PhD in Genetics and Plant Breeding is a 3-year research-based academic program in the domain of agricultural sciences with a specialization in genetics and breeding related aspects of the plant. It is a doctorate level academic certification course that can be pursued by M.Phil or equivalent level pass out candidates and the minimum eligibility criterion for admission is 55% marks at M.Phil or equivalent level in the respective domain.
The course is aimed at providing in-depth knowledge and skills to the students about plant genetics and breeding so, that they can take on research activities with confidence and precision in the practical domain.
Some of the popular colleges/universities offering the course are:
- Lovely Professional University
- Central Agriculture University
- Indian Institute of Science
- Osmania University
The fee for the course ranges from 10,000 to 2.25 Lacs across various colleges and universities in the country that are offering the course. The variation in the fee is based on the location and type of university that is private/deemed or government.
PhD in Genetics and Plant Breeding admissions are done on the basis of percentage of marks obtained by the candidate in M.Phil or equivalent level. Those who are looking for funding or fellowship for the course have to fulfil the required eligibility criteria (along with clearing of a respective exam for that purpose) in order to receive the grants.
PhD in Genetics and Plant breeding students has a variety of options to choose from in terms of his/her career. He/she can make a start with firms/areas such as Plant Breeding centres, tissue culture labs, universities, farm enclosure, research centre, Nursery etc. Doctorate students are well equipped with the knowledge and application of the subject in practicality and are thus suitable for undertaking various roles at the industry level.
A fresh pass out can expect a starting salary of anywhere between INR 20,000 to 24,000 per month. The working in the domain involves both practical as well as academic soundness with the fundamentals of the domain.
Top Colleges for Ph.D. (Genetics & Plant Breeding)
- Ph.D. (Genetics & Plant Breeding) in Uttar Pradesh
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Agriculture in Delhi-NCR
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Agriculture in Maharashtra
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Agriculture in Chennai
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Agriculture in Uttar Pradesh
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Agriculture in Telangana
PhD in Genetics and Plant Breeding: Course Highlight Table
|Area Concerned||Agricultural Science|
|Duration of Course||3-5 Years|
|Admission process||Entrance Test based/Merit-based (Based on M.Phil or equivalent percentage)|
|Structure of Course||Semester-Wise/Yearly exam based|
|Eligibility||M.Phil. or equivalent from any college/university with a minimum of 55% (relaxable for reserved category candidates) marks.|
|Top recruiting areas||Plant Breeding centers, tissue culture labs, universities, farm enclosure, research center, Nursery|
|Job Profiles||Plant breeder, assistant professor, Cytogeneticians, Researcher, Managing officer etc.|
|Course Fee||INR 10,000 to 2.25 Lacs|
|Average starting salary||INR 20,000 to 24,000 per month|
PhD in Genetics and Plant Breeding: What is it about?
Genetics as an application of biotechnology deals with the study, analysis, editing, and structuring of the genetic composition of life forms. It has been seen as an area of study which has merit to correct various errors and omissions in life forms so as to enhance their functioning and efficiency.
Plant breeding, on the other hand, is a study of the science of growth and development of plant over a period of time. When the concepts of genetics and functions of plant breeding are discussed on a common platform a new area of research and development in regards to agricultural sciences is seen opened.
PhD in Genetics and Plant Breeding course provides that common platform where concepts and application of genetics are seen operating in the context of the life cycle of a plant that is from its growth to the development phase. The course aims at building on the knowledge and skill base that student has developed at Bachelor’s and Master’s level by involving the student in research and practical work. Through research, practice, and analysis the course curriculum aims at preparing the students for an overall domain expertise that would help them to take on the demands of the practical scenario.
PhD in Genetics and Plant Breeding: Top Institutes
A significant number of colleges/universities across the country offer PhD in Genetics and Plant breeding as a doctorate level course to candidates who have passed their M.Phil or equivalent education from a recognized state or central University.
For your reference, we have tabled down a list of various colleges/universities that are offering this course in India.
|Lovely Professional University||Jalandhar||INR 40,000|
|Acharya N.G. Ranga Agriculture University||Hyderabad||INR 10,967|
|Bidhan Chandra Krishi Viswa Vidyalaya||Nadia||INR 10, 500|
|Central Agriculture University||Imphal||INR 2,725|
|College of Postgraduate Studies||Shillong||INR 5, 465|
|GB Pant University of Agriculture and Technology||Pantnagar||INR 65,500|
|Indian Institute of Science||Bangalore||INR 25,500|
|Osmania University||Hyderabad||INR 2,500|
PhD in Genetics and Plant Breeding: Eligibility
Candidate must have passed their M.Phil or equivalent level examination with at least 55% (45% to 50% for reserved category candidates) of the marks from a recognized state/private/deemed or central University
- He/She shall not be having any backlog or compartment in any of the subject/subjects at M.Phil or equivalent level that is yet to be cleared at the time of taking admissions.
- Apart from the above-mentioned eligibility criteria’s various colleges and institutes may have their own additional criteria’s which the students would have to satisfy in order to take admission (Like work or research experience in the domain).
- In case of reserved category students, they would have to present their reservation certificates issued by the competent authorities in order to avail the benefits applicable to them.
- Certain Institutes grant admissions through Common Entrance Test (CET) like ICAR entrance exam. To get admission in these institutes candidates would have to qualify the respective entrance exam by securing minimum qualifying marks.
The eligibility criteria’s mentioned above are common to most of the universities and colleges across the country that are offering this course to the students.
PhD in Genetics and Plant Breeding: Admission Process4
Most Universities/Colleges offer admission based on the score of CET (like ICAR) or conduct their own entrance test (like AGRICET) for admission into PhD courses hence students would have to make an application for such exams.
- Students have to qualify these exams (for which they should be eligible to appear) in order to get admission in the course.
- After the conduct of the test, a merit list of finally qualified candidates is prepared and candidates are invited for admission process by the respective university or college.
- After preparation of final merit list, the process of final allotment of seats to the candidate takes place and the candidate is asked to deposit the fee for the course and register for the respective academic year.
Latest Ph.D. (Genetics & Plant Breeding) Admission Alert
- JNU Ph.D. Admission 2019: Eligibility, Application Process, Admission Process
- Jamia Millia Islamia Ph.D, M.Phil. Admissions 2019: Login, Application Form
- YSR Horticulture University M.Sc And Ph.D. Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Fees
- KVASU M.V.Sc. and Ph.D. Admission 2019
- TANUVAS PG Admission 2019
- Dr. Panjabrao Deshmukh Krishi Vidyapeeth Ph.D Admissions 2019
PhD in Genetics and Plant Breeding: Syllabus and Course description
The course has a variable time duration of 3 to 5 year and the syllabus is divided into various domain related subject and practical/research modules. The detailed description of the syllabus is tabled below for your reference.
|Subject/domain of study|
|Applications of Genetics|
|Breeding analysis of plant|
|Principles of genetics|
|Applications of biotechnology|
|Presentation and Report|
PhD in Genetics and Plant Breeding: Who Should Opt for?
- Students who have done M.Phil or equivalent in the domain.
- Those who have interest in the domain of agricultural sciences.
- Those who are looking for a career in the field of plant genetics.
- Those looking at a career as a researcher.
PhD in Genetics and Plant Breeding: Career Prospects
PhD in Genetics and Plant Breeding students have plenty of options to choose from in terms of their career. One can choose to work as a Plant breeder, assistant professor, Cytogeneticians, Researcher, Managing officer etc.
To provide you with a holistic view of the career prospects of the course we have tabled certain areas and the respective roles attached to the same where PhD holders in the respective domain can look for in terms of their career.
|Area/Domain||Role||Average Salary for Fresher’s|
|Cytogenetics||A Cytogenetician is one who works on the analysis and research of the chromosome composition and functioning as a part of the study on plant genetics.||INR 3.35-3.75 Lacs|
|Plant Breeder||The job involves breeding of plants, doing hybrid cross on various varieties of plants and rearing and nurturing of evolved hybrids.||INR 2.74- 3.28 Lacs|
|Researcher||The job involves practical work and academic analysis in regards to various developments in the domain of plant genetics and plant growth cycle.||INR 3.18 – 3.60 Lacs|
|Managing officer||The job involves management and coordination of activities among the staff working as a part of research unit or agricultural department.||INR 2.94-3.26 Lacs|
|Assistant Professor||It is a typical teaching job which involves the teaching of the subject in agricultural universities/colleges.||INR 3.16- 3.32 Lacs|