M.E. Thermal Engineering is a Post Graduate course in the domain of mechanical engineering with a specialization in the field of thermal process and thermodynamics related aspects. The structure of the course is based on the semester-wise breakup of examination. A minimum of 55% (relaxable for reserved category candidates) marks at UG level is the least which almost all the institutes desire from applying candidates as the eligibility criterion.
Some of the popular colleges offering the course are:
- AD Patel Institute of Technology
- Adhiparasakthi Engineering College
- Anna University
The range of average fee for the course varies between INR 60,000 to 4, 50,000 in India. The variation in fee is based on the location and nature of university (that is government, state/private/deemed etc.).
Admissions to the course are done based on Common Entrance Test (CET) based selection method as well as merit-based selection criteria that is the percentage of marks obtained at Under Graduate (UG) level. Most of the colleges who provide admissions through CET mechanism rely on the score of All India level common entrance exams like GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test for Engineering), while a select few opt for a separate entrance exam of their own (Like LPUNEST).
The course is designed to dissipate skills and knowledge to the master’s level students that are sufficient to provide them a holistic knowledge of the subject. This would enable them to take on the day to day challenges that would come in the persecution of their skill at the practical level.
M.E. Thermal Engineering postgraduates have a wide range of job opportunities like Safety engineer, Project engineer, Structural engineer, Design engineer etc. After completion of post graduation, students can pursue further studies (like M.Phil and Ph.D.) in the said subject or may take up job opportunities associated. The average salary ranges between INR 16,000 and 20,000 a month for a fresh pass out.
Top Colleges for Master of Engineering [ME] (Thermal Engineering)
- Master of Engineering [ME] (Thermal Engineering) in Tamil Nadu
- Master of Engineering [ME] (Thermal Engineering) in Gujarat
- Master of Engineering [ME] (Thermal Engineering) in Maharashtra
- ME/M.Tech in Delhi-NCR
- ME/M.Tech in Maharashtra
- ME/M.Tech in Chennai
M.E. Thermal Engineering: Course Highlights
|Course Level||Post Graduate|
|Duration of the Course||2 years|
|Eligibility||Minimum score of 55% (Relaxable for reserved category students) marks at UG level.|
|Admission Process||Entrance exam based/Merit-based|
|Course Fee||Between INR 60,000 to 4.50 Lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 16,000 to 20,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Steel India, Power Grid of India, NTPC, Discoms, Renewable Energy producers|
|Job Position||Safety engineer, Project engineer, Structural engineer, Design engineer|
M.E. Thermal Engineering: What is it about?
Study of temperature that is the degree of hotness or coolness of substance, or structure is the concerned area for thermal studies. Today, where power is generated at large scale and distributed through multiple channels the importance of thermal studies, has become all the more important.
As a sub-division of Mechanical Engineering, Thermal engineering deals with thermal properties of materials, body, and substances so, as to define their usage and utility in design and structuring of power generation equipment that dissipate heat in large amount.
A master’s level course in this specialization of mechanical engineering aims at providing in-depth subject knowledge and skills to the bachelor’s pass out so as to build the competence and ability in them to handle the practical life challenges that would be put forward to them at the industrial level.
M.E. Thermal Engineering: Top Institutes
Thermal Engineering as a specialization of Mechanical engineering is offered as M.E. level course by many reputed colleges/universities to candidates who have passed their UG or equivalent examination from a recognized state or central University.
For your reference, we have tabled down a list of various colleges/universities that are offering this course in India.
|Institute||City||Average Fee Per annum basis|
|AD Patel Institute of Technology||Vidyanagar||INR 76,470|
|Adhiparasakthi Engineering College||Vellore||INR 45,500|
|Anna University||Madurai||INR 39,000|
|Arunai Engineering College||Tiruvannamalai||INR 56,000|
|B.M. College of Technology||Indore||INR 60,000|
|Chaitanya Bharathi Institute of Technology||Hyderabad||INR 90,750|
|CMS College of Engineering||Eranapuram||INR 46, 420|
|Excel Engineering College||Namakkal||INR 50,000|
M.E. Thermal Engineering: Eligibility
Candidate must have passed the B.E/B.Tech or equivalent examination in Mechanical engineering/Automobile engineering/Production engineering/Mechanotronics/Aeronautical/Production engineering stream from a recognized state/private/deemed or central University with at least 55% (relaxable for reserved category candidates) of the marks.
- He/She shall not be having any backlog or compartment in any of the Subject/Subjects at UG level that is yet to be cleared at the time of taking admissions.
- Apart from the above-mentioned eligibility criteria’s various colleges and institutes may have their own additional criteria’s which the students would have to satisfy in order to take admission (like work experience of certain years).
- In case of reserved category students, they would have to present their reservation certificates issued by the competent authorities in order to avail the benefits applicable to them.
- Most of the Institute give admissions through Common Entrance Test (CET) (like GATE). To get admissions in these institutes candidates would have to qualify the respective entrance exam by securing minimum qualifying marks.
The eligibility criteria’s mentioned above are common for most of the universities and colleges across the country that are offering this course to the students.
M.E. Thermal Engineering: Admission Process
Master’s of Engineering in Thermal Engineering course admission process involves a common entrance test based admission process (as seen across various universities and colleges in the country).
- Most of the Universities/Colleges conduct a common entrance test for admission into M.E courses (like LPUNEST) or take admissions through commonly held entrance exam like GATE. Hence students would have to make an application for such exams.
- Students have to qualify these exams (for which they should be eligible to appear) in order to get admission in the course.
- After the conduct of the test, a merit list of finally qualified candidates is prepared and candidates are invited for counseling cum admission process by the respective university or college.
- After counseling cum admission process final allotment of seats to the candidate takes place and the candidate is asked to deposit the fee for the course and register for the respective academic year.
- The new academic year begins after the completion of all the above processes.
Admission process would more or less be same across all the colleges and universities that are offering this course.
Latest Master of Engineering [ME] (Thermal Engineering) Admission Alert
- Jamia Millia Islamia M.Tech., M.B.A., and M.C.A. Admission 2019
- Sri Venkateswara Veterinary University MVSc And M.Tech Admission 2019
- Sri Venkateswara University (SVU) M.Tech Admission 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
- Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning (SSSIHL) M.Tech. Admission 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Fees
- Sri Krishnadevaraya University (SKU ) PG Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
- Osmania University (OU) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Time Table, Results
M.E. Thermal Engineering: Syllabus and Course description
The syllabus of the course is divided into four semesters spread over a span of two years. The syllabus of the course is divided into various subjects and practical skills that students are taught during the course of their post-graduation. The syllabus covers all the aspects related to thermal engineering so as to provide a holistic understanding of the subject to the master’s level students.
The details regarding the syllabus of the course are mentioned below so as to provide a reference to the candidates.
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Advanced Thermodynamics||Advanced Power Plant Engineering|
|Internal Combustion Engines||Refrigeration and Air Conditioning System design|
|Heat Transfer||Thermal Modeling Analysis|
|Computer Programming and Data Structure||Computation Methods in CAD|
|Statistical method and algorithms||Elective 1|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Computational Fluid Dynamics||Boundary Layer Theory|
|Elective 2||Fuels and Combustion|
|Elective 3||Gas Turbines and Compressors|
M.E. Thermal Engineering: Who Should Opt for?
- Students who have a background in Mechanical engineering/Automobile engineering/Production engineering/Mechanotronics/Aeronautical/Production engineering at graduation level.
- Those who have a career as a safety engineer in Mind.
- Those who are aiming at public sector jobs.
- Those aiming at higher studies in the domain can opt for the course.
M.E. Thermal Engineering: Career Prospects
Thermal Engineering postgraduates have plenty of options to choose from in terms of their career. One can choose to work with companies such as Steel India, Power Grid of India, NTPC, Discoms, Renewable Energy producers etc.
To provide you a complete view of the career prospects of the course we have tabled certain areas and the respective roles attached to the same where Thermal engineering postgraduates can look for in terms of their career.
|Job Profile||Role||Average Salary for Fresher’s|
|Safety Engineer||Safety engineers are entrusted with the responsibility of maintaining the optimum temperature range for equipment so as to avoid any burnout or damage.||INR 2.75-3.32 Lacs|
|Design Engineer||The job of a design engineer involves analysis and structurization of equipment or project so as to assess its thermal standing capability.||INR 2.96-3.65 Lacs|
|Quality Manager||The job involves one to ensure that standards of quality and manufacturing are not compromised in the production of thermal equipment and machinery.||INR 2.85 -3.43 Lacs|
|Project Engineer||A project engineer is involved in management, coordination, and completion of a said project which is being entrusted to him.||INR 2.75-3.24 Lacs|
|Assistant engineer||An assistant engineer’s job involves regulation of the temperature range of various production equipment in sync with the advice tendered by senior engineer.||INR 2.82-3.2 Lacs|