B.Ed. in History is a 2-year full-time undergraduate certificate-level course in education.
History covers the study of the evolution of human civilizations down the ages i.e. from the pre-historic to the present times.
The professional course covers the study of major historical events that took place both in India as well as across the world. The program’s curriculum is divided into 4 semesters.
Admission to the course is based on the round of counselling conducted after the candidate’s qualification of a relevant entrance test, such as that conducted by the University of Delhi.
- IGNOU B.Ed. Entrance Exam
- Delhi University B.Ed. Entrance Test
- Punjab University B.Ed. Entrance Test
- Mumbai University B.Ed. Entrance Test.
The course is offered at leading Indian institutes such as:
- Lady Shri Ram College for Women, New Delhi
- Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, New Delhi
- Jamia Millia Islamia University, New Delhi
Such graduates are hired in capacities such as:
- Archivist, Curator & Guide, Documentation Specialist, Historian.
- Information Manager, Librarian & Library Systems Analyst, Online Search Specialist.
- Research Assistant, Records Manager, Teacher, Writer/Editor.
- School Teachers, Private Tutor, Online Tutor, Education Consultant.
- Principal, Vice Principal, Counsellor, Content Writer.
- Instructor, Education Researcher, etc.
The average tuition fee charged for the course in India ranges between INR 5000 and 2 Lacs for a span of 3 years.
Successful graduates of the course can expect anything between INR 2 to 10 lacs as annual salary in the industry, increasing with experience and skillset.
Top Colleges for Bachelor of Education [B.Ed] (History)
- Bachelor of Education [B.Ed] (History) in Tamil Nadu
- Bachelor of Education [B.Ed] (History) in Karnataka
- B.Ed in Delhi-NCR
- B.Ed in Maharashtra
- B.Ed in Chennai
- B.Ed in Uttar Pradesh
B.Ed. in History: Course Highlights
Tabulated below are some of the major highlights of the course.
|Examination Type||Semester System/ Year wise|
|Eligibility||Graduation from a recognized university|
|Admission Process||Merit-based/ Based on counselling after qualification of entrance test.|
|Course Fee||INR 5000 to 2 Lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 2 to 10 lacs per annum|
|Top Recruiting Companies||National Institute of Sports Patiala, Indira Gandhi Institute of History and Sports Sciences New Delhi, Lakshmibai National Institute of History Gwalior, Lakshmibai National College for History Thiruvananthapuram, Tata Football Academy Jamshedpur, National Cricket Academy, Bangalore, Delhi University, etc.|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Archaeology & Archives, UPSC Jobs, Historical Parks Research Centers, Journalism, Museums, Preservation Departments, Radio Channels, Survey Offices and such.|
|Job Positions||Archivist, Curator & Guide, Documentation Specialist, Historian, Information Manager, Librarian & Library Systems Analyst, Online Search Specialist, Research Assistant, Records Manager, Teacher, Writer/Editor, School Teachers, Private Tutor, Online Tutor, Education Consultant, Principal, Vice Principal, Counsellor, Content Writer, Instructor, Education Researcher, among others.|
B.Ed. in History: What is it About?
History essentially involves recording, interpretation, and analyses of past occasions. The course acquires relevance in light of the fact that the study of History is important for understanding the human civilization and analyzing the earlier cultures of the society.
Students enrolled to the course are trained to research on major cultural, social, economic and political events that occurred in the past. Such graduates are hired in professional capacities such as:
- Administrative Assistant
- Management Trainee
- Research assistant.
Top Institutes offering B.Ed. in History
Tabulated below are some of the top institutes in India that offer the course.
|Name of Institute||City|| Average Fees|
|Lady Shri Ram College for Women||New Delhi||INR 19,030|
|Kasturi Ram College of Higher Education||New Delhi||INR 58,000|
|Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University||New Delhi||INR 23,000|
|Jamia Millia Islamia University||New Delhi||INR 6,800|
|University of Calicut||Calicut||INR 30,000|
|Lovely Professional University||Jalandhar||INR 69,000|
|Amity University||Lucknow||INR 86,100|
|Banaras Hindu University||Varanasi||INR 5,670|
|Icfai University||Dehradun||INR 57,000|
|Lady Irwin College||New Delhi||INR 12,955|
|Dr. D.Y. Patil Vidya Pratishthan Society's||Pune||INR 46,112|
|University of Lucknow||Lucknow||INR 21,854|
|Kamla Nehru Mahavidyalaya||Bhopal||INR 35,000|
|Integral University||Lucknow||INR 75,000|
|Kamal Institute of Higher Education & Advance Technology||New Delhi||INR 48,700|
|Bhabha College of Education||Bhopal||INR 36,000|
|Loreto College||Kolkata||INR 13,025|
|Bombay Teachers' Training College||Mumbai||INR 22,320|
|Government College of Education for Women||Coimbatore||INR 10,000|
|Ranchi University||Ranchi||INR 15,000|
Eligibility for B.Ed. in History
Listed below are the minimum criteria which candidates interested in pursuing the course are required to fulfil, in order to be eligible to apply for the course.
- Successful completion of graduation, preferably in the Science stream, completed from a recognized university.
- A minimum aggregate score of 50% (45% for SC/ST candidates) at the level of graduation.
B.Ed. in History: Admission Process
Most institutes offering the course admit students based on performance in a relevant entrance test, often followed by a round of personal interview, wherein their general aptitude for the course is tested. Admission process generally varies across colleges.
A few institutes also provide direct admission based on the candidate’s performance at the level of graduaion.
Listed below are some of the top entrance exams conducted in the country for admission to the course.
- Delhi University B.Ed. Entrance Test
- Punjab University B.Ed. Entrance Test
- Mumbai University B.Ed. Entrance Test
- Purvanchal B.Ed. Entrance Test
- M.J.P. Rohilkhand University B.Ed. Entrance Test
- Satyam College of Education (SCE) B.Ed. Entrance Test
- Guru Nanak Dev University (GNDU) B.Ed. Entrance Test.
Latest Bachelor of Education [B.Ed] (History) Admission Alert
- Jamia Millia Islamia UG Admissions 2019
- Rashtriya Sanskrit Vidyapeetha UG Admission 2019: Courses, Application Process, Eligibility
- Rashtriya Sanskrit Vidyapeetha M.Ed and Ph.D Admissions 2019: Courses, Application Process, Eligibility
- MANUU B.Tech and B.Ed Admission 2019: Courses, Results, Cut Off, Dates, Fees
- Kakatiya University (KU) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Time Table, Results
- Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar University (BBAU) BA, B.Com and B.Sc Admission 2019
B.Ed. in History: Syllabus and Course Description
A semester-wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is tabulated here.
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Philosophical Perspective in Education||Sociological Perspective in Education|
|Understanding the Learner||Educational Policy & Planning in Contemporary India|
|Teaching - Learning Process||Knowledge and Curriculum|
|Pedagogy of a School Subject (Part I)||Pedagogy of a School Subject (Part II)|
|Exploring Library and Other Learning Resources||School Management|
|Art in Education||Enriching Learning Through ICT|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|School Internship- Subject I||Assessment for Learning|
|School Internship- Subject II||Gender, School and Society|
|Engagement with Community (Experiences for Social and Environmental Sensitivity)||Inclusive School|
|Strengthening Language Proficiency||Understanding the Self|
|Health and History||Reading and Reflecting on Texts|
|Optional Courses (Any Two)|
|Guidance and Counseling||Human Rights and Value Education|
|Environment Education||Special Education|
|Distance and Open Learning||Comparative Education|
|Teacher Education||Vocational Education|
|Life Skills Education||-|
B.Ed. in History: Career Prospects
Such professionals typically break down and assess historical narrative proof. They may work with government agencies, not-for-profit organizations etc. in capacities such as:
- Policy analysts
- Local historians
- Evaluators and planners
- Cultural historic preservation officers
- Resources managers
- Records managers
- Information officers
- Gallery or museum curators
- Genealogists and librarians.
They may even work in marketing, PR, advertising and communication jobs, newspaper and broadcast journalism, or administrative and management roles.
Professionally, such graduates are involved in:
- Organizing service delivery.
- Report writing.
- Service committees, draft procedures, and policies.
Some of the popular professional avenues open to successful graduates of the course are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions.
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Pay Scale in INR|
|Archivist||Archivists manage, acquire, and maintain documents and different material that have historical value for people, organizations, and nations.||3,50,000|
|Historian||Historians research, record, analyze and interpret the past as recorded in sources, for example government and institutional records, newspapers, etc.||4,20,000|
|Professor||Professors teach across a wide range of territories at the post-secondary level. They deliver scholarly articles, perform research, and instruct.||9,13,657|
|Article Writer||Article Writers create written work such as, articles, reports, books, and different forms of verbal compositions.||2,43,264|
|Home Tutor||Home Tutors provide non-classroom, scholarly instruction to students on individual or group-basis.||2,91,632|