M.F.A. in Applied Arts is a 2-year postgraduate course, the minimum eligibility for admission to which is the successful completion of graduation from a recognized university.
The course is essentially about the application of design and decoration to everyday objects and products to make them aesthetically pleasing.
The program is divided across 4 semesters, of 6 months each, and interested candidates can pursue it in India for an average annual fee ranging between INR 1 and 4 Lacs, varying across institutes.
Admission to the course is offered on the basis of the candidate’s performance in a relevant entrance examination and a subsequent round of counseling, and often, on the basis of obtained merit at the level of graduation.
Such postgraduates are hired in fields such as:
- Animation Companies
- Publishing Houses
- Tailoring Shops
- Fashion Houses
- Music Companies
- Advertising Companies
- Television Industry
- Art Criticism, and such.
Successful postgraduates of the course in India are offered an average annual salary ranging between INR 2 and 10 Lacs, increasing with the candidate’s expertise and experience.
Top Colleges for Master of Fine Arts [MFA] (Applied Arts)
- MA in Delhi-NCR
- MA in Maharashtra
- MA in Chennai
- MA in Uttar Pradesh
- MA in Telangana
M.F.A. in Applied Arts: Course Highlights
Some of the major highlights regarding the course are tabulated below.
|Course Level||Post Graduate|
|Minimum Qualification Required||Graduation in a relevant discipline.|
|Admission Procedure||Merit-based/ Counseling after qualification of entrance exam.|
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Major Entrance Test||DU (Delhi University) MFA Entrance Test, Anna University MFA Entrance Exam, Jawaharlal Nehru University MFA Entrance Exam, etc.|
|Total Course Fee||INR 1 to 4 Lacs|
|Top Recruiting Fields/Areas||Theatres, Publishing Houses, Fashion Houses, Tailoring Shops, Advertising Agencies, Music Companies, Television Industry, Art Studio & Art Consultancies, Comics, Tourism Industry, Educational Institutes, Animation Companies, and such.|
|Job Profiles||Musicians, Music Teachers, Grafter & Writer, Art Director, Art Teacher, Graphic Artist, Graphic Designer, Creative Director, Drawing Teacher, Art Restorer, Art Critic, Photographer, Set Designers, among others such.|
|Average Initial Salary||INR 2 to 10 Lacs|
M.F.A. in Applied Arts: What is it About?
MFA in Applied Arts is a pursuit of:
- innovative and creative ideas and methodologies.
- development of design for decoration of everyday products and objects to make them aesthetically pleasing and captivating.
- an advanced learning in the artistic techniques that are used in Applied Arts.
- artistic elements in business materials, promotions, and designs.
- use of elements of art that can make businesses more profitable and products more effective.
- appropriate design skills needed for successfully operating in and contributing to the modern world of art.
- advanced research in the discipline through theoretical and practical components of study.
Candidates wishing for a more advanced level of understanding in the field and contributing to research work, can further opt for higher courses such as Ph. D., M. Phil., etc. in the subject.
M.F.A. in Applied Arts: Who should opt?
Aspiring candidates would ideally possess the following:
- interest in history & theory of art.
- aptitude for preserving Arts and Culture and enhancing it for present and coming generations.
- awareness of principles of motion, gesture, color theory, composition, acting, story structure and sound designs.
- creative mind and unique, out-of-the-box thinking.
Top Institutes offering M.F.A. in Applied Arts
Listed below are some of the top institutes in India that offer the course.
|NAME OF INSTITUTE||CITY||AVERAGE ANNUAL FEE|
|Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology (KIIT)||Bhubaneswar||INR 7,000 (course)|
|Chhatrapati Shahu Ji Maharaj University||Kanpur||INR 8,000 (course)|
|Atal Bihari Vajpayee Hindi Vishwavidyalaya (ABVHV)||Bhopal||INR 8,100 (course)|
|Sai Nath University||Ranchi||INR 9,000 (course)|
|Amity University||Lucknow||INR 1,76,000 (course)|
|Patna University (PU)||Patna||INR 2,390 (course)|
|Dr Baba Saheb Ambedkar Marathwada University||Aurangabad||INR 9,200 (course)|
|Mahatma Gandhi Kashi Vidyapith (MGKV)||Varanasi||INR 2,515 (course)|
|Jamia Milia Islamia University (JMI)||New Delhi||INR 7,050 (course)|
|NIMS University||Jaipur||INR 7,500 (course)|
|Aligarh Muslim University (AMU)||Aligarh||INR 8,980 (course)|
|Manipal University (MU)||Manipal||INR 43,000 (course)|
|Bundelkhand University||Jhansi||INR 20,000 (course)|
|Mangalayatan University (MU)||Aligarh||INR 20,000 (course)|
|Kurukshetra University (KU)||Kurukshetra||INR 4,513 (course)|
|Teerthanker Mahaveer University (TMU)||Moradabad||INR 7,200 (course)|
|University of Allahabad (UOA)||Allahabad||INR 1,300 (course)|
|Lovely Professional University (LPU)||Jalandhar||INR 1,29,000 (course)|
|Amity University||Jaipur||INR 64,000 (course)|
|Shiv Nadar University (SNU)||Greater Noida||INR 1,37,000 (course)|
Eligibility for M.F.A. in Applied Arts
Candidates aspiring for admission to the course are required to fulfill the following minimum eligibility criteria.
- B.F.A (Bachelor of Fine Arts) or another such equivalent course in a relevant discipline.
- A minimum aggregate score of 50% (45% for SC/ST/OBC candidates) at the level of graduation.
- Candidates in their final year of graduation can also apply for the course on provisional basis.
- Preferably, a relevant professional work experience, as most reputed institutes prefer candidates with work experience.
M.F.A. in Applied Arts: Admission Procedure
Some colleges also offer admission on the basis of obtained merit at the level of graduation. However, generally, in most of the colleges and institutes offering the course, admission is provided based on the candidate’s performance in a relevant entrance test, conducted at any of State and national levels, followed by a subsequent round of counselling.
The round of counselling involves two additional rounds of Group Discussion and Personal Interview, wherein candidate’s general aptitude for the course is examined. A merit list is subsequently released issued by the institute allocating available seats to the qualifying candidates.
Some of the popular entrance tests conducted by top institutes of the country for admission to the course are listed as follows.
- Delhi University (DU) M.F.A. Entrance Test
- Jawaharlal Nehru University M.F.A. Entrance Test
- JMI (Jamia Milia Islamia) University M.F.A. Entrance Test
- KIIT M.F.A. Entrance Test
- Punjab University M.F.A. Entrance Exam
- Rajiv Gandhi University M.F.A. Entrance Exam
- Sardar Patel University M.F.A. Entrance Exam
- Shivaji University M.F.A. Entrance Exam
- Tamil Nadu Open University M.F.A. Entrance Exam
- University of Calcutta M.F.A. Entrance Exam
- University of Jammu M.F.A. Entrance Exam
- University of Lucknow M.F.A. Entrance Exam
- University of Mumbai M.F.A. Entrance Exam
- University of Mysore M.F.A. Entrance Exam
- University of Patna M.F.A. Entrance Exam
- University of Pune M.F.A. Entrance Test
- University of Rajasthan M.F.A. Entrance Test
Latest Master of Fine Arts [MFA] (Applied Arts) Admission Alert
- JNU MA, M.Sc, MCA & MBA Admission 2019: Courses, Application Form, Eligibility, Entrance Exam
- Telangana University (TU) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Time Table, Results
- Jamia Millia Islamia PG Admissions 2019: Course, Fees, Result, Login, Entrance Exams
- Sri Venkateswara University (SVU) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
- Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning (SSSIHL) MA and M.Sc Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Fees
- Sri Krishnadevaraya University (SKU ) PG Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
M.F.A. in Applied Arts: Syllabus & Course Description
Tabulated below is a semester-wise breakup of the course’s curriculum.
|History of Indian Architecture||History of Art in India|
|History of Indian Painting and Sculpture||Indoor and Outdoor Drawing and Sketching|
|Calligraphy||Principles of Sources and Art|
|Clay and Plaster Modelling||Language: English/Hindi|
|Collage Painting & Print Media||Silk Screen, Stencil Print|
|Color Theory and Color Composition||Still Life|
|Drawing||2D & 3D Animation|
|Geometrical Drawing & Perspective Drawing||Advertising Theory|
|Computer Applications||Letter Calligraphy/Typography|
|Computer Graphics||Photography Black & White|
|Drawing and Illustrations (Indoor and Outdoor Study)||Photography and Reproduction Techniques|
|History of Far Eastern Art||Portfolio Development & Digital Manipulation|
|History of Modern Western Art||Poster Design|
|History of Modern Indian Art||Press Layout|
|History of Western Art||Project Work- Industry Interface|
M.F.A. in Applied Arts: Career Prospects
Applied Arts is about the rapidly increasing use of visual information and communications, with art being a crucial part of any company's operation.
Such postgraduates have lucrative career opportunities in fields such as:
- Advertising Companies
- Clothing Industry
- Dance Studios
- Digital Media
- Fashion Houses
- Publishing Houses
- Product Design
- Lectureship in leading institutes and fine arts colleges.
Some of the popular professional avenues open to such postgraduates of the course are tabulated below along with the corresponding salaries and basic job responsibilities associated with each.
|JOB PROFILE||JOB DESCRIPTION||AVERAGE ANNUAL SALARY|
|Graphic Designer||Graphic Designers develop visual concepts, using different computer software or by hand, in order to communicate ideas that inspire, inform, and captivate the attention of consumers. They may also develop the overall layout and production design for various applications, such as for advertisements, magazines, and corporate reports.||INR 3 to 10 Lacs|
|Animator||Animators are responsible for generating multiple images & pictures, known as frames, which give an illusion of movement called animation, when presented in rapid sequence. They work in a variety of fields including film, television, video games, etc.||INR 3 to 7 Lacs|
|Instrument Teacher||Instrument Teachers teach people of all age groups how to play an instrument (for example the piano, guitar or violin, table, etc.), or give singing and voice lessons. They also teach theory, or composition classes to advanced students.||INR 2 to 5 Lacs|
|Social Media Designer||Social Media Designers are responsible for designing and creating exciting social media pages and applications. They design customized and interactive sections while ensuring that all content is search engine optimization-compliant.||INR 4 to 9 Lacs|
|Visual Effects Supervisor||In the context of film, serial and television production, a Visual Effects Supervisor is responsible for satisfying the creative aims of the directors and producers through the use of visual effects.||INR 3 to 8 Lacs|
|Production Designer||Production Designers outline the visual concept of a film, television serial or theatre show. They identify and select a design style for sets, graphics, props, lighting, camera angles and costumes, while working closely with the producer and director of the film or television, or theatre production.||INR 3 to 6 Lacs|
|Directors professionally control a film's artistic and dramatic aspects, and visualize the script, while guiding the technical crew and actors working the film towards the fulfillment of that vision. They have a key role in choosing the cast members, production design, and the creative aspects of filmmaking.||INR 4 to 10 Lacs|