M.Sc. Botany is a 2-year postgraduate course in Botany. It is a discipline which is all about the thorough scientific study of plant life. For eligibility purposes, a candidate should pass B.Sc. Degree or equivalent with a recommended score from any recognized university.
Top M.Sc. Botany Institutes are:
- St. Xaviers, Mumbai
- Christ University, Bangalore
- Ramjas College, New Delhi
- Fergusson College, Pune
- Miranda House, New Delhi
The way in which this course is designed, enables students to harness their theoretical knowledge and practical training in Botany. For M.Sc. Botany course, the average tuition fee ranges from INR 20,000 to 1.6 lacs depending on various M.Sc Botany colleges
After completing M.Sc. Botany course, botany graduates can make a successful career in top companies in private and public sectors alike. The common fields for them are food and processing, biotechnology, oil industry, chemical industry, forest services, plant health inspection services and seed and nurseries companies.
Check M.Sc Botany Career Options
M.Sc. Botany: What is it about?
Botany is a branch of biology that is focused on the scientific study of plant life. It covers an array of disciplines related with the study of various topics such as reproduction, chemical properties, plants, growth, algae and fungi, structure, development, evolutionary relationships among taxonomic groups and diseases.
Being a postgraduate botany course, the objective of this course is to produce intellectual and proficient botanists. It is done by this course through enhancing the abilities and skills of students for application of botany theories and expertise in the live problems faced by industry.
M.Sc. Botany course offers specializations to the students in the areas such as bryology, forestry, cytology, phycology, plant morphology, agronomy, plant systematic, ethnobotany, economic botany, phytopathology, horticulture, genetics, plant anatomy, lichenology, plant ecology, playnology, phytochemistry and palaeobotany.
Check M.Sc Botany Syllabus
Top Colleges for Master of Science [M.Sc] (Botany)
- Master of Science [M.Sc] (Botany) in Tamil Nadu
- Master of Science [M.Sc] (Botany) in Uttar Pradesh
- Master of Science [M.Sc] (Botany) in Maharashtra
- Master of Science [M.Sc] (Botany) in Uttarakhand
- Master of Science [M.Sc] (Botany) in Rajasthan
Who Should Opt For M.Sc. Botany?
A knack for scientific methods and the rigors of scientific research is exactly what M.Sc. Botany course looks for in a candidate. The aspirants, who are highly curious, have clear and concise written and verbal communication skills and can creatively solve the problem are a natural fit for this course. The candidates who dream to move to key positions in top companies in future should apply for this course.
The students having the ability to keep up with the latest trends and development in the field are a natural fit for this course. It is meant for the students who are looking for a career in botany. M.Sc. Botany course is perfect for the aspirants who see their future developing and designing innovative techniques and methods for botany.
Top Colleges offering M.Sc. Botany
The top colleges offering Master of Science in Botany are:
Anugrah Narayan College
University of Jammu
Fatima Mata National College
Academic Options after M.Sc. Botany
After completion of M.Sc. Botany course, the students can study further to enhance their qualification. If the student holds an interest in research then they may pursue either M. Phil. or Ph.D. in Botany. Universities like Guru Nanak Dev University Amritsar,University of Delhi Delhi and University of Calicut- Calicut etc. offer M. Phil. in Botany.
Ph.D. in Botany is offered by various universities such as Jamia Hamdard University Delhi and Presidency College Chennai etc.
Eligibility Of the Master of Science [M.Sc] (Botany)
Eligibility criteria for M.Sc. Botany is as follows.
- Recognized undergraduate degree in B.Sc. or equivalent
- A recommended minimum score at the level of graduation which can vary from college to college
For admission to M.Sc. Botany course, all universities follow their own admission norms. For instance, University of Delhi prepares a merit list on the basis of which University’s Colleges take admissions.
Most of the institutions have direct entry as admission mode. However, there are some universities which prefer to conduct entrance tests for admissions. Hence, the students who have appeared in final year examination of under-graduation and await the result are allowed to apply for the course by such institutions.
How to Get Admission in Master of Science [M.Sc] (Botany)
The most common route to this course is through direct entry. A merit list is prepared on the basis of scores in the under graduation program and selection is made accordingly. This admission procedure is followed by all the universities.
There are some universities which conduct their entrance tests for the purpose of taking admissions. Banaras Hindu University conducts post graduate entrance exam for taking admissions for postgraduate course in botany. University of Rajasthan holds Joint Entrance Test for admissions in Master courses with a 70% weight assigned to entrance and the rest to academic record of qualifying exam.
Latest Master of Science [M.Sc] (Botany) Admission Alert
- JNU MA, M.Sc, MCA & MBA Admission 2019: Courses, Application Form, Eligibility, Entrance Exam
- Telangana University (TU) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Time Table, Results
- Jamia Millia Islamia PG Admissions 2019: Course, Fees, Result, Login, Entrance Exams
- Sri Venkateswara University (SVU) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
- Sri Venkateswara Institute of Medical Sciences (SVIMS) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Merit List, Fees
- Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning (SSSIHL) MA and M.Sc Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Fees
The top entrance exams for Master of Science in Botany are:
- BHU Post Graduate Entrance Test: Held by Banaras Hindu University in May every year, it is a university level entrance test to take admission for post graduate programs at BHU. This test asks questions from Zoology, Chemistry and Botany.
- Joint Entrance Test: Conducted every year by University of Rajasthan in June, Joint Entrance Test is an entrance examination for admissions in post graduate courses. Its syllabus covers Zoology, Chemistry and Botany.
- SVUCET: This entrance examination is held in June every year by Sri Venkateswara University Common Entrance Test. This test covers questions from Zoology, Chemistry and Botany.
Every institute follows a selection process of its own. Some of them take admissions on the basis of merit list. However, the others accept scores of entrance tests conducted by them. Some universities proceed with the students who qualify the entrance exams and move them to next filtering stage that is a personal interview or group discussion round.
Further, some of the universities may undertake a comprehensive counseling procedure for final selection for admission to Master of Science in Botany. There are many institutes which prefer to take direct admission in this course as per the merit list based on marks scored in undergraduate degree.