Master of Mass Communication, Advertising & Journalism is a postgraduate program in journalism. Sub-disciplines of the program include:
- Film & Television
- Public Relations
Components of study that form part of the course include:
- Media trends.
- Media style and presentation.
- Creative problem-solving skills in line with the industry trends.
- Print media.
- Copy Writing.
- Communication Research.
- Professional writing.
- Media and society.
- Multimedia technology.
- Principles of business law.
- Public relations.
- Media planning.
- Managing communication resources.
- Sales management.
- Marketing behavior.
- Creativity in advertising.
Minimum eligibility for admission to the course is the successful completion of graduation with a minimum aggregate score of 50%.
Such postgraduates are hired in capacities such as:
- Business Writer
- Public Relations Manager
- Corporate Communications Manager
- TV Director
- Public Affairs Manager
- Screenplay Writer
- Broadcast Journalist
- Ad Copywriter
- TV Anchor
- Tv Editors
- Event Executives
- Art Directors
- Print Journalists
- Web Content Writers
- Technical Writers
- Entrepreneurs, etc.
The average tuition fee charged for the course in India ranges between INR 10,000 and 5 Lacs for a span of 2 years.
In India, Foreign Trade postgraduates on an average are offered an annual salary ranging between INR 2 and 4 lacs, increasing with experience and skillset.
Top Colleges for Master of Communication & Journalism (MCJ)
- PG Diploma in Arts in Delhi-NCR
- PG Diploma in Arts in Maharashtra
- PG Diploma in Arts in Chennai
- PG Diploma in Arts in Uttar Pradesh
- PG Diploma in Arts in Telangana
Master of Communication & Journalism: Course Highlights
Listed below are some of the major highlights of the course.
|Course Level||Post Graduation|
|Examination Type||Semester System/Year wise|
|Admission Process||Based on performance in entrance exam|
|Course Fee||INR 10,000 to 5 Lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 3 to 12 lacs per annum|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Indiatimes, Hindustan times, NDTV, CNN, BBC, Sahara News, India TV, AIR, Accenture, HCL, Wipro, Infosys, Oracle, Adobe, News Corporation of Rupert Murdoch, Disney Entertainment, Warner Brothers, CNBC, Guardian Group, etc.|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Academic Institutes, Journals, News Agencies, Photography Companies, Printing Companies, Radio Telecasting Companies, AIR, Newspapers, Advertising Agencies, TV Channels, MNCs, IT companies, BPO, Theatres, and such.|
|Job Positions||Business Writer, Public Relations Manager, Corporate Communications Manager, TV Director, Scriptwriter, Public Affairs Manager, Screenplay Writer, Broadcast Journalist, Ad Copywriter, TV Anchor, Tv Editors, Event Executives, Managers, Producers, Art Directors, Print Journalists, Editors, Web Content writers, Technical Writers, Entrepreneurs, among others.|
Master of Communication & Journalism: What is it About?
The course is offered across different institutes as:
Specialties included in the course include:
- print journalism
- advertising and broadcasting.
The course aims to build in eligible students:
- awareness of technical and aesthetical aspects of Television Journalism.
- capacity of evaluation and analysis of the events happening around the world.
Master of Communication & Journalism: Who should opt?
Ideal candidates for the course would possess:
- an inquisitive mind.
- will power.
- aptitude for presenting information in an accurate, concise and effective manner.
- clarity of expression, both orally and in writing.
- tact and confidence while interviewing people from all walks of life.
- ability to sift relevant facts from the irrelevant, as necessary.
- ability to accept criticism and willingness to do considerable rewriting.
Top Institutes offering Master of Communication & Journalism
Listed below are some of the top institutes in India that offer the course.
|Name of Institute||City|| Average Fees (INR)|
|Lady Shri Ram College For Women||New Delhi||INR 19,057|
|Asian College Of Journalism||Chennai||INR 2,95,000|
|Indian Institute Of Mass Communication||New Delhi||INR 1,32,000|
|Xavier Institute Of Communications||Mumbai||INR 2,26,000|
|Indian Institute Of Journalism And New Media||Bangalore||INR 3,25,000|
|Madras Christian College||Chennai||INR 14,000|
|Symbiosis Institute of Media and Communication||Pune||INR 1,90,000|
|Manorama School of Communication||Kottayam||INR 1,50,000|
|St. Xavier's College||Mumbai||INR 22,380|
|Christ University||Bangalore||INR 1,13,000|
|Film and Television Institute of India||Pune||INR 48,315|
|Institute of Mass Communication and Media Technology||Kurukshetra||INR 22,120|
|Times School of Journalism||New Delhi||INR 2,72,000|
|Delhi College of Arts and Commerce||New Delhi||INR 10,470|
|Kamala Nehru College||New Delhi||INR 9,900|
|Apeejay Institute of Mass Communication||New Delhi||INR 90,000|
|Kishinchand Chellaram College||Mumbai||INR 16,848|
|Amity School of Communication||Noida||INR 97,000|
|Indraprastha College for Women||New Delhi||INR 23,500|
|Chitkara University||Patiala||INR 1,07,000|
Eligibility for Master of Communication & Journalism
Candidates aspiring for admission to the course are required to fulfil the following minimum eligibility criteria.
- Graduationcompleted in any stream, from a recognized educational Board.
- A minimum aggregate score of 50% (45% for SC/ST/OBC candidates) at the level of graduation.
Master of Communication & Journalism: Admission Process
Most institutes offering the course in India admit students based on their performance in a relevant entrance test, followed by a subsequent round of counselling. The round of counselling consists of two additional rounds of Group Discussion and Personal Interview, wherein the candidate’s general aptitude for the course is examined.
Some institutes conduct their own entrance tests for offering admission. Admission process generally varies across colleges.
Some such entrance exams are:
- AJ Kidwai Mass Communication Research Centre, Jamia Milia Islamia Entrance Exam
- Amrita University ASCOM Communication Aptitude Test
- Apeejay Institute of Mass Communication Entrance Exam
- Asian College of Journalism Entrance Exam
- Central Universities Common Entrance Test (CUCET 2019)
- Christ University Media and Communication Studies Entrance Test
- Indian Institute of Mass Communication (IIMC) Entrance Exam
- Jain University Journalism and Mass Communication (JUJMC) Entrance Test
- Manorama School of Communication (MSC) Entrance Exam
- NBA School of Mass Communication (AIMSAT)
- School of Communication, Manipal University Online Entrance Test (MU OET)
- Sofia Institute of Social Communication Media Entrance Exam
- SRM University Haryana Common Admission Test (SRMHCAT)
- Symbiosis institute of Mass Communication MA(MC) Entrance Test
- WLCI All India Combined Entrance Test (AICET)
- Xavier Institute of Communications Entrance Exam
Latest Master of Communication & Journalism (MCJ) Admission Alert
- Rashtriya Sanskrit Vidyapeetha MA and M.Sc Admissions 2019: Courses, Application Process, Eligibility
- University of Madras PG Diploma/Diploma & Certificate Programmes Admission 2019
- Madras University Distance Admission 2019
- Karnataka State Women's University (KSWU) UG & PG Admissions 2019
- NEET 2020 Exam Dates, Application Form, Syllabus and Cut Off
- JEE Main 2020 Exam Dates, Application Form, Eligibility, Syllabus and Cut Off
Master of Communication & Journalism: Syllabus and Course Description
A semester-wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is tabulated here.
|Introduction to Communication||Introduction to Media Technologies|
|Introduction to Mass Communication||Introduction to Public Relations|
|Introduction to Journalism||Journalistic Reporting and Editing|
|Introduction to Advertising||Advertising Design & Principles|
|Introduction to Computers||Introduction to Printing Technologies|
|Introduction to Production Technologies||Introduction to Communication Research|
|Introduction to Newspaper Management||Introduction to Photography|
|Introduction to Copywriting, Visualization & Campaign Effectiveness||Mass Communication Ethics & Laws|
|Introduction to Mass Communication & Society||New Media Technologies |
Master of Communication & Journalism: Career Prospects
Popular areas of employment for such postgraduates include:
- Press Information Bureau
- Monthly publications
- Central information services
- Internet websites
- Television channels.
Some of the popular professional avenues open to successful postgraduates of the course are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions.
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Pay Scale in INR|
|Business writer||Business Writers write proposals, and plan for an organization or a company, or reports on the stock market, financing, or other economic happenings for publications.||4,66,967|
|Public Relation Manager||Public Relation Managers make and keep up a great open picture for their employer or customers by communicating programs, accomplishments, and/or points of view. They likewise ordinarily create the public relations department budget. They commonly answer to the leader of a unit/division.||4,84,604|
|TV Director||Directors are in charge of the look and sound of a generation and its specialized measures. They work intimately with Producers or potentially writers, upgrading, refining, and acknowledging unique thoughts into completed projects. They are in charge of guaranteeing that a program is executed to the last idea.||13,04,885|
|Scriptwriter||Scriptwriters adjust or compose scripts for film or TV, giving summations and shooting scripts, working on, and rewriting deadlines. They create dialogues, characters and the story line of a movie script. The Script Essayist is frequently the most fundamental individual in film generation, in light of the fact that no movie can begin without some type of a script.||6,43,264|
|Event Manager||Event Managers manage staff in charge of event coordination activities. They organize points of interest, like events such as weddings, conferences, birthdays, charity events, anniversaries, surprise parties, sales meetings, trade shows, business meetings, virtual events, and events for employees.||3,70,755|