BE Aeronautical Engineering is a 4-year Under Graduate (UG) course with a specialization in the field of aviation and aerodynamics. The minimum eligibility criterion which most of the institutes ask for is a score of at least 60% to 70% (relaxable for reserved category candidates) at 10+2 or equivalent level.
Some of the popular colleges offering the course are:
- Anna University
- Manipal Institute of Technology
- SRM University
- Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University
The fee for the course varies between INR 80,000 to 14, 50,000 in India. The variation in fee is based on the location and nature of university (that is government, state/private/deemed etc.).
Admissions to the course involve Common Entrance Test (CET) based selection method as well as merit-based selection a criterion that is the percentage of marks obtained at 10+2 or equivalent level by the candidate. Colleges and Institute that provide admissions through CET mechanism rely on the score of All India Level common entrance exams like JEE Main, JEE Advanced, UPSEE etc while some of them go for a separate entrance exam of their own (like BITSAT, LPUNEST etc).
The course is a typical engineering based course with specialization in the domain of aerodynamics and aeronautics and is aimed at equipping bachelor’s students with sufficient knowledge and skills so, as to transform them into qualified and trained aeronautical engineers.
Aeronautical engineers have a wide range of opportunities to choose from in terms of job opportunities such as Maintenance engineer, Design engineer, management in charge, mechanical engineer etc. After completion of graduation, one may opt to pursue further studies like M.E. and M.Phil in the said subject or may take up job opportunities associated. The average salary ranges between INR 15000 to 18000 a month for fresh undergraduate students in the discipline.
Top Colleges for Bachelor of Engineering [BE] (Aeronautical Engineering)
- Bachelor of Engineering [BE] (Aeronautical Engineering) in Tamil Nadu
- Bachelor of Engineering [BE] (Aeronautical Engineering) in Karnataka
- BE/B.Tech in Delhi-NCR
- BE/B.Tech in Maharashtra
- BE/B.Tech in Chennai
- BE/B.Tech in Uttar Pradesh
B.E. Aeronautical Engineering: Course Highlights
|Course Level||Under Graduate|
|Duration of the Course||4 years|
|Eligibility||Minimum score of 60% to 70 %( Relaxable for reserved category students) marks at 10+2 or equivalent level with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics (PCM) as subjects of study.|
|Admission Process||Entrance exam based/Merit-based|
|Course Fee||Between INR 80,000 to 14.5 Lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 15,000 to 18,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||HAL, DRDO, National Aeronautics Lab, Air India, Civil Aviation clubs|
|Job Positions||Maintenance engineer, Design engineer, management in charge, mechanical engineer|
B.E. Aeronautical Engineering: What is it about?
Aviation and aircraft industry is considered to be the sunrise sector in developing countries like India. Besides providing linkages and fast means of transportation the aviation industry is also acting as a booster of economic growth by aiding other sectors of the economy.
This fast-paced industry requires proper maintenance of running aircrafts as well as designing and manufacturing of newer ones to meet the demand and supply chain. To keep up with these demands qualified and trained professional in the domain is what the industry demands.
B.E. Aeronautical Engineering course aims at plugging that demand and supply-gap in terms of trained and qualified aeronautical professionals. The course provides a domain specific and industry relevant knowledge to the students so as to make them capable of handling practical situations at the industry level.
Keeping in mind the challenges in the industry an aeronautical engineer needs to be technically and academically sound so, as to apply him in the work structure. The course design and structure keeps this fact well in mind and provides all the necessary support in the path.
B.E. Aeronautical Engineering: Top Institutes
The course is offered by a good number of colleges across the country to candidates who have passed their 10+2 or equivalent level examination from a recognized state or central board with PCM as a subject of study.
For your reference, we have tabled down a list of various colleges/universities that are offering this course in India.
|Institute||City||Average Fee (Per annum basis)|
|Anna University||Chennai||INR 103,000|
|PEC University of Technology||Chandigarh||INR 102,500|
|Manipal Institute of Technology||Manipal||INR 3,52,500|
|SRM University||Chennai||INR 2,00,000|
|SASTRA University||Thanjavur||INR 1,22,500|
|Acharya Institute of Technology||Bangalore||INR 204,000|
|Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University||Kakinada||INR 1,20, 000|
|Sathyabama University||Chennai||INR 1,85, 000|
B.E. Aeronautical Engineering: Eligibility
Candidate must have passed the 10+2 or equivalent examination from a recognized state or central board with at least 70% (relaxable for reserved category candidates) of the marks with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as the major subjects of study.
- He/She shall not be having any Supplementary or Compartment in any of the subject/Subjects at 10+2 or equivalent level that is yet to be cleared at the time of taking admissions.
- Apart from the above-mentioned eligibility criteria’s various colleges and institutes may have their own additional criteria’s which the students would have to satisfy in order to take admission.
- In case of reserved category students, they would have to present their reservation certificates issued by the competent authorities in order to avail the benefits applicable to them.
- Most of the Institute give admissions through Common Entrance Test (CET) (like JEE Main, UPSEE). To get admissions in these institutes candidates would have to qualify the respective entrance exam by securing minimum qualifying marks.
The eligibility criteria’s mentioned above are common to most of the universities and colleges across the country that are offering this course to the students.
B.E. Aeronautical Engineering: Admission Process
Admissions to the course are done through common entrance test based admission process (as seen across various Universities and colleges in the country) as well as merit-based selection process (in select few institutes/colleges).
- Students who have passed their 10+2 or equivalent level examinations with a minimum of 70% marks (relaxable for reserved category students) can make application in colleges offering the course.
- Majority of the Universities/Colleges conduct a common entrance test for admission into B.E courses (like BITS) or take admissions through commonly held entrance exam like JEE Main, UPSEE. Hence students would have to make an application for such exams.
- Students have to qualify these exams (for which they should be eligible to appear) in order to get admission in the course.
- After the conduct of the test, a merit list of finally qualified candidates is prepared and candidates are invited for counseling cum admission process by the respective university or college.
- After counseling cum admission process final allotment of seats to the candidate takes place and the candidate is asked to deposit the fee for the course and register for the respective academic year.
Admission process would more or less be same across all the colleges and universities that are offering this course.
Latest Bachelor of Engineering [BE] (Aeronautical Engineering) Admission Alert
- Andhra University Integrated B.Tech.- M.Tech Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Result
- Sri Venkateswara University (SVU) B.Tech Admission 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
- Sri Krishnadevaraya University (SKU) B.Tech and B.Arch Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
- MANUU B.Tech and B.Ed Admission 2019: Courses, Results, Cut Off, Dates, Fees
- Koneru Lakshmaiah University (KLU) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Placement, Result, Fees
- JNTU Kakinada B.Tech Admissions 2019: Courses, Entrance Exam, Result
B.E. Aeronautical Engineering: Syllabus and Course description
The syllabus of the course is divided into 8 semesters spread over a span of four years with each year comprising of two semesters and End Semester Exams being held after each semester. The syllabus of the course is divided into various subjects and practical skills that students are taught during the course of their under graduation. The syllabus covers all the aspects related to aeronautical engineering so as to provide a holistic understanding of the subject to the undergraduate students.
The details regarding the syllabus of the course are mentioned below so, as to provide reference of the candidates.
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Mathematics 1||Mathematics 2|
|Physics 1||Physics 2|
|Basics of Mechanics||Thermodynamics|
|Civil Engineering Basics||Basics of Electronics Engineering|
|Aeronautics and aviation||Environmental Engineering|
|Communicative English||Practical Lab|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Mathematics 3||Aircraft Structure 2|
|Aircraft Structure 1||Propulsion system|
|Aircraft Performance||Fundamentals of gas turbine engines|
|Beams and Trusses||Turning performance study|
|Body design 1||Body Design 2|
|Principles of Aerodynamics||Drafting Techniques|
|Practical Lab||Practical Lab|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|Aircraft Stability and control||Principles of Environmental Science and Engineering|
|Experimental Stress analysis||Professional Ethics|
|Elective 1||Management Science|
|Advanced propulsion techniques||Maintenance of aircraft 2|
|Missile propulsion||Total Quality Management|
|Control of aircraft||Elective subject 2|
|Maintenance of aircraft 1||Practical Lab|
|Semester VII||Semester VIII|
|Safety of aircraft||GPS technologies|
|Emergency operations||Air traffic control|
|Global aviation sector||Personnel management|
|Elective subject 3||Elective 4|
|Minor Project||Major Project|
|Practical Lab||Practical Lab|
B.E. Aeronautical Engineering: Who Should Opt for?
- Students who have interest in the field of avionics.
- Those who have interest in aircraft maintenance and related studies.
- Those who have a technical mindset and problem-solving skills.
- Those aiming at higher studies in the domain can opt for the course.
B.E. Aeronautical Engineering: Career Prospects
Undergraduates in aeronautical Engineering undergraduates have plenty of options to choose from in terms of their career. One can choose to work with firms such as civil aviation clubs, aircraft manufacturers, aircraft maintenance, air traffic controllers etc.
To provide you a holistic view of the career prospects of the course we have tabled certain areas and the respective roles attached to the same where aeronautical engineering undergraduates can look for in terms of their career.
|Job Profile||Role||Average Salary for Fresher’s|
|Design Engineer||Design engineer’s work involves design and layout preparation for various aircraft related equipment.||INR 2.0-2.4 Lacs|
|Maintenance Engineer||The job involves maintenance of aircrafts so as to avoid any wear and tear in the components.||INR 1.9-2.4 Lacs|
|Avionics Engineer||The job involves taking up the responsibility of ensuring proper functioning of electronics setup of the aircraft.||INR 1.8-2.3 Lacs|
|Air Traffic Controller||The job is a typical aviation job which involves controlling of air traffic through radio communication mechanism. ||INR 2.2-2.3 Lacs|
|Mechanical Engineer||Mechanical Engineers are entrusted with the responsibility of ensuring proper functioning of turbines and engines of the aircraft. ||INR 2-2.6 Lacs|