Post Graduate Dental Entrance Exam (AIPGDEE)
- Kerala University MDS Entrance Exam
- Manipal University MDS Entrance Exam
- Dr. D.Y.Patil All India Common Entrance Test (AICET)
- Bharti Vidyapeeth Dental College and Hospital MDS Entrance Exam
If the candidate is eligible, they can follow the process as given below:
- Fill in Application form
- Clear the Entrance Exam
- Admission to the program
The above mentioned entrance exams would include 200 multiple choice questions.
The time allowed for the exam is 2.5 to 3 hours and the paper is of 200 marks.
The paper consists of Negative marking from 0 to 1 mark.
The syllabus for the entrance exam is usually the syllabus followed in Bachelor of Dental Sciences. However few of the topics are as follows:
Latest Master of Dental Surgery [MDS] Admission Alert
- Dr. NTR University of Health Sciences (NTRUHS) MDS & MPT Admission 2019: Courses, Dates, Placement, Fees
- Dr. NTR University of Health Sciences (NTRUHS) MD, MS and MDS Admission 2019: Courses, Dates, Placement, Fees
- Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham PG Medical, Dental and Pharmacy Admission 2019
- Jagadguru Sri Shivarathreeswara (JSS) University MD/MS/MDS Admissions 2019
- KLE University MD, MS and MDS Admissions 2019
- NITTE University MD/MS & MDS Admission 2019
Students will entirely be assessed on their academic merit for the admission to the program.
To determine this academic merit, many universities and colleges might either take into account the score obtained in the state/ university/ national common entrance exam
They might regard the performance of the candidate in the entrance exam and the marks obtained in the Bachelor of Dental Sciences degree as the final evaluation for admission to the MDS program.