MDS in Pedodontics is a 3-year postgraduate program. This is a paediatric branch of dentistry that deals with diseases of the supporting and investing structures of the teeth including:
- cemented, periodontal membranes
- alveolar bone.
The course has been designed to enable eligible candidates to:
- identify the techniques applied in preventing the occurrence of dental diseases.
- cure the spread of damage already caused by dental infection.
- learn and research in the discipline, to help the society in health care.
- perform specialized treatment methods such as:
- root planning
- gum surgeries
- curettage in dentistry
- alveolar bone surgeries.
- treat gingivitis, the mildest version of gum disease.
- treat more advanced forms of the disease.
- perform surgical and non-surgical procedures to address periodontal disease.
- apply new, innovative approaches, such as dental laser, to the treatment of periodontal diseases.
- perform other specialized procedures, including:
- surgical placement of dental implants.
- treatment of accelerated orthodontics.
- diagnosis and treatment of various oral conditions.
- periodontal plastic surgery.
- re-contouring and rebuilding of gum tissues.
Periodontitis is chronic and insidious. Unless a tooth is very loose, there is a strong possibility that it can be saved with appropriate treatment. Long-term studies on tooth retention validate these concepts.
Paediatric dentistry is focused on:
- diagnosis and treatment of dental problems in children.
- upkeep of young patients' dental health.
- educating patients and their families on:
- proper brushing and flossing techniques
- dietary choices that improve dental health.
- inspecting x-rays for tooth decay.
- giving instructions to dental hygienists and assistants.
- performing tooth extractions and filling cavities.
Specialized training in the discipline also covers:
- child oral trauma
- child orthodontics
- oral medicine
- dental caries
- infant oral health
The largest percentage of a Paediatric Dentistry Resident's time is spent in a clinical environment, fully observing and performing work with actual young patients.
The average annual course fee in India ranges between INR 50,000 and 35 lakhs, depending upon the institute offering the course.
The average annual salary offered in India to successful postgraduates of the course ranges between INR 2 and 10 lakhs, depending upon the candidate’s expertise in the field.
Top Colleges for Master of Dental Surgery [MDS] (Pedodontics)
- Master of Dental Surgery [MDS] (Pedodontics) in Uttar Pradesh
- Master of Dental Surgery [MDS] (Pedodontics) in Karnataka
- Master of Dental Surgery [MDS] (Pedodontics) in Tamil Nadu
- Master of Dental Surgery [MDS] (Pedodontics) in Maharashtra
- MDS in Delhi-NCR
- MDS in Maharashtra
MDS in Pedodontics: Course Highlights
Tabulated below are some of the major highlights of the course.
|Course Level||Post Graduate|
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||Bachelor of Dental Surgery|
|Admission Process||Counselling after qualification of entrance examination (NEET)|
|Course Fee||INR 50,000 to 35 lakhs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 2 to 10 lakhs|
MDS in Pedodontics: What is it About?
Pedodontics is the area of paediatric dentistry that focuses on the prevention, diagnosis or treatment of any diseases of the tissues that support or surround the teeth.
The specialty is about:
- gum tissue and the jaw bones.
- upkeep of the health, function, and looks of the tissue.
- mechanisms of periodontal inflammation.
- effective treatments for such dental disorders.
- fluoride treatments and sealants, etc.
Some basic dental care tasks may overlap those of a dental hygienist, and dental assistants also perform clerical and billing duties.
Bacteria commonly found in the mouth can cause disease and inflammation in the gums. Those diseased gums can then trigger serious problems throughout the rest of the mouth. When left untreated, inflammation that affects the periodontal tissue can attack other structures in the mouth, such as the teeth and the jawbone.
Top Institutes offering MDS in Pedodontics
Some of the top institutes offering the course in the country with the corresponding locations and fees charged by the respective colleges are listed below.
|NAME OF INSTITUTE||CITY||AVERAGE ANNUAL FEES|
|PDM university||Bahadurgah||INR 30,00,000|
|NIMS dental college and hospital||Jaipur||INR 16,50,000|
|SRM university||Chennai||INR 30,10,000|
|M.S. Ramaiah university of applied sciences||Bangalore||INR 25,35,000|
|Manipal university||Manipal||INR 45,00,000|
|GITAM university||Hyderabad||INR 11,10,000|
|Babu Banaras das university||Lucknow||INR 24,00,000|
|Sharda university||Noida||INR 25,65,000|
|Surendera dental college and research institute||Srinagar||INR 16,50,000|
|Kalinga institute of dental sciences||Bhubaneswar||INR 30,75,000|
|Guru nanak institute of dental science and research||Kolkata||INR 57,000|
|Manipal college of dental sciences||Mangalore||INR 25,96,000|
Eligibility for MDS in Pedodontics
Listed below are the minimum criteria of eligibility that interested candidates need to fulfill in order to apply for the course.
- BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery) completed from an institute recognized by the Dental Council of India (DCI).
- A minimum aggregate score of 55% (general) or 50% (SC/ST) at the level of graduation.
MDS in Pedodontics: Admission Process
Most institutes offering the course admit students based on their performance in a relevant entrance test. Some institutes conduct their own entrance tests for offering admission. Admission process generally varies across colleges. Some even provide direct admission, based on the candidate’s score at the level of graduation.
However, mostly, admission to the course is made on the basis of the candidate’s performance in a relevant entrance test, such as the national-level online NEET PG, and subsequent rounds of counselling conducted by the concerned university/institute.
The round of counselling comprises 2 additional rounds of Group Discussion and Personal Interview, wherein the candidate’s general aptitude for the course is tested. A merit list is then released by the institute, allocating seats to the qualifying candidates.
Latest Master of Dental Surgery [MDS] (Pedodontics) Admission Alert
- Dr. NTR University of Health Sciences (NTRUHS) MDS & MPT Admission 2019: Courses, Dates, Placement, Fees
- Dr. NTR University of Health Sciences (NTRUHS) MD, MS and MDS Admission 2019: Courses, Dates, Placement, Fees
- Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham PG Medical, Dental and Pharmacy Admission 2019
- Jagadguru Sri Shivarathreeswara (JSS) University MD/MS/MDS Admissions 2019
- KLE University MD, MS and MDS Admissions 2019
- NITTE University MD/MS & MDS Admission 2019
MDS in Pedodontics: Syllabus and Course Description
A year- wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is tabulated below.
|YEAR I||YEAR II||YEAR III|
|Applied anatomy||Applied basic science||Allied clinical sciences|
|Etiopathogenesis||Etiopathogenesis periodontal diseases||Complete denture prosthesis|
|Oral implantology||Preventive periodontology||Partial denture prosthesis|
|Clinical periodontology||Recent activities in periodontics||Fixed partial prosthesis|
MDS in Pedodontics: Career Prospects
Popular areas of employment for such professionals include:
- community hospitals.
- nursing homes.
- research institutes
- medical universities
- dental services in railways.
- dental practice in defence services and ordinance factories.
Pedodontic Dentists are needed to:
- possess thorough knowledge of the specific dental needs of children.
- interact well with children in order to operate a successful practice.
- be able to use technologically advanced equipment.
- be deft with their hands.
- be efficient at communicating clearly with both adults and children.
For individuals interested in becoming professional Dental Hygienists, responsibilities include:
- cleaning teeth
- capturing X-ray images
- administering fluoride treatments
- demonstrating oral care methods
- entering patient data into dental records.
Some of the top professional avenues open to such postgraduates are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions.
|JOB POSITION||JOB DESCRIPTION||AVERAGE ANNUAL SALARY|
|Public Health Manager|
Public Health Managers are experienced and qualified in public health and management. They work with others across the health system to lead and implement programs of work that have a focus on public health. Areas of work can be immensely varied depending on the organisation they work in.
Responsibilities include managing and supporting teams, and providing public health expertise and advice to organisations. Also, they commission services and manage public health budgets.
A Dental Specialist typically possesses advanced skills and knowledge of their area of expertise, with full knowledge of general dentistry. Duties for each specialty differ considerably. Surgeons perform tooth extractions and reconstructive surgery, Endodontists commonly perform root canals and other procedures pertaining to the inside of teeth.
Periodontists treat gum-related diseases.
Dental Assistants perform a variety of patient care, and laboratory duties, and often work chair-side as dentists examine and treat patients.
They are responsible for making patients as comfortable as possible in the dental chair for treatment and for obtaining their dental records.
Pathologists may also determine if an oral infection is caused by bacteria, virus, or fungus. They determine the type of disease or cause of the condition, and prepare specific treatment plans accordingly.
Pathologists work closely with general dentists, periodontist, and infectious disease doctors. Oral Pathologists are also involved in research or academia.
|Ceramist||Ceramics Designers are employed by manufacturers of ceramic products, or work independently as freelancers. They carry out hands-on ceramics design and creation activities, research designs and new materials. Also, they build and promote creative and vibrant portfolios and liaise with clients, other craftsmen, etc.||INR 4,00,000|