M.Sc. in Interior Design is a 2-year full-time post-graduate course divided into 4 semesters. The study defines and develops the essential concepts of interior design in order to:
- explore the relationship between the user and the space around students.
- understand the space that has evolved along with new trends and lifestyles.
- propose a research process that materialises into projects on the various kinds of spaces.
- experiment with a range of spaces which are residential.
Make such spaces viable in terms of:
- open approach
- commercial value
- exhibition, etc.
Students enrolled to the course are imparted advanced learning in:
- interior design environment.
- analysing, investigating, and examining designs of architecture, construction, art, other types of projects involving spaces.
- sensory experience in the spatial game.
- sensitive use of light, paths, transparency, rhythm and the tectonic condition of the materials.
- operation of design studios.
- direction of activities, artistic coordination, and artistic direction.
- designing in the hotel trade
- reclaiming and repurposing unused industrial and service areas.
- specialty areas, including sustainability, lighting, kitchen and bath, and universal design.
- exploring interior design programs around the world.
- Implementing context-based design.
- employing viable technical design solutions.
- assessing priorities of a space-based program.
- project budget control.
The average annual course fee in India ranges between INR 20,000 and 4 lacs, depending upon the institute offering the course.
The average annual salary offered in India to successful postgraduates of the course ranges between INR 2 and 10 lacs, depending upon the candidate’s expertise in the field.
Top Colleges for Master of Science [M.Sc] (Interior Design)
- M.Sc in Delhi-NCR
- M.Sc in Maharashtra
- M.Sc in Chennai
- M.Sc in Uttar Pradesh
- M.Sc in Telangana
M.Sc. in Interior Design: Course Highlights
Tabulated below are some of the major highlights of the course.
|Course Level||Post Graduate|
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Admission Process||CEPT Entrance Test, NATA, NID, CEED|
|Top recruiting organizations||Concentrix, UBIQUITY global services, AMTI, AFNI, etc.|
|Top recruiting areas||Architectural firms, hotels and resorts, and such.|
|Top job profiles||Interior Designer, Textile Designer, Architect Interior, among others.|
|Course Fee||INR 20,000 to 4 lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 2 to 10 lacs|
M.Sc. in Interior Design: What is it About?
Postgraduate interior design programs are intended to help students:
- grow professionally and culturally.
- learn how to interpret the expansive fields of interior and exterior design.
- grasp the technical, functional, aesthetic and technological aspects of space.
- understand how that space connects to the user and the overall purpose of the room.
- understand how to design more spaces, such as auditoriums, exhibitions, universities, and hospitals.
Top Institutes offering M.Sc. in Interior Design
Some of the top institutes offering the course in the country with the corresponding locations and fees charged by the respective colleges are listed below.
|NAME OF INSTITUTE||CITY||AVERAGE ANNUAL FEES|
|Lovely Professional University, Jalandhar||Jalandhar||INR 2,38,000|
|International Institute of Fashion Design, Mumbai||Mumbai||INR 36,000|
|Lovely Professional University, Delhi||Delhi||INR 2,38,000|
|International Institute of Fashion Design, Nasik||Nasik||INR 3,00,000|
|International Institute of Fashion Design, Bangalore||Bangalore||INR 75,000|
|Asian Academy of Film and Television||Noida||INR 3,40,000|
|International Institute of Fashion Design, Hyderabad||Hyderabad||INR 4,00,000|
|CT University||Ludhiana||INR 60,000|
|International Institute of Fashion Technology, Delhi||Delhi||INR 2,40,000|
|International Institute of Fashion Design||Deccan||INR 2,72,000|
|Interior Design Academy||Bangalore||INR 60,000|
|International School of Design||Mumbai||INR 2,20,000|
|The Counselors||Mumbai||INR 60,000|
|The Global Open University||Nagaland||INR 24,125|
|Dezyne E'cole College||Ajmer||INR 30,000|
Eligibility for M.Sc. in Interior Design
Candidates aspiring for admission to the course are required to fulfill the following minimum eligibility criteria.
- Graduation completed from a recognized educational Board.
- Preferably, graduation needs to have been completed in any of:
Applied Arts and Crafts
- A minimum aggregate score of 50% (45% for SC/ST/OBC candidates) at the level of graduation.
- Candidates appearing for their final graduation-level examination are also eligible to apply for the course on provisional basis.
|Master of Science in Haryana||Master of Science in West Bengal||Master of Science in Madhya Pradesh||Master of Science in Telangana|
M.Sc. in Interior Design: Admission Process
Most institutes offering the course in India admit students based on their performance in a relevant entrance test, followed by a subsequent round of counselling. The round of counselling consists of two additional rounds of group discussion and personal interview, wherein the candidate’s general aptitude for the course is examined.
Some institutes conduct their own entrance tests for offering admission. Admission process generally varies across colleges. A few institutes also provide direct admission based on the candidate’s score at the level of graduation.
Mentioned below are some of the major entrance examinations conducted in the country for admission to the course.
- CEPT Entrance Test
- CEED, and other State-specific entrance tests.
Latest Master of Science [M.Sc] (Interior Design) Admission Alert
- JNU MA, M.Sc, MCA & MBA Admission 2019: Courses, Application Form, Eligibility, Entrance Exam
- Telangana University (TU) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Time Table, Results
- Jamia Millia Islamia PG Admissions 2019: Course, Fees, Result, Login, Entrance Exams
- Sri Venkateswara University (SVU) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
- Sri Venkateswara Institute of Medical Sciences (SVIMS) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Merit List, Fees
- Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning (SSSIHL) MA and M.Sc Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Fees
M.Sc. in Interior Design: Syllabus and Course Description
A year- wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is tabulated below.
|Construction techniques||History of art and architect|
|Landscape interiors||Elements of services|
|History of interiors furniture||Indian institute of interior design|
|Design and crafting||Design and drafting|
|Practical lab||Practical lab|
M.Sc. in Interior Design: Career Prospects
Successful postgraduates of the course can find gainful employment opportunities such as:
- Design studios
- Interior design firms
- Private design studios
- Government sector jobs
- Municipal Corporations
- Town Planning Departments.
- Private consultancy services.
- Interior decoration and utility product outlets.
- Interior design products marketing, such as decorative items, furniture, utility products, etc.
Interior designers are responsible for:
- working closely with architects, builders, structural engineers, mechanical engineers.
- determining how interior spaces look, function, and are furnished.
- reading blueprints and executing them.
- understanding building codes and inspection regulations.
- using Computer-Aided Design (CAD) software for the majority of their drawings.
- providing design services to help customers choose materials and furnishings
- producing plans, designs, and drawings for construction and installation.
- developing varied designs such as floor plans, electrical layouts, according to building permits.
- drafting sketches or construction documents, and with schedules and attachments.
Some of the top professional avenues open to such postgraduates are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions.
|JOB POSITION||JOB DESCRIPTION||AVERAGE ANNUAL SALARY|
|Interior Designer||Interior Designers can purchase items and furnishings through catalogues and stores, but they could also make different industry contacts to receive discounts on some products. Based on the project, an Interior Designer might need to meet with inspectors, plumbers, architects, painters, electricians, and other specialists to coordinate plans and make sure that all requirements are met. Designers oversee the installation of the interior space at different stages to make sure that everything goes according to plan, and make corrections as needed. ||INR 2,94,000|
|Textile Designer||Textiles Designers are employed in the fashion industry, and their work may include designing patterns for rugs, bed linens, furniture, and towels. They are likely to produce knitted or woven fabrics, specialize in print, and their job duties may include a variety of different activities. They develop fabrics, trim yarns, and may supervise and manage production time lines, create artwork, and test materials. ||INR 3,71,000|
|Exhibition Organizer||Exhibition Managers are well-organized and have excellent Math, communication, and writing skills. Some design abilities and a sense of imagination are also needed to create compelling exhibits such as those related to trade, art, and flower shows. Those working for larger organizations might need to assemble and manage a team of personnel.||INR 3,00,000|
|Architect Interior||Interior Architects draft plans to create or refinish spaces in private homes or commercial buildings with their clients' tastes in mind. Their job may require additional architects or designers, interaction with different clients, construction teams and inspectors. Some create plans for a space, architects take into account interior construction, lighting, and furnishings. They must also be aware of State, federal, and local building regulations so that their designs are up-to-code.||INR 3,74,000|
|Builder||Building Engineers act in a similar capacity as Construction Managers, and utilize a mixture of construction knowledge and engineering principles. Building Engineers help design structures, analyse reports, and manage contracts and budgets. Builders also create construction schedules and keep construction sites in compliance with applicable laws.||INR 6,00,000|