DM in Rheumatology is a 3-year full-time post-graduate course divided into 6 semesters. Rheumatology is a subspecialty of internal medicine concerned with:
of disorders relating to joints and adjourned tissues. The discipline is a specialty of medicine dedicated to disorders of the musculoskeletal system. Enrolled students are taught to treat such patients of all age groups.
Rheumatic disorders are one of the commonest causes of physical impairment in the community.
Rheumatologists are physicians who specialize primarily in:
treating patients with diseases affecting the joints.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Back Pain
Though Rheumatology, Clinical Immunology and Allergy go hand in hand as one division of the Internal Medicine department in hospitals, training and theory for the streams are different.
Rheumatologists are responsible for:
- researching to determine the cause of, and better treatments for, these disabling and sometimes fatal diseases.
- often acting as consultants to other physicians in the diagnosis and management of such diseases.
- treating patients referred to them by general physicians.
- conducting numerous diagnostic methodologies including:
- laboratory tests of the rheumatic system
- chemical pathology in order to identify the problem.
Unlike many other medical specialties, they essentially depend upon intensive clinical approach and tools to diagnose and monitor serious disorders. Such candidates are trained in:
- basic clinical knowledge and clinical skills required for practicing rheumatology.
- management of serious multisystem rheumatology disorders.
- conducting tests for neurological and other conditions that affect the function of the peripheral nerves.
- performing tests as professional healthcare scientists in neurophysiology.
- working closely with patients of all ages to investigate the function of the nervous system.
- diagnosing and monitoring neurological disorders, including:
- nerve and muscle dysfunction
- multiple sclerosis.
The average annual course fee in India ranges between INR 5,000 and 20 lacs, depending upon the institute offering the course. The average annual salary offered in India to successful postgraduates of the course ranges between INR 2 and 10 lacs, depending upon the candidate’s expertise in the field.
Top Colleges for DM [Rheumatology]
- MD in Delhi-NCR
- MD in Maharashtra
- MD in Chennai
- MD in Uttar Pradesh
- MD in Telangana
DM in Rheumatology: Course Highlights
Tabulated below are some of the major highlights of the course.
|Course Level||Post Graduate|
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||MBBS from a recognized university|
|Admission Process||Counselling after qualification of entrance examination|
|Top Recruiting Organizations||Hindustan, Oregon, Integro, etc.|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Manipal healthcare enterprises, ILBS, colleges and universities, and such. |
|Top Job Profiles||Product Manager, Dialysis Medical Officer, Nephrology Specialist, among others.|
|Course Fee||INR 5,000 to 20 lakhs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 2 to 10 lakhs|
DM in Rheumatology: What is it About?
Rheumatology in India is still a budding specialty, and is faced with the enormous challenge of providing treatment of the huge burden of rheumatic diseases in the population. It acquires relevance because:
- More community-based studies are needed to assess the exact burden of different rheumatic disease.
- Innovative formulation of multiple-level strategies is needed to meet this challenge. There is an urgent need to train more rheumatologists from India to cater to the growing populace.
- There is a need to enhance collaborative research in the field, both nationally and internationally.
Top Institutes offering DM in Rheumatology
Some of the top institutes offering the course in the country with the corresponding locations and fees charged by the respective colleges are listed below.
|NAME OF INSTITUTE||CITY|
AVERAGE ANNUAL FEES
|Amrita School of Medicine||Kochi||INR 15,80,000|
|BJ Medical College||Ahmedabad||INR 9,000|
|Bombay Hospital Institute of Medical Sciences||Mumbai||INR 69,400|
|Deccan College of Medical Sciences||Hyderabad||INR 2,50,000|
|Dr. DY Patil Vidyapeeth||Pune||INR 19,00,000|
|Dr. NTR University of Health Sciences||Vijayawada||INR 60,000|
|Government Medical College||Kottayam||INR 1,80,000|
|Government Medical College||Kozhikode||INR 40,000|
|JSS Medical College and Hospital||Mysore||INR 6,63,000|
|Kasturba Medical College Manipal||Udupi||INR 3,54,000|
|Kurnool Medical College||Kurnool||INR 11,400|
|Madras Medical College||Chennai||INR 20,000|
|Maharashtra University of Health Sciences||Nasik||INR 60,000|
Eligibility for DM in Rheumatology
Candidates aspiring for admission to the course are required to fulfill the following minimum eligibility criteria.
- Post-graduation (MBBS or equivalent degree), completed from an institute recognized by the Medical Council of India (MCI) or any of the State Medical Councils.
- A minimum aggregate score of 55% (50% for SC/ST/OBC candidates) at the level of post-graduation.
- 1- year compulsory rotating internship.
- Preferably, a minimum of 12 months of professional experience, as most reputed institutes prefer candidates with work experience.
DM in Rheumatology: Admission Process
Generally, in most of the colleges and institutes offering the course, admission is provided based on the candidate’s performance in a relevant entrance test, such as NEET PG, conducted at the national level, followed by a subsequent round of counselling.
The round of counselling involves two additional rounds of Group Discussion and Personal Interview, wherein candidate’s general aptitude for the course is examined. A merit list is subsequently released issued by the institute allocating available seats to the qualifying candidates.
Latest DM [Rheumatology] Admission Alert
- Sri Venkateswara Institute of Medical Sciences (SVIMS) MD Admissions 2019: Courses, Merit List, Fees
- Dr. NTR University of Health Sciences (NTRUHS) MD, MS and MDS Admission 2019: Courses, Dates, Placement, Fees
- CMC Ludhiana PG Admission 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Fees
- Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham PG Medical, Dental and Pharmacy Admission 2019
- Jagadguru Sri Shivarathreeswara (JSS) University MD/MS/MDS Admissions 2019
- NIMHANS UG and PG Admission 2019: Courses, Application Form, Entrance Exam Date, Result
DM in Rheumatology: Syllabus and Course Description
A year - wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is tabulated below.
|History of public health||Health management||Population science|
|Concepts in community medicine||Health economics||Genetics|
|Epidemiology||Health services||Mental health|
|Research methods||Environmental health||Behavioral science|
|Epidemiology for specific diseases||Occupational health and safety||Pedagogy|
DM in Rheumatology: Career Prospects
Qualified Rheumatologists can find lucrative career opportunities across both government and private hospitals. They may;
- head the Rheumatology department and become medical directors after gaining experience in the field.
- open their own clinic.
- pursue teaching in medical colleges.
- pursue advanced research in the subject.
Rheumatology is a rapidly growing medical specialty with advancements owing to new scientific methodologies for prior identification of diseases pertaining to rheumatology and immunology.
Some of the top professional avenues open to such postgraduates are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions.
|JOB POSITION||JOB DESCRIPTION||AVERAGE ANNUAL SALARY|
|Public Health Manager||Public Health Managers are in charge of maintaining healthcare standards, coordinating treatment programs, managing finances, and providing an efficient healthcare operation. They are in charge of human resources within a healthcare system, and marketing new treatments and healthcare policies to the public. Some examples of public health services include providing influenza shots, treating smallpox, and educating the public on HIV, distributing condoms, and AIDS diseases and treatment options.||INR 8,00,000|
|Physician||General Physicians treat, diagnose, and manage a wide range of conditions, infections and the flu, including sprains, and determine if the condition warrants a specialist or more intensive care. They work to seek to promote both emotional and physical well-being by educating patients on healthy lifestyles.||INR 5,87,000|
|Epidemiologist||Research Epidemiologists study diseases to find ways to cure or prevent them, and treat them. They research on diseases that affect the whole human body, or focusing on their researching on illnesses that target one region of the body, such as the lungs or heart. They typically work at research facilities, some universities and colleges, or for the federal government. They usually work in hospitals or outpatient centres, where they collaborate with doctors to stop or prevent the outbreak of diseases.||INR 7,68,000|
|Internal Medicine Consultant||Branding Consultants provide solutions, analysis, and general marketing expertise to help companies successfully sell their products. They work for management consulting firms or advertising agencies and interact with a client company's brand managers or marketing executives. They develop and help implement strategies for both new and existing products, and they can influence all phases of marketing, from design and distribution decisions, to advertising and public relations messaging.||INR 24,00,000|
|Research Officer||Research Officers may also be called Research Managers. They supervise research projects from the early planning stages to project completion. They communicate with the team members and verify that all projects and tasks are on schedule. Some managers or officers also help gather data, varying by industry and project need. Most research Officers and Managers report project progress to supervisors and other committees.||INR 4,00,000|