Doctorate of Medicine in Neurology is a three year super – specialty post doctorate course in the field of medicine. In the study of this course, students undergo a rigorous clinical training, which includes seminars, journal clubs, bedside clinics and take part in interdepartmental meetings.
DM Neurology Course deals with the study of disorders of the nervous system and finding remedies. Aspirants who have completed Doctor of Medicine (MD) in any branch can apply for DM Neurology. Admissions for this course are taken through entrance test. Many reputed colleges and universities offer this course in India.
Top Institutes offering DM Neurology course are:
- Institute of Human Behavior and Allied Sciences
- Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research
- Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences
This course has been inspected and approved by the Medical Council of India. The subjects under study are Neuroanatomy, Neurophysiology, Pediatric Neurology, Neuro Radiology, Neuro ophthalmology, Neuro Biochemistry, Neuropathology, Neuropsychiatry, Neuropsychology, Neuro Pharmacology and others. The candidate will develop essential skills for diagnosing and providing therapeutic interventions to treat diseases. The student learns about treating diseases concerned with the central nervous system of the human body.
The course fees ranges between INR 50,000 - 2 lacs for the total duration. The probable salaries offered to successful postgraduates in this field are between 10-15 lacs per annum.
Top Colleges for DM [Neurology]
- DM [Neurology] in Tamil Nadu
- DM [Neurology] in Kerala
- DM [Neurology] in Karnataka
- DM [Neurology] in Andhra Pradesh
- DM [Neurology] in Maharashtra
DM [Neurology]: Course Highlights
Listed below are some of the major highlights of the course
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||MD/MS from a recognized University|
|Admission Process||Direct admission to colleges. However, some colleges may check student's skills in through an entrance test.|
|Course Fee||INR 50,000 - 2 lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 10-15 lacs|
|Top Recruiting Organizations'||Medanta Hospital, Apollo Super Speciality Hospital, AIIMS, GMC, etc|
|Top Recruiting Areas'||Neuro Centers, Hospitals, Clinics, Research Centers, Academics, etc|
|Top Job Profiles||Neurologist, Neuro Physician, Neuro Surgeon, etc|
DM [Neurology]: What is it About?
Neurology is the study of nerves and is a medical specialty related to the human nervous system. This is a specialized branch of medicine which studies the ailments of the nervous system components like brain, spinal cord and related tissues and muscles of a human body.
A person who studies DM in Neurology learns to diagnose, treat, and manage the care of patients suffering from disorders of the nervous system. Neurologists are dedicated physicians who specialize within a special field of medicine. They treat disorders of brain trauma, stroke, multiple sclerosis, epilepsy, Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer’s disease among others.
DM [Neurology]: Top Institutes
Listed below are some of the top institutes offering the course DM [Neurology] in the country with the corresponding locations and fees charged by them
|Name||City||Fees per annum in INR|
|Institute of Human Behavior and Allied Sciences||New Delhi||8,560|
|Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research||Chandigarh||3,370|
|Smt. N H L Municipal Medical College||Ahmedabad||4.18 lacs|
|Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute||Bangalore||66,700|
|All India Institute of Medical Sciences||New Delhi||2,550|
|Amrita School of Medicine||Kochi||12 lacs|
|Baba Farid University of Health Sciences||Faridkot||1.52 lacs|
|Bombay Hospital and Institute of Medical Sciences||Mumbai||64,400|
|Dayanand Medical College and Hospital||Ludhiana||6 lacs|
|Gandhi Medical College||Kozhikode||24,000|
Eligibility for DM [Neurology]
Aspiring Neurologists who wish to study DM in Neurology can opt for this course after completing the following trajectory:
- The students must have completed their 10+2 level of schooling with subjects like biology, chemistry and physics
- The student must have successfully completed their MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery) from a reputed college or institution. MBBS is a 5½ years course and includes a one-year internship period as well.
DM [Neurology]: Admission Process
Admission to this course is given on basis of entrance exam conducted by various institutes. It is followed by GD-PI which marks the final selection of a candidate
Given below are some of the entrance exams for DM Neurology:
- All India D.M / M.Ch. Entrance Examination
- All India Institute of Medical Science Entrance Exam (AIIMS)
- Banaras Hindu University Entrance Exam
- Delhi University Super Specialty Entrance Test – DUMET
- Institute Of Human Behavior and Allied Sciences (IHBAS)
- National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences (NIMHANS) Entrance Exam
- University Of Delhi Entrance Exam
Latest DM [Neurology] Admission Alert
- Sri Venkateswara Institute of Medical Sciences (SVIMS) MD Admissions 2019: Courses, Merit List, Fees
- Dr. NTR University of Health Sciences (NTRUHS) MD, MS and MDS Admission 2019: Courses, Dates, Placement, Fees
- CMC Ludhiana PG Admission 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Fees
- Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham PG Medical, Dental and Pharmacy Admission 2019
- Jagadguru Sri Shivarathreeswara (JSS) University MD/MS/MDS Admissions 2019
- NIMHANS UG and PG Admission 2019: Courses, Application Form, Entrance Exam Date, Result
DM [Neurology]: Syllabus and Course Description
A semester wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is tabulated below:
|Semester 1||Semester 2||Semester 3|
|Basic General Sciences and Investigative Neuro Surgery||Neuroradiology||Electrocorticography|
|Computer Science||Tomography of skull and spine||Brain Mapping|
|Statistics||CT Scan, MRI & MRA & MR Spectroscopy||Ultrasonography of Brain|
|Basic Neurosciences||Angiography||Transcranial Doppler|
|Neuro Anatomy||Myelography||Clinical Neurology|
|Neurophysiology||EEG and EMG||Basic Neurology|
|Neuropathology||Nerve Conduction Study||Neurological Disease|
|Neurochemistry||Evoked Potential||Congenital Malformation|
|Semester 4||Semester 5||Semester 6|
|Neuropharmacology||Parasitic and Fungal infections||Functional & Sedative Neurosurgery|
|Developmental Anomaly||Vascular diseases||Neuro Anaesthesia|
|Elicitation Interpretation of Neurological Symptoms and signs||Spine and Spinal cord – Disorders – Operative Surgery||Pre & Post operative care|
|Brain death||Intracranial Tumors – Operative Surgery||Medico Legal Aspects in Neurosurgery|
|Clinical Neurosurgery, practice of Neurosurgery and Recent Advances||Stereotaxy||Neuro Endoscopy|
|Intracranial Pressure Monitoring||Movement disorders||Gene Therapy|
|Developmental Anomalies – Operative Surgery||Cerebral Palsy and Epilepsy||Immunotherapy|
|Trauma – Operative Surgery||Paediatric Neurosurgery||Neuronavigation|
|Bacterial infections||Intraoperative Monitoring||Neuro Rehabilitation|
DM [Neurology]: Who should opt?
A person willing to study DM in Neurology must possess the following skills. These will help him to fare well in his career ahead.
- A caring personality and humble attitude are the two qualities that are of paramount importance.
- Communication skills are required as the students have to convey their research findings and discuss the treatment with other medical staff.
- Patience and intense interest to hear the patient's side of the story are really important.
- Problem-solver by nature. Must have observing, listening and inquisitive appetite.
- Should have reading, enquiring and researching habits to find solutions to difficult issues.
DM [Neurology]: Career Prospects
Pass outs of DM Neurology will have to work in one of the most complex and fascinating areas of medicine that will involve tetè a tetè with the brain and nervous system. Postgraduates can get work in general neurology or they may choose to work under surgery cases. Mostly they will be treating patients by diagnosing and determining treatment by examining the patient's brain and neck nerves, muscle strength, movement, balance and reflexes.
Aspirants who hold DM in Neurology degree has a promising career ahead. They can get placed in various Hospitals, National Institutes or even Army. Postgraduates can choose a career in teaching field as well as research.
Some of the popular avenues open to postgraduates of DM [Neurology] are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions.
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Salary in INR|
|Neurologist||They are highly trained physicians who diagnose and treat the diseases of a patient's brain as well as any impairment to the spinal cord, nervous system, muscles and blood vessels that are associated with any of these structures.||15-18 lacs|
|Neuro Physician||A Neuro Physician examines and diagnoses nervous disorders and diseases and suggests treatments for the same. He consults with patients to determine and fix the appropriate course of treatment.||12-15 lacs|