MA in Malayalam is a 2-year postgraduate course in Malyalam language and literature, the minimum eligibility for pursuance of which is the successful completion of graduation in any discipline, and from a recognized institute of higher education.
As an academic discipline, MA in Malayalam focuses on:
- core Malayalam language, its origin, history, etc.
- all forms related to the language, such as:
- Literary Criticism
- Drama, etc.
|MA In Malayalam Colleges In Kerala||MA In Malayalam Colleges In Tamil Nadu||MA In Malayalam Colleges In Andhra Pradesh||MA In Malayalam Colleges In Uttar Pradesh|
Such postgraduates are hired in capacities such as:
- Customer Service Associate
- Personnel Manager
- Political Scientist
- Relation Executive
- Sales Coordinator
- Interpreter (from one language to other)
- Content Writer/ Editor
- Part Time Trainer – Malayalam
- Assistant Professor – Malayalam
- Data Entry Operator
- Tele-caller, etc.
The average course fee charge in India ranges between INR 2,000 – 5 lacs for the total duration.
The average annual salary offered to successful graduates of the course ranges between INR 4 and 10 lacs per annum.
Top Colleges for Master of Arts [MA] (Malayalam)
- Master of Arts [MA] (Malayalam) in Kerala
- MA in Delhi-NCR
- MA in Maharashtra
- MA in Chennai
- MA in Uttar Pradesh
- MA in Telangana
MA in Malayalam: Course Highlights
Listed below are some of the major highlights of the course.
|Course Level||Post Graduation|
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Admission Process||Merit-based/ based on performance in entrance exam.|
|Course Fee||INR 2,000 to 5 Lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 4 to 10 lacs per annum|
|Top Recruiting Industries||Teaching, Literature, Translation and other language services, Tourism, Print Media, Advertising Companies or agencies, TV Channels, etc.|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Academic Institutes, Journals, News Agencies, Photography Companies, Printing Companies, Private organization Advertising Agencies, TV Channels, Translation and other language services, Tourism, and such.|
|Job Positions||Consultant, Teacher, Customer Service Associate, Personnel Manager, Economist, Sociologist, Political Scientist, Relation Executive, Sales Coordinator, Interpreter (from one language to other), Content Writer - Editor, Actor, Translator, Part Time Trainer – Malayalam, Assistant Professor - Malayalam Journalism, Data Entry Operator, Tele-caller, among others.|
MA in Malayalam: What is it About?
MA in Malayalam deals with the core knowledge of Malayalam language. Students enrolled to the course are taught Malayali:
- History, etc.
Components of study that form part of the course’s curriculum include:
- Bhasha Shasthram
- Kadha Sahithyam
- Malayala Bhasha Vyakaranam, etc.
The course essentially aims to familiarize eligible candidates on an advanced level with:
- common nouns for effective communication.
- common verbs for developing effective communication.
- critical analyses and investigation of poetry.
- figures of speech and their usage.
- verbal structures of the language.
Top Institutes offering MA in Malayalam
Listed below are some of the top institutes in India that offer the course.
|Name of Institute||City|| Average Fees|
|Maharaja's College||Ernakulam||INR 3,000 (course)|
|Aligarh Muslim University||Aligarh||INR 8,980 (course)|
|Madurai Kamaraj University||Madurai||INR 3,690 (course)|
|University Of Madras||Chennai||INR 3,578 (course)|
|MAR Ivanios College||Thiruvananthapuram||INR 37,500 (course)|
|Kannur University||Kannur||INR 6,900 (course)|
|CMS College||Kottayam||INR 7,030 (course)|
|Ettumanoorappan College Ettumanoor||Kottayam||INR 37,500 (course)|
|Fatima Mata National College||Kollam||INR 37,500 (course)|
|KKTM Government College||Kodungallur||INR 2,725 (course)|
|Little Flower College Guruvayoor||Thrissur||INR 3,370 (course)|
|Mahatma Gandhi College||Trivandrum||INR 3,960 (course)|
|Sree Narayana College||Thrissur||INR 2,540 (course)|
|Sanatana Dharma College||Alappuzha||INR 37,500 (course)|
|Sree Krishna College Guruvayoor||Thrissur||INR 2,895 (course)|
|Sree Narayana College||Kollam||INR 1,760 (course)|
|St Thomas College Ranny||Pathanamthitta||INR 2,700 (course)|
|The Zamorins Guruvayurappan College||Kozhikode||INR 37,500 (course)|
|Thunchan Memorial Government College||Tirur||INR 18,750 (course)|
|Union Christian College||Aluva||INR 37,500 (course)|
|University College||Thiruvananthapuram||INR 2,195 (course)|
|Vimala College||Thrissur||INR 40,000 (course)|
Eligibility for MA in Malayalam
Listed below are the minimum criteria which candidates interested in pursuing the course are required to fulfil, in order to be eligible to apply for the course.
- Graduation completed in any stream from a recognized institute.
- A minimum aggregate score of 50% (45% for SC/ST/OBC candidates) at the level of graduation.
- Proficiency in Malayalam.
MA in Malayalam: Admission Process
Most institutes offering the course admit students based on performance in a relevant entrance test, often followed by a round of personal interview, wherein their general aptitude for the course is tested. Admission process generally varies across colleges.
A few institutes also provide direct admission based on the candidate’s performance at the level of graduation.
Some such entrance exams conducted in the country for admission to the course are:
- Maharaja's College Entrance Exam
- Aligarh Muslim University Entrance Exam
- Madurai Kamaraj University Entrance Exam
- University of Madras Entrance Exam
- Mar Ivanios College Entrance Exam
- Kannur University Entrance Exam
- CMS College Entrance Exam
- Ettumanoorappan College Entrance Exam
- Fatima Mata National College Entrance Exam
- KKTM Government College Entrance Exam
- Little Flower College Entrance Exam
- Mahatma Gandhi College Entrance Exam
- Sree Narayana College Entrance Exam
- Sanatana Dharma College Entrance Exam
- Sree Krishna College Entrance Exam
- Sree Narayana College Entrance Exam
- St. Thomas College Entrance Exam
- The Zamorins Guruvayurappan College Entrance Exam
- Thunchan Memorial Government College Entrance Exam
- Union Christian College Entrance Exam
- University College Entrance Exam
- Vimala College Entrance Exam
Latest Master of Arts [MA] (Malayalam) Admission Alert
- JNU MA, M.Sc, MCA & MBA Admission 2019: Courses, Application Form, Eligibility, Entrance Exam
- Telangana University (TU) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Time Table, Results
- Jamia Millia Islamia PG Admissions 2019: Course, Fees, Result, Login, Entrance Exams
- Sri Venkateswara University (SVU) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
- Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning (SSSIHL) MA and M.Sc Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Fees
- Sri Krishnadevaraya University (SKU ) PG Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
MA in Malayalam: Syllabus and Course Description
A semester-wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is tabulated here.
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Malayala bhasha charithram varthamanam||Aadhunikam 1|
|Kadha sahithyam||Bhasha shasthram|
|Graph theory||Bharatheeya sahithya sidhanthangal|
|Sahithya charithra vinjaneeyam||Partial difference equations|
|Samskritham||Bharatheeyethara Sahithya sidhanthangal|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Aadhunikam 2||Elective 1|
|Malayala bhasha vyakaranam||Elective 2|
|Number theory and cryptography||Project|
|Drishyakala sahithyam||Viva voce|
|Kerala samskara padanam||-|
MA in Malayalam: Career Prospects
There is a huge demand for teachers skilled in Malayalam.
Such postgraduates are popularly hired as:
- private tutors
- consecutive interpreters
- general interpreters
- liaison interpreters.
Translators are often hired across fields such as:
- Publishing houses
- Hotel industry
- Travel and tourism, etc.
Some of the popular professional avenues open to such postgraduates are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions.
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Pay Scale in INR|
|Teacher/Lecturer||Teachers create lesson plans and teach those plans to the entire class, individually to students or in small groups, and track student progress. They create tests, create and reinforce classroom rules, work with school administration, and prepare students for standardized tests.||3,01,462|
|Professor||Professors teach courses in their branch of knowledge. They work with students looking to earn a degree, or to enhance their expertise in the subject.||9,13,657|
|Content Editor||Content Editors are in charge of all parts of written content, including improvement, outline, creation, introduction, assessment and investigation, to give some examples. They utilize information and criticism from clients to help assess and improve the content of composed material.||3,72,593|
|Economist||Economists commonly research and investigate monetary issues. They direct studies and gather information. they examine information utilizing numerical models and statistical techniques.||6,87,845|
|Political Scientist||Political Scientists study the beginning, origin, development, and operation of political frameworks. They examine political ideas, and governments, policies, political patterns, and related issues.||3,20,333|