PG Diploma in Yoga Therapy is a post graduation level diploma program in the domain of yoga sciences and practice with specialization in the therapeutic effect of yoga. One can pursue the course after completing his/her graduation or equivalent level education from a recognized board/institute in any stream followed up by a yoga instructor or bridge course. Institute and Colleges also offer the course to students who have done undergraduate diploma in the domain along with an instructor’s course in the domain of yoga.
Some of the popular institutes/colleges offering the diploma level course are:
- Swami Vivekananda Yoga Anusandhan
- Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya
- Dr. Ram Manohar Lohia Avadh University
- Guru Kashi University
- JS University
- Jain Vishva Bharati Institute
- Jiwaji University
- Madhya Pradesh Bhoj Open University
- MJP Rohilkhand University
The fee for the course varies from INR 10,000 to INR 2.1 Lacs across various colleges and universities across the country. The variation in the fee is based on the location and type of university that is private/deemed or government.
PG Diploma in Yoga Therapy course admissions is done on merit basis that is the percentage of marks obtained by the candidate in graduation or equivalent level. Colleges/Institutes offering the course demand a minimum of 50% marks (Relaxable for reserved category candidates) at graduation or equivalent level in order to accord admissions in the course. However, a select few colleges/institutes opt for a common entrance test based mechanism for admission.
As a PG level Diploma in the domain, the course aims at imparting therapeutic skills and knowledge of yoga as a discipline of cure to the students. The course structure through its theoretical and practical modules tries to achieve the inherent aim. Students can opt for skill and knowledge enhancement in the domain by going for internship and undertaking field training.
PG Diploma in Yoga Therapy pass out student can look for a variety of options in terms of their career. One can opt for a career in the domain/with firms such as Therapeutic center, Naturopathy center, Hotels, resorts, Government health establishment, Health clubs, etc.
PG Diploma in Yoga Therapy: Course Highlights
|Course Level|| PG Diploma/Certification|
|Duration of the Course||1year (1.5 to 2 Years in certain cases)|
|Examination Type||Semester/Final exams at the end of year|
|Eligibility||Graduation or equivalent pass out students with a minimum of 50% marks from any recognized university/institute and a Yoga instructor or bridge course.|
|Admission Process||Merit Based/ Entrance exam based (May also look at graduation percentage)|
|Course Fee||Between Rs.10,000 and Rs. 2.1 Lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||Rs.12,000 to 18,000|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Therapeutic center, Naturopathy center, Hotels, resorts, Government health establishment, Health clubs, etc.|
|Job Positions||Yoga Therapist, Naturopathy officer, an Ayurvedic doctor, Yoga Instructor, Yoga Teacher, Researcher, etc.|
PG Diploma in Yoga Therapy: What is it about?
Yoga in the Indian context is seen as a way of life rather than an exercise or practice for welfare and fitness. India being the land of origin of yoga has seen evaluation and expansion of the domain of yoga as a science and therapeutic tool. The ancient guru Patanjali penned down an excellent work on yoga as a science and practice which is still seen as the most authentic source for reference.
The fast-paced and irregular lifestyle has given a surge in the popularity of yoga in the modern times as yoga has shown its therapeutic credentials for many of the modern medical woes. As a medical science, it aims at curing the patients through the utilization and channelization of Ayurvedic principles and techniques.
As a post-graduation level diploma course, it comes as a skill enhancement vocational program for students in the domain. The course with its hands on practice approach enhances the vocational abilities of the student thus making them apt for practical challenges. Thus, at its core, the course is focused on nurturing yoga experts that are academically and technically sound to take on the challenges in practical domain.
PG Diploma in Yoga Therapy: Top Institutes
PG Diploma in Yoga Therapy is offered as a course by a good number of colleges/institutes across the country to candidates who have passed their graduation or equivalent examination from a recognized state/central/private/deemed university.
For your reference, we have tabled down a list of various colleges/universities that are offering this course in India.
|Swami Vivekananda Yoga Anusandhan||Bangalore||INR 55,000|
|Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya||Indore||INR 27, 611|
|Dr. Ram Manohar Lohia Avadh University||Faizabad||INR 7,300|
|Guru Kashi University||Bhatinda||INR 28,000|
|JS University||Faizabad||INR 10,500|
|Jain Vishva Bharati Institute||Nagaur||INR 8,600|
|Jiwaji University||Gwalior||INR 7,000|
|Madhya Pradesh Bhoj Open University||Bhopal||INR 11,500|
|MJP Rohilkhand University||Bareilly||INR 25,000|
PG Diploma in Yoga Therapy: Eligibility
Candidate must have passed the graduation or equivalent level examination with at least 50% (relaxable for reserved category candidates) of the marks from a recognized state/central/private/deemed university.
- The candidate must have done a Yoga Instructor or bridge course post-graduation.
- He/She shall not be having any backlog or compartment in any of the subject/subjects at graduation or equivalent level that is yet to be cleared at the time of taking admissions.
- Apart from the above-mentioned eligibility criteria’s various colleges/institutes may have their own additional criteria’s which the students would have to satisfy in order to take admission (Like work experience of certain years).
- In case of reserved category students, they would have to present their reservation certificates issued by the competent authorities in order to avail the benefits applicable to them.
- Certain Institutes give admissions through Common Entrance Test (CET). To get admission in these institutes candidates would have to qualify the respective entrance exam by securing minimum qualifying marks.
The eligibility criteria’s mentioned above are common to most of the universities and colleges across the country that are offering this course to the students.
PG Diploma in Yoga Therapy: Admission Process
Admissions to the course are based on a merit-based criterion for a selection with a select few institutes/colleges going for CET based admissions.
- Some Institutes/Colleges conduct a common entrance test for admission to the course hence students would have to make an application for such exams.
- Students have to qualify these exams (for which they should be eligible to appear) in order to get admission in the course.
- After the conduct of the test, a merit list of finally qualified candidates is prepared and candidates are invited for admission process by the respective institute or college.
- After final allotment of seats to the candidate takes the candidates are asked to deposit the fee for the course and register for the respective academic year.
However, in most of the colleges, the admission process would involve merit-based admission in the course.
PG Diploma in Yoga Therapy: Syllabus and Course description
The course is structured into a semester-wise system of examination spanning over a duration of one (1.5 to 2 years in certain cases) year. The syllabus of the course is designed in a manner so as to teach all the basic aspects of the course to the students in a gradual manner.
The details regarding the syllabus are tabled below for your reference.
|Subjects of Study|
|Basic of Yoga Therapy|
|Yoga therapy techniques|
|Spoken Sanskrit and English|
|Introduction to Psychology|
|Yoga therapy training|
PG Diploma in Yoga Therapy: Who Should Opt for?
- Students who have interest in the study of Yoga as a science.
- Those who have a career as a yoga instructor in mind.
- Those who are looking for a career in fitness and tourism industry.
- Those aiming at higher studies in the subject.
PG Diploma in Yoga Therapy: Career Prospects
PG Diploma in Yoga Therapy students have plenty of options to choose from in terms of their career. One can choose to work as Yoga Therapist, Naturopathy officer, an Ayurvedic doctor, Yoga Instructor, Yoga Teacher, Researcher, etc.
To provide you a holistic view of the career prospects of the course we have tabled certain areas and the respective roles attached to the same where PG diploma pass out students can look for in terms of their career.
|Area/Domain||Role||Average Salary for Fresher’s|
|Yoga Therapist||The job involves the application of yogi principles and techniques along with the practice of Ayurveda for therapeutic purpose.||INR 2.15-2.47 Lacs|
|Naturopathy administrator||The job involves the application of naturopathy base principles and techniques of folk medicine for treatment or refreshment of the body.||INR 1.80- 2.10 Lacs|
|Ayurvedic Doctor||An ayurvedic doctor is involved in the treatment and rehabilitation of human body by application of Ayurvedic techniques of treatment and referring natural modes of self-healing based on traditional practices.||INR 2.25 – 2.42 Lacs|
|Yoga Instructor||The job imparting performing skills in regards to yoga as a science for fitness and wellness.||INR 2.33-2.5 Lacs|
|Teacher/Tutor||The job involves the teaching of both theoretical and practical aspect of the subject to college/university level students.||INR 2.24- 2.56 Lacs|