Ph.D. in Operation Management is a 3-5 year doctorate degree program in the domain of business and management with a focus on managerial principles and techniques related to operations. It is a research and analysis based academic course/degree that aims at the in-depth analysis of the respective discipline and the minimum eligibility criterion for admission in Post Graduate qualification/M.Phil in the concerned domain.
The course is aimed at providing detailed knowledge and skills to the students so as to make them well aware of each and every aspect related to the respective discipline.
Some of the popular colleges/universities offering the course are:
- Delhi University
- Lovely Professional University
- ICFAI Business School
The fee for Ph.D. in Operation Management course ranges from INR 11,000 to 2.5 Lacs across various colleges and universities across the country. The variation in the fee is based on the location and type of university that is private/deemed or government.
Admissions to the course are based on the percentage of marks obtained by the candidate at Post Graduate (PG)/M.Phil level. Apart from merit-based process certain colleges/universities follow Entrance Test based admission criteria for the course.
Students can also pursue Ph.D. in Operation Management through distance education mechanism in case they are not having the time to pursue the course in full-time. Those who are looking for funding or fellowship for the course have to pass a separate competitive exam (NET) conducted by CSIR and UGC in order to attain the fellowship.
Ph.D. in Operations Management student can have a variety of options to choose from in terms of his/her career. He/she can make a career in the area/with firms such as supply chain management, Logistic management, Inventory oversight, Process management, financial management etc. Students are well equipped with the knowledge of management and its application in relation to the area of operations in the context of business and are thus suitable to undertake various roles in the domain of managerial works.
A fresh pass out can expect a starting salary of anywhere between INR 19,000 to 22,000 per month. The average salary range across the country varies with a little variation here and there.
Top Colleges for Ph.D (Operation Management)
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Management in Delhi-NCR
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Management in Maharashtra
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Management in Chennai
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Management in Uttar Pradesh
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Management in Telangana
Ph.D. in Operation Management: Course Highlight
|Course Type||Doctorate (P.hD.)|
|Duration of Course||3-5 Years|
|Admission process||Merit-based (Based on PG/M.Phil percentage)/ Entrance Test based|
|Structure of Course||Semester-Wise|
|Eligibility||Post Graduation/M.Phil. From any college/university with a minimum of 50% (relaxable for reserved category candidates) marks.|
|Top recruiting areas||supply chain management, Logistic management, Inventory oversight, Process management, financial management etc.|
|Job Profiles||Operations head, Supply Manager, Financial Manager, Auditor, Resource Manager, Researcher, Professor etc.|
|Course Fee||INR 11,000 to 2.5 Lacs|
|Average starting salary||INR 19,000 to 22,000|
Ph.D. in Operation Management: What is it about?
Operations as per the name suggest refers to a set of activities or functions that are seen followed in order to complete a task or process in hand. From day to day life to business functioning everything is going through a defined mechanism or process that requires proper management at micro and macro level.
In the context of business management, it plays a key role as churning out profits through enhancement in productivity is the main motto. Operations sector is a crucial area for managerial oversight as it requires both technical and principle soundness on the part of the manager to look over the process. The importance of proper management of operations can be highlighted from the fact that a delay in this context can cause a breach of deadlines and a serious effect on working of all other departments.
Ph.D. in Operation Management degree is exclusively dedicated to the area of operation management aims at delivering those qualified professionals that have the caliber to take on different roles in this crucial area of business activity.
Ph.D.student in the subject is provided with an in-depth insight into the subject along with all the possible dimensions which the subject can touch. The students are indulged in research and development on a particular topic related to them as a part of their academic curriculum.
Thesis/Report submission are some of the methods through which doctorate students are assessed in terms of their learning and assessment capabilities and at the same time learn about the subject through practical and fieldwork.
The motive of Ph.D. in Operation Management course is to prepare a student in a manner such that he/she can apply his/her knowledge in the subject to the best of their expertise when it comes to outdoor application and performance in the real world that is beyond the four walls of academic framework.
Ph.D. in Operation Management: Top Institutes
A significant number of colleges across the country offer the course to candidates who have passed their PG/M.Phil from a recognized state or central University.
For your reference, we have tabled down a list of various colleges/universities that are offering this course in India.
|Institute||City||Average Fee (For course duration)|
|Rama University||Kanpur||INR 1,44,667|
|Delhi University||Delhi||INR 45,500|
|Lovely Professional University||Jalandhar||INR 3,16,870|
|MDU||Ajmer||INR 2,44, 465|
|Andhra University||Vizag||INR 1,18,000|
|Bangalore University||Bangalore||INR 2,15,200|
|ICFAI Business School||Hyderabad||INR 5,20,000|
|Banasthali Vidyapeeth||Jaipur||INR 2, 62,000|
|NMIMS ||Mumbai||INR 57,000|
|Department of Management Studies, IIT Madras||Chennai||INR 11,900|
|Department of Management Studies, IIT Delhi||New Delhi||INR 35,700|
|ISBR Business School||Bangalore||INR 75,000|
|Savitribai Phule Pune University||Pune||INR 20,200|
Ph.D. in Operation Management: Eligibility
Candidate must have passed the PG/M.Phil. Examination with at least 50% (relaxable for reserved category candidates) of the marks from a recognized state/private/deemed or central University
- He/She shall not be having any backlog or compartment in any of the subject/subjects at PG/M.Phil. level that is yet to be cleared at the time of taking admissions.
- Apart from the above-mentioned eligibility criteria’s various colleges and institutes may have their own additional criteria’s which the students would have to satisfy in order to take admission.
- In case of reserved category students, they would have to present their reservation certificates issued by the competent authorities in order to avail the benefits applicable to them.
- Certain Institute grant admissions through Common Entrance Test (CET). To get admission in these institutes candidates would have to qualify the respective entrance exam by securing minimum qualifying marks.
The eligibility criteria’s mentioned above are common to most of the universities and colleges across the country that are offering this course to the students.
Ph.D. in Operation Management: Admission Process
Some Universities/Colleges conduct a common entrance test like Lovely Professional University for admission into P.hD. courses hence students would have to make an application for such exams
- Students have to qualify these exams (for which they should be eligible to appear) in order to get admission in the course.
- After the conduct of the test, a merit list of finally qualified candidates is prepared and candidates are invited for admission process by the respective university or college.
- After preparation of final merit list, the process of final allotment of seats to the candidate takes place and the candidate is asked to deposit the fee for the course and register for the respective academic year.
Latest Ph.D (Operation Management) Admission Alert
- JNU Ph.D. Admission 2019: Eligibility, Application Process, Admission Process
- Jamia Millia Islamia Ph.D, M.Phil. Admissions 2019: Login, Application Form
- GITAM Ph.D. Admissions 2019: Courses, Placement, Fees
- Dravidian University M.Phil. and Ph.D. Admissions 2019: Courses, Dates, Reasult
- BR Ambedkar University (BRAOU) Srikakulam M.Phil and Ph.D Admissions 2019: Exam Dates, Hall Tickets, Results
- Birla Institute of Technology (BIT) Mesra Ph.D. Admissions 2019: Cut Off, Placement, Fees
Ph.D. in Operation Management: Syllabus and Course description
The course has a variable time duration of 3 to 5 year and the syllabus is divided into various domain/areas related to the discipline of social sciences. The detailed description of the syllabus is tabled below for your reference.
|Subject/domain of study|
|Management of Operations|
|ICT in management|
|Human resource and its potential|
|Theories of rights|
Ph.D. in Operation Management: Who Should Opt for?
- Students who have interest in managerial work.
- Those who have a career in operations domain in mind can also try their hands at this course.
- Those who are looking for a career in the public sector.
- Those looking at a career as Professor/ Tutor can also opt for the course.
Ph.D. in Operation Management: Career Prospects
Ph.D. in Operations Management degree holders have plenty of options to choose from in terms of their career. One can choose to work as Operations head, Supply manager, financial manager, Auditor, Resource Manager, Researcher, Professor etc.
To provide you a holistic view of the career prospects of the course we have tabled certain areas and the respective roles attached to the same where doctorate students can look for in terms of their career.
|Area/Domain||Role||Average Salary for Fresher’s|
|Operations Head||The job involves oversight and management of operations department and ensuring its smooth functioning.||INR 3.37-3.48 Lacs|
|Supply Manager||A supply manager is involved in ensuring proper dispatch and delivery of consignments to the clients in a timely manner.||INR 2.5- 2.78 Lacs|
|Resource Manager||The job involves managing of different resources and materials available at one’s dispense as a manager of respective department or section.||INR 2.34- 2.96 Lacs|
|Finance Manager||The work involves proper allocation and division of capital in production and value creating assets.||INR 2.40-2.62 Lacs|
|Auditor||An auditor is involved in the detailed scrutiny of revenue generated against the expenditure made.||INR 2.26- 2.73 Lacs|