Bachelor of Music is a 3-year Under Graduate course in the domain of performing arts with a specialization in music and vocals. The minimum eligibility criterion which most of the institutes ask for is a score of at least 50% (relaxable for reserved category candidates) at 10+2 or equivalent level.
Some of the popular colleges offering the course are:
- Agarwal Junior College
- Agra College
- Alankar Mahila PG Mahavidyalaya
- Bareilly College
- BBK DAV College for Women
The fee for the course varies between INR 10,000 to INR 1 Lac in India. The variation in fee is based on the location and nature of university (that is government, state/private/deemed etc.).
Admission to the course involves a Common Entrance Test (CET) based selection method (Where skills in the respective art form are assessed) as well as a merit-based selection criterion that is the percentage of marks obtained by the candidate at 10+2 or equivalent level. Colleges/Universities offering admissions through CET mechanism rely on the score of University level common entrance exams like AUCET while some of them go for a separate entrance exam of their own (like LPU).
The bachelor’s level program in the area of performing art (Music) is aimed at imparting skills and knowledge about the subject in a comprehensive manner so as to bring out the best in the students both academically and practically. This inherit aim of the course helps in decimating sufficient knowledge and skills o the students in a manner that they would be effective enough to help them channelize their learning in the practical sense.
Bachelors in music graduates have a wide range of opportunities to choose from in terms of job opportunities. One can choose to work in the domain/firms such as Studios, Orchestras, Bands, Performing Art Centers, Film TV industry, Animation, VFX, etc. After completion of graduation, one may pursue further studies in the said subject or may take up job opportunities associated. The average salary ranges between INR 14,000 to 18,000 a month for a fresh graduate in the discipline.
Top Colleges for Bachelor of Music
- BA in Delhi-NCR
- BA in Maharashtra
- BA in Chennai
- BA in Uttar Pradesh
- BA in Telangana
Bachelor of Music: Course Highlights
|Course Level||Under Graduate|
|Duration of the Course||3 years|
|Eligibility||Minimum score of 50% (Relaxable for reserved category students) marks at 10+2 or equivalent level.|
|Admission Process||Entrance exam based/Merit-based/Skill test|
|Course Fee||Between INR 10,000 to INR 1 Lac|
|Average Starting Salary||Rs.14000 to 18000|
|Top Recruiting areas||Studios, Orchestras, Bands, Performing Art Centers, Film TV industry, Animation, VFX, etc.|
|Job Position||Bandleader, Composer, Disc Journey, Singer, Recording Technician, Lyrics writer, Teacher etc.|
Bachelor of Music: What is it about?
Music along with dance and acting forms an integral and inherent part of India’s performing art tradition. Where the latter two are aimed at delivering the content through bodily movement music focuses on vocal skills to enthrall the audience. It also happens to be an inevitable partner of dance as dance is performed on the rhythm and beats of the music.
From the ancient performance of music in temples and open places to the modern time recording and Bollywood music, the art has seen its evolution over a time span of thousands of years. However, the basics and fundamentals are still the same. Modern day music requires a qualified and trained team of professionals in handling various aspects related to performance, recording, and distribution of the music album.
A bachelor’s level course in music provides knowledge and skills to the students in regards to these basics of performance, organization, and composition of the art form. These skills and knowledge are imparted to students in the face of theoretical subjects and practical modules that are taught to the students during the course of their graduation.
The curriculum aims to provide the requisite knowledge and skill base to the students that a graduate in the subject would require in understanding academically and delivering the art form in front of the audience in a perfect manner.
Bachelor of Music: Top Institutes
Bachelor of Music course is offered by many reputed colleges and universities across the country. Colleges are offering this course to candidates who have passed their 10+2 or equivalent level examination from a recognized state or central board.
For your reference, we have tabled down a list of various colleges/universities that are offering this course in India.
|Institute||City||Average Fee (Per annum Basis)|
|Agarwal Junior College||Faridabad||INR 9,850|
|Agra College||Agra||INR 2, 343|
|Alankar Mahila PG Mahavidyalaya||Jaipur||INR 8,520|
|Arya Post Graduate College||Panipat||INR 500|
|Awantika College||Ujjain||INR 12,000|
|Bareilly College||Bareilly||INR 2,445|
|BBK DAV College for Women||Amritsar||INR 46,550|
|Belda College||Midnapore||INR 2, 450|
|Bhagini Nivedita College||Delhi||INR 1,800|
Bachelor of Music: Eligibility
Candidate must have passed the 10+2 or equivalent (Diploma) examination with at least 50% (relaxable for reserved category candidates) of the marks at 10+2 or equivalent level from a recognized state or central board
- He/She shall not be having any supplementary or compartment in any of the subject/subjects at 10+2 or equivalent level that is yet to be cleared at the time of taking admissions.
- Apart from the above-mentioned eligibility criteria’s various colleges and institutes may have their own additional criteria’s which the students would have to satisfy in order to take admission.
- In case of reserved category students, they would have to present their reservation certificates issued by the competent authorities in order to avail the benefits applicable to them.
- Most of the Institute give admissions through Common Entrance Test (CET) (like OUCET). To get admissions in these institutes candidates would have to qualify the respective entrance exam by securing minimum qualifying marks.
The eligibility criteria’s mentioned above are common to most of the universities and colleges across the country that are offering this course to the students.
Bachelor of Music: Admission Process
Bachelor of Music course admission involves a common entrance test based admission process (as seen across various Universities and colleges in the country) as well as a merit-based selection process (in select few institutes/colleges).
- Most of the Universities/Colleges conduct a common entrance test for admission into Bachelor’s courses (like LPUNEST) or take admissions through commonly held entrance exam like AUCET. Hence students would have to make an application for such exams.
- Students have to qualify these exams (for which they should be eligible to appear) in order to get admission in the course.
- Certain institutes/colleges also conduct a skill assessment test as well for admission to the course.
- After the conduct of the test, a merit list of finally qualified candidates is prepared and candidates are invited for counseling cum admission process by the respective university or college.
- After counseling cum admission process final allotment of seats to the candidate takes place and the candidate is asked to deposit the fee for the course and register for the respective academic year..
Admission process would more or less be same across all the colleges and universities that are offering this course.
Latest Bachelor of Music Admission Alert
- JNU BA (Hons) Admission 2019
- Jamia Millia Islamia UG Admissions 2019
- Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning (SSSIHL) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Fees
- Rashtriya Sanskrit Vidyapeetha UG Admission 2019: Courses, Application Process, Eligibility
- Maulana Azad University (MANUU) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Results, Cut Off, Dates, Fees
- Kakatiya University (KU) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Time Table, Results
Syllabus and Course description
The syllabus of the course is divided into 6 semesters spread over a span of three years with each year comprising of two semesters. The syllabus of the course is divided into various subjects and performing skills (related to the art form) that students are taught during the course of their under graduation..
The details regarding the syllabus of the course are mentioned below for the reference to the candidates.
|Year I||Year II||Year III|
|Appreciation of Music||Composition of music||Law of Acoustics|
|Khayal form of Music||Classification of Ragas||Literature and Music|
|History of Indian Music||Evolution of Notation||Music and Fine arts|
|Natya Shastra||Forms of Music||Vocal and Instrumental Music|
|Ragas and Tala||Religious significance of Music||Recording of music|
|Art performance||Practical/Theater performance||Viva Voce|
|Open Elective 1||Open Elective 2||Practical and Seminar|
Bachelor of Music: Who Should Opt for?
- Students who have interest in music as an art form.
- Those who are looking for a career as Musician.
- Those who are looking for a career as a performer of the art.
- Those aiming at higher studies in the domain can opt for the course.
Bachelor of Music: Career Prospects
Bachelor of Music undergraduates have a plenty of options to choose from in terms of their career. One can choose to work as Bandleader, Composer, Disc Journey, Singer, Recording Technician, Lyrics writer, Teacher etc.
To provide you a holistic view of the career prospects of the course we have tabled certain areas and the respective roles attached to the same where undergraduates in music can look for in terms of their career.
|Area/Domain||Role||Average Salary for Fresher’s|
|Band Leader||A band leader is the main vocalist of the band who leads the performance on the stage.||INR 2.10-2.62 Lacs|
|Composer||The job involves penning down compositions for the song to be performed by the artist.||INR 1.95-2.42 Lacs|
|Singer||A singer is involved in performing the art of music either on stage or in a playback for some actor.||INR 2.35-2.55 Lacs|
|Lyrics Writer||A Lyrics writer is involved in the task of writing the wording and phrases of the song to be sung.||INR 1.65-2.23 Lacs|
|Sound Engineer||The job involves creating new effects form combination and integration of various genre of music as per the demand of the project.||INR 1.85-2.35 Lacs|