MDS in Prosthodontics is a 3-year postgraduate program in dentistry. The course has been designed to impart to eligible candidates advanced theoretical and clinical lessons in the subject, and ability to research with understanding of social, cultural, and environmental background of the society and its people. Enrolled students are trained to efficiently provide Prosthodontic therapy for patients with understanding of applied medical, behavioral and clinical sciences.
The average course fees in India ranges between INR 1 and 6 lacs for the total duration. The average annual salary offered to successful postgraduates of the field ranges between INR 7 and 8 lacs.
Top Colleges for Master of Dental Surgery [MDS] (Prosthodontics)
- Master of Dental Surgery [MDS] (Prosthodontics) in Uttar Pradesh
- Master of Dental Surgery [MDS] (Prosthodontics) in Maharashtra
- Master of Dental Surgery [MDS] (Prosthodontics) in Karnataka
- Master of Dental Surgery [MDS] (Prosthodontics) in Haryana
- Master of Dental Surgery [MDS] (Prosthodontics) in Tamil Nadu
MDS in Prosthodontics: Course Highlights
Listed below are some of the major highlights of the course.
|Examination Type||Yearly System|
|Eligibility||BDS from a recognized university|
|Admission Process||Merit-based. Entrance test in some cases.|
|Course Fee||INR 1-6 lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 7-8 lacs|
|Top Recruiting Fields/Areas||Dental hospitals, Treatment centers, Nursing homes, Private Clinics, Military Services, Medical Writing etc.|
MDS in Prosthodontics: What is it About?
Prosthodontics is the branch of Dentistry that deals with replacement and restoration of damaged or lost teeth using artificial tools and techniques such as dentures, implants, bridges, crowns, and veneers. They are also concerned with managing facial abnormalities resulting from injuries, birth defects, and diseases. Appearance, comfort, and aesthetics of a patient are taken care of by a Prosthodontist.
MDS in Prosthodontics: Who should opt?
Ideal candidates for the course would possess aptitude for and interest in measuring and taking impressions of patients’ jaws and teeth to calculate the shape and size of dental prostheses using face bows, dental articulators, recording devices and other materials.
Also, such candidates would ideally have competent communication skills needed to collaborate with General Dentists, Specialists, and Other Health professionals to facilitate development of solutions to dental and oral health concerns.
Such candidates would have a fine hand in designing and interpretation of original clinical research at the forefront of current dental research, and interest in treating health issues affecting the mouth, teeth, gums, and other hard and soft tissues of the oral cavity.
Top Institutes offering MDS in Prosthodontics
Listed below are some of the top institutes offering the course in the country with the corresponding locations and fees charged by each.
|Name of Institute||City||Average Fees in INR|
|Maharishi Markandeshwar University Mullana Campus||Ambala||6.8 lacs|
|MS Ramaiah University of Applied Science||Bangalore||8.46 lacs|
|Padmashree Dr. DY Patil University||Mumbai||8 lacs|
|Surendra Group of Institutions||Ganganagar||5.25 lacs|
|Pacific University||Udaipur||3.33 lacs|
|Sri Siddhartha University||Tumkur||3,000|
|Dr. DY Patil Vidyapeeth||Pune||1 lac|
|Saveetha University||Chennai||15 lacs|
|Swami Vivekanand Subharti University||Meerut||7.5 lacs|
|The Tamilnadu Dr. MGR Medical University||Chennai||2.5 lacs|
|All India Institute of Medical Sciences||New Delhi||1,500|
|Maharashtra University of Health Sciences||Nasik||60,000|
|Pravara Institute of Medical Sciences||Ahmednagar||2.5 lacs|
|Institute of Dental Sciences||Bareilly||5.5 lacs|
|Datta Meghe Institute of Medical Sciences||Wardha||4.5 lacs|
Eligibility for MDS in Prosthodontics
Candidates aspiring for admission to the course need to have attained the BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery) degree from an institution recognized by the Dental Council of India (DCI).
MDS in Prosthodontics: Admission Process
Process of admission to the course may vary across institutes. Some institutes conduct their own entrance exams for admission, while some select students on the basis of their score at the level of graduation, completed from a recognized college/university.
Also, most colleges/universities in India base their selection of candidates on the candidate’s performance in any of the following entrance tests:
- All India Postgraduate Dental Entrance Examination (AIPGDEE): It is a national-level entrance examination conducted by the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi.
- NEET MDS: This is an eligibility-cum-entrance exam which serves as a basis for admission to the Master of Dental Surgery (MDS) course. The exam is conducted by NBE and serves as a gateway for admission to most of the State Dental colleges, private universities, deemed universities and private dental colleges.
- Telangana EAMCET AC: Engineering, Agriculture & Medical Common Entrance Test (TS EAMCET) is an entrance exam conducted by the Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University,Hyderabad. This is the prerequisite for admission into the various professional courses offered across universities/ private colleges in the State of Telangana.
- ACDS PG-WAT: Army College of Dental Sciences (ACDS), Secunderabad, conducts the Post Graduate Written Test (PG-WAT) for admission to its various MDS courses.
Latest Master of Dental Surgery [MDS] (Prosthodontics) Admission Alert
- Dr. NTR University of Health Sciences (NTRUHS) MDS & MPT Admission 2019: Courses, Dates, Placement, Fees
- Dr. NTR University of Health Sciences (NTRUHS) MD, MS and MDS Admission 2019: Courses, Dates, Placement, Fees
- Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham PG Medical, Dental and Pharmacy Admission 2019
- Jagadguru Sri Shivarathreeswara (JSS) University MD/MS/MDS Admissions 2019
- KLE University MD, MS and MDS Admissions 2019
- NITTE University MD/MS & MDS Admission 2019
MDS in Prosthodontics: Syllabus and Course Description
A year-wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is tabulated below.
|Year 1||Year 2||Year 3|
|Applied Basic Sciences||Preclinical Prosthodontics||Prosthodontics & Clinics|
|Dental Materials and Preclinical Prosthodontics||Minor Oral Surgery and Trauma||Recent Advances in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery|
|Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery||Prosthodontics and crown and bridge||Diagnosis, Treatment, Preventive Periodontology|
|Etiopathogenesis of Periodontal Diseases||Maxillofacial Surgery||Treatment of Implantology.|
MDS in Prosthodontics: Career Prospects
Such postgraduates are hired in both government and private dental health organizations, defense services and dental writing, research institutes, and hospitals, and may even pursue private practice.
Some of the popular professional avenues open to successful postgraduates of the course are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions.
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Salary in INR|
|Oral Pathologist||An Oral Pathologist is a medically trained professional who diagnoses and treats several different oral diseases that impact the overall health of the face, mouth, jaw, and other related bodily systems.||10-15 lacs|
|Dental Surgeon||A Dental Surgeon is responsible for diagnosing, treating, and providing preventative and restorative care for problems that affect patients' mouths and teeth. The educates patients regarding best oral health habits.||5-6 lacs|
|Dental Assistant||They perform a variety of patient care, office, and laboratory duties, and often work chair-side as dentists examine and treat patients. Their job is to make patients as comfortable as possible during treatment. They prepare patients for treatment and obtain their dental records.||3-4 lacs|
|Clinical Microbiologist||A Clinical Microbiologist conducts tests on specimens collected from patients and animals for bacterial, viral, protozoan, and fungal infections.||2-4 lacs|
|Medical Representative||A Medical Representative's job is to promote and sell the company's products, such as pharmaceutical drugs and medical equipment. Customers include doctors, nurses, and pharmacists. They create product awareness, answer queries, give advice, and introduce new products.||4-6 lacs|