M.Sc. in Entomology is a 2-year full-time post-graduate course divided into 4 semesters. The program combines theoretical and practical training in:
- control of disease vectors
- human pathogens such vectors transmit.
Students enrolled to the course are imparted:
- specialized skills in the Molecular Biology of infectious diseases.
- skills in all aspects of major vector-borne diseases.
- lessons in processes regulating vector populations.
- grounding in the systematics of medically important arthropods.
- lessons in biology of vector–parasite and vector–vertebrate interactions.
- skills in producing integrated management solutions that pay due regard to social, agronomic, and environmental requirements.
- learning in ways to disseminate issues and ideas relating to insect control and conservation to a range of audiences using various methods of communication.
- research skills in testing hypotheses relevant to pure and applied entomological research.
- skills in carrying out, designing, analysing and interpreting experiments or surveys.
- lessons in evaluating and interpreting data.
- skills in drawing relevant conclusions from existing entomological studies.
- lessons in a broad range of topics in entomology and conservation.
- fundamental skills needed in an entomological work environment.
- research skills in ecological entomology or insect conservation.
- lessons in focus on specialist subjects consistent with their interests and future career intentions.
- Proficiency in impact assessment and evaluation studies of agricultural development programs and technologies
- skills in market research, international development or areas of public policy related to agriculture and food production.
The average annual course fee in India ranges between INR 5,000 and 2 lacs, depending upon the institute offering the course.
The average annual salary offered in India to successful postgraduates of the course ranges between INR 2 and 12 lacs, depending upon the candidate’s expertise in the field.
Top Colleges for Master of Science [M.Sc] (Entomology)
- Master of Science [M.Sc] (Entomology) in Uttar Pradesh
- M.Sc in Delhi-NCR
- M.Sc in Maharashtra
- M.Sc in Chennai
- M.Sc in Uttar Pradesh
- M.Sc in Telangana
M.Sc. in Entomology: Course Highlights
Tabulated below are some of the major highlights of the course.
|Course Level||Post graduate|
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||Bachelor’s degree in the Science stream|
|Admission Process||Counselling after qualification of entrance examination|
|Top recruiting organizations||WHO, Bio-one, Somerville, etc.|
|Top recruiting areas||Defence services, forensic labs, healthcare and agriculture sectors, and such.|
|Top job profiles||Entomology Research Associate, Entomologist, Associate Professor, and suchlike.|
|Course Fee||INR 5,000 to 2 lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 2 to 12 lacs|
M.Sc. in Entomology: What is it About?
Entomology is the study of insects or arthropods in criminal investigation. From the early stages insects are attracted to the decomposing body and may lay eggs in it.
Learning the insect population and the developing larval stages, forensic scientists can estimate the post-mortem index, any change in position of the corpse as well as the cause of death.
Forensic Entomologists are:
- called upon frequently to collaborate in criminal investigations.
- are typically aware of the possibilities that forensic entomology has to offer.
- skilled at using the discipline as an adjunct to the conventional means of forensic investigation.
- able to communicate academic issues and solutions to peers and the public.
- aware on an advanced level of the economic policy landscape.
- equipped with the necessary professional tools to analyse and advise on international economics and development.
- proficient in industrial economics from a food policy perspective, both nationally and globally.
Top Institutes offering M.Sc. in Entomology
Some of the top institutes offering the course in the country with the corresponding locations and fees charged by the respective colleges are listed below.
|NAME OF INSTITUTE||CITY||AVERAGE ANNUAL FEES|
|Lovely Professional University||Jalandhar||INR 1,98,000|
|RIMT University||Punjab||INR 1,30,000|
|Dolphin PG Institute of Biomedical and Natural Sciences||Dehradun||INR 1,45,000|
|Suresh Gyan Vihar University||Jaipur||INR 1,56,000|
|Lovely Professional University||Jalandhar||INR 1,98,000|
|Sanskriti University||Mathura||INR 60,000|
|Uttaranchal College of Biomedical Sciences and Hospital||Dehradun||INR 1,20,000|
|BFIT Group of Institutions||Dehradun||INR 1,17,000|
|Amity University||Noida||INR 1,35,000|
|Banaras Hindu University ||Varanasi||INR 1,000|
|Maharishi Dayanand University||Rohtak||INR 20,274|
|Andhra University||Vishakhapatnam||INR 1,01,000|
|Uttaranchal University||Dehradun||INR 1,52,000|
|BU||Uttar Pradesh||INR 30,000|
|Alpine Group of Institutes||Dehradun||INR 60,000|
Eligibility for M.Sc. in Entomology
Candidates aspiring for admission to the course are required to fulfill the following minimum eligibility criteria.
- Graduation or another such equivalent course in a relevant discipline, completed from a recognized university.
- Graduation needs to have been completed in any of:
- Sc. (Zoology / Botany / Life Sciences / Medical Laboratory Technology / Microbiology / Biochemistry)
- V. Sc.
- E./ B.Tech. (Biotechnology)
- Tech. (Agricultural Biotechnology).
- A minimum aggregate score of 50% (45% for SC/ST/OBC candidates) at the level of graduation.
- Candidates in their final year of graduation can also apply for the course on provisional basis.
M.Sc. in Entomology: Admission Process
Most institutes offering the course admit students based on their performance in a relevant entrance test. Some institutes conduct their own entrance tests for offering admission. Admission process generally varies across colleges.
A few institutes also provide direct admission based on the candidate’s score at the graduation level.
Latest Master of Science [M.Sc] (Entomology) Admission Alert
- JNU MA, M.Sc, MCA & MBA Admission 2019: Courses, Application Form, Eligibility, Entrance Exam
- Telangana University (TU) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Time Table, Results
- Jamia Millia Islamia PG Admissions 2019: Course, Fees, Result, Login, Entrance Exams
- Sri Venkateswara University (SVU) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
- Sri Venkateswara Institute of Medical Sciences (SVIMS) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Merit List, Fees
- Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning (SSSIHL) MA and M.Sc Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Fees
M.Sc. in Entomology: Syllabus and Course Description
A semester - wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is tabulated below.
|Insect Morphology||Insect Ecology|
|Insect Systematic||Toxicology of Insecticides|
|Insect Anatomy, Physiology and Nutrition||Plant Resistance to Insects|
|Statistical Methods||Design of experiments|
|Integrated Insect Pest Management||Storage Pests and Their Management|
|Advanced Techniques of Plant Protection||Insect of Industrial Importance|
|Insect-Pests and Disease-vector Crops||Thesis|
M.Sc. in Entomology: Career Prospects
Professionals skilled in Entomology can find a variety of career options, such as:
- Pest Control Technician
- Law Enforcement Officer
- Forensic Entomologist.
Popular areas of employment include:
- Working with chemicals or repellents in pest management.
- As Consultants for agribusiness companies or the federal government.
- Insect-control in food, crops and seeds to protect and monitor the overall well-being of agricultural products.
- Evaluating interactions with, and influences within the environment.
Public Health Entomologists receive on-the-job training and must be State-licensed.
Diseases and infections are spread through non-human vectors, and public safety is as much an investigation of human habits as it is of animal habits. People who are fascinated by biology and the outdoors, but seek a stable employment position, are best suited for the discipline.
Some of the top professional avenues open to such postgraduates are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions.
AVERAGE ANNUAL SALARY
Entomologists study insects, both in the natural habitat and under controlled situations in the lab.
They observe life stages and migration patterns, and also look at the movement and habits of insects in the urban environment, including businesses and households.
Information that they discover is shared with health professionals in an effort to increase public safety and reduce the incidence of direct and indirect harm to the human population.
Entomology Research Associate
Forensic Entomologists make an accurate estimation for how long a person has been dead because different types of insects are attracted to different stages of decomposition. Life stages of eggs and young insects can also give important clues.
They must take certain environmental factors into account when examining bodies, season, ambient temperature, time of day, and the body's surroundings. These factors affect a body's rate of decomposition, and insect growth.
Market Development Manager
A Business Development Manager's main task is to facilitate the growth of the business for which they work. They work primarily with the sales and marketing departments.
The discipline’s experienced professional develop training plans to educate and motivate employees of a company to perform at their most profitable level. Some strategic planning for future development is a key part of the job description.
Business Managers are responsible for developing the pipeline of new businesses coming in to the company. They require a thorough knowledge of the marketplace, and of the company's competitors.
Technical Managers, also known as Computer and Information Systems (CIS) Managers, are at the forefront of technology in an organization.
They can work with other departmental managers to ensure that their team's technological developments align with the company's goals.
They typically must have a Bachelor's degree in a field related to computer technology. Some employers may accept candidates with an Associate's degree and similar work experience.
Business Development Associate
Business Development Specialists are outside-salesmen who work for companies selling products or services in an assigned territory.
They must have a valid driver's license, and the ability and willingness to travel are often job requirements because specialists may meet with clients in different geographic locations.
Such professionals typically have a few years of general sales experience as well as sales experience in the employer's particular field. Applicants with general sales experience and other work experience in the employer's field may be considered especially appealing.