B.Sc. in Physiology is a 3- year undergraduate course designed to impart advanced lessons to eligible candidates in the functioning and working of the human body, the various organs and the tiny cells and tissues. The course familiarizes candidates with the mechanical, physical and biochemical functions that work cohesively to keep the body in good health.
The discipline of physiology is an offshoot of the discipline of biological sciences that plays a crucial role in helping us understand how the various organs, tissues and cells in the body keep it alive. It also helps understand and devise ways to protect the body against the illnesses and impairments that the human body is susceptible to.
Understanding the human physiology is hence vital in devising diagnostic techniques and appropriate treatment procedures for the body.
The course fees in India ranges between INR 15,000 and 50,000 for the total duration. The average annual salary offered to successful postgraduates of the course ranges between INR 5 and 6 lacs.
Top Colleges for Bachelor of Science [B.Sc] (Physiology)
- B.Sc in Delhi-NCR
- B.Sc in Maharashtra
- B.Sc in Chennai
- B.Sc in Uttar Pradesh
- B.Sc in Telangana
B.Sc. in Physiology: Course Highlights
Listed below are some of the major highlights of the course.
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||10+2 from a recognized university|
|Admission Process||Direct admission, and entrance test in some cases.|
|Course Fee||INR 15,000 - 50,000|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 5 - 6 lacs|
|Top Recruiting Fields/Areas||Biomedical Companies, Hospitals and Clinics, Research Labs, Health Science Agencies, etc.|
B.Sc. in Physiology: What is it About?
The course offers advanced lessons to eligible candidates on the intricacies of the body and its mechanisms at various levels, namely at the cellular, tissue and organ level. Students are taught to relate the various functions of the body with the body's organs and systems. Physiology is a detailed study of the biological processes that keep us ticking. Other than human physiology, the discipline also covers a study of the animal physiology.
Essential components that form part of the program’s study are Biochemistry, Biochemical Principles, Biostatistics, Blood and Body Fluids, Clinical Biochemistry, Environment Physiology, Histology, Microbiology, and so on. The course also covers a detailed academic examination and exploration of the body’s nervous, respiratory, endocrine, cardiovascular, and circulatory systems.
B.Sc. in Physiology: Who Should opt?
Listed here are the skills that ideal candidates of the course would possess.
- Good Communication: Communication is critical for any career, but it’s especially important while studying human behavior. The ability to communicate with clients is imperative for Clinical Psychologists to treat them better. Research Psychologists need to be able to effectively describe observations and present their findings well.
- Numeracy: Researchers deal with large amounts of data that need interpretation. A good Psychologist can interpret and summarize these numbers with the use of statistical tests and equations. Without these abilities, researchers could not begin to understand what they are observing and whether it is significant to the wider human population, and Clinical Psychologists would not be able to understand the data and how to apply it in practice.
- Research: Whether one is conducting one’s own experiments and, or is trying to help a patient by seeing what other psychologists have experienced, knowing how and where to find the information one needs is critical. Being able to find the required information, and evaluating it effectively is hence crucial.
- Ethics: Physiology comes with enormous responsibility. Having a strong ethical code is important to ensure the safety and well-being of patients. And as a researcher, basing experiments on a strong ethical foundation is critical to ensure unbiased, useful results without negatively impacting the patient.
- Patience: Results in psychology can often take years to arrive, whether in pure research or when working directly with patients. One needs to be able to keep oneself motivated, even when results aren’t immediately apparent.
- Problem-Solving: Just as in every career, things in psychology do not always work as planned. Problems arise from time to time and need to be solved. One needs to have the ability to provide alternative strategies and implement them quickly. One needs a library of approaches ready to make sure that work doesn’t suffer.
Top Institutes offering B.Sc. in Physiology
Listed below are some of the top institutes offering the course in the country with the corresponding locations and fees charged by each.
|Name||City||Average Fees in INR|
|Acharya Narendra Dev College||New Delhi||22,800|
|Dyal Singh College||New Delhi||31,860|
|Sonarpur Mahavidyalaya||South 24 Paraganas||42,360|
Eligibility for B.Sc. in Physiology
As a minimum criterion of eligibility, candidates wishing to pursue the course need to have attained the 10+2 or equivalent qualification in the science stream with Physics, Chemistry Biology and Math as main subjects.
|Bachelor of Science in Kerala||Bachelor of Science in Karnataka||Bachelor of Science in Andhra Pradesh||Bachelor of Science in Bihar|
B.Sc. in Physiology: Admission Process
Admission to the course is merit- based, following the candidate’s performance at the 10+2 level.
However, some universities often have an entrance test in place for assessing and shortlisting candidates.
Latest Bachelor of Science [B.Sc] (Physiology) Admission Alert
- Jamia Millia Islamia UG Admissions 2019
- Sri Venkateswara Veterinary University (SVVU) BVSc & BFSc Admission 2019: Courses, Application Process, Dates, Fees
- Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning (SSSIHL) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Fees
- Rashtriya Sanskrit Vidyapeetha UG Admission 2019: Courses, Application Process, Eligibility
- Maulana Azad University (MANUU) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Results, Cut Off, Dates, Fees
- Koneru Lakshmaiah University (KLU) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Placement, Result, Fees
B.Sc. in Physiology: Syllabus and Course Description
A year- wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is tabulated below.
|Biophysical and Biochemical Principles involved in Human System|
|Blood and Body Fluids|
|Conservation of Matter|
|Energy in Human Systems|
|Immunology and Immunization Programs|
|Nerve Muscle Physiology|
B.Sc. in Physiology: Career Prospects
There are multiple specializations offered in the discipline of physiology, such as Nutrition, Pharmacy, Nursing, Physiotherapy, Radiography, Toxicology, among many others.
Such professionals also work in both public and private environmental health sectors. Since physiology also relates with animal studies, one can also professionally pursue the veterinary field.
Some of the popular avenues open to such graduates are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions.