B.Sc. Mathematics is an undergraduate academic degree awarded to those who successfully complete a program in mathematics and related disciplines, such as computer science or statistics. Minimum Eligibility for which is 10+2 from a recognized Board.
Top Colleges offering B.Sc. Mathematics degree are:
- Loyola College, Chennai
- Christ University, Bangalore
- Stella Maris College, Chennai
- Fergusson College, Pune
The average course fee in India ranges between INR 3,000 - 1,44,000 for the total duration.
B.Sc. Mathematics Syllabus focuses primarily on developing mathematical skills in algebra, calculus and data analysis. A Higher Secondary degree or equivalent is needed to pursue B.Sc. Maths. Upon graduating in this stream, one can pursue courses such as
- M.Sc. (Information Technology)
- M.Sc. (Mathematics).
The average annual salary offered to successful postgraduates in this field lies between INR 3 - 5 lacs.
Top Colleges for Bachelor of Science [B.Sc] (Mathematics)
- Bachelor of Science [B.Sc] (Mathematics) in Tamil Nadu
- Bachelor of Science [B.Sc] (Mathematics) in Uttar Pradesh
- Bachelor of Science [B.Sc] (Mathematics) in Kerala
- Bachelor of Science [B.Sc] (Mathematics) in Maharashtra
- Bachelor of Science [B.Sc] (Mathematics) in Karnataka
B.Sc. Mathematics: Course Highlights
Listed below are some of the major highlights of the course
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||10+2 from a recognized Board|
|Admission Process||Direct admission to colleges. However, some colleges may conduct entrance tests.|
|Course Fee||INR 3,000 - 1,44,000|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 3 - 5 lacs|
|Top Recruiting Fields/Areas||Research, Academia, Technical institutes, Software Development Companies, Banks, Political, Military or Intelligence Bodies etc.|
B.Sc. Mathematics: What is it About?
B.sc. Mathematics is the study of quantity, structure, space, and change. A Bachelor of Science degree in Mathematics is a culmination of in-depth knowledge of geometry, trigonometry, calculus and other theories. It also explores related topics like Computer Science and Statistics. This degree course helps students in building a good foundation base for pursuing higher studies.
B.Sc. Mathematics graduates can follow teaching profession by teaching in schools or opening their own coaching classes. B.Sc maths degree holders are also required in Banking and Business services, Government Jobs, Investment and Insurance among many other employment areas.
Graduates holding B.Sc. Math degree has various job opportunities and is provided by many Top B.Sc. Mathematics Colleges.
B.Sc. Mathematics course in India
B.Sc. Mathematics: Top Institutes
Listed below are some of the top institutes offering the course in the country with the corresponding locations of, and fees charged by each.
|Name||City||Average Fees in INR|
|Amity Institute of Applied Sciences||Noida||55,000|
|Madras Christian College, [MCC]||Chennai||60,569|
|Hindu College||New Delhi||17,298|
|Stella Maris College||Chennai||10,290|
|Mount Carmel College||Bangalore||1,44,000|
|Ethiraj College of Women||Chennai||9000|
|Sacred Heart College||Kochi||14,970|
|Kishinchand Chellaram College of Arts, Commerce & Science||Mumbai||12,660|
|MG Science Institute ||Ahmedabad||9,000|
|Guru Nanak College||Chennai||90,000|
|Justice Basheer Ahmed Sayeed Women's College||Chennai||1,11,000|
|Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda College||Chennai||3,9000|
|GN Khalsa College of Arts Science and Commerce, [GNKCASC]||Mumbai||37195|
|Kelkar Education Trust's VG Vaze College of Arts Science and Commerce||Mumbai||49746|
|MOP Vaishnav College||Chennai||40,500|
B.Sc. Mathematics: Eligibility
The minimum eligibility criterion needed to be met for pursuing B.Sc. in Mathematics is a 10+2 or equivalent qualification in Science or Commerce stream with a minimum score of 50% in Mathematics from a recognized educational Board.
Also, some reputed colleges or institutes might conduct entrance examinations for offering admission to the course.
B.Sc. Mathematics: Admission Process
For admission to the course, most institutes and universities in the country follow a merit-based admission process. Marks scored by applicants at the Higher Secondary level and/ or relevant entrance test are taken into consideration. Seats are accordingly allotted to deserving candidates.
Latest Bachelor of Science [B.Sc] (Mathematics) Admission Alert
- Jamia Millia Islamia UG Admissions 2019
- Sri Venkateswara Veterinary University (SVVU) BVSc & BFSc Admission 2019: Courses, Application Process, Dates, Fees
- Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning (SSSIHL) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Fees
- Rashtriya Sanskrit Vidyapeetha UG Admission 2019: Courses, Application Process, Eligibility
- Maulana Azad University (MANUU) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Results, Cut Off, Dates, Fees
- Koneru Lakshmaiah University (KLU) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Placement, Result, Fees
B.Sc. Mathematics: Syllabus and Course Description
A semester- wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is tabulated below
|Calculus||Analytical Solid Geometry|
|Probability & Statistics||Differential Equations|
|Abstract Algebra||Linear Algebra|
|Discrete Mathematics||Complex Analysis|
|Linear Programming & Its Applications||Numerical Analysis|
Check B.Sc. Mathematics Syllabus
B.Sc. Mathematics Subject Books
- Calculus- Single and Multivariable by Hughes and Hallet
- Contemporary Abstract Algebra by Joseph A. Gallian
- Basic Abstract Algebra by Bhattacharya
- Functional Analysis and Applications by S. Kesavan
- Calculus and Analytical Geometry by GB Thomas and RL Jinney
B.Sc. Mathematics: Who Should opt?
- Eligible candidates with relevant skills such as data analysis and interpretation, observation of patterns, deduction of conclusions, design, and execution of observational and related experimental studies, and proficiency in computer-related applications are ideally suited for the course.
- The other prerequisite is the ability to approach problems in an analytical and logical way to formulate theories and apply the same to solve problems.
- The student should be able to present mathematical arguments with accuracy and clarity, besides having the competency to solve advanced numerical problems and handle large quantities of data.
B.Sc. Mathematics: Career Prospects
Degree holders in Mathematics are respected for their excellent quantitative and problem- solving abilities and can get hold of a wide range of rewarding positions in both public and private sectors. Successful graduates of the course are employed in banking, finance, insurance, and risk-management, besides universities and scientific institutes.
Related B.Sc. Mathematics Course are:
- B.Sc. Economics
- B.Sc. Computer Science
- B.Sc. Applied Mathematics
Read more aboutB.Sc. Courses
Some of the popular avenues open to successful graduates of the course are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions.
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Salary in INR|
|Mathematician||Mathematicians expand knowledge in areas such as algebra and geometry using new rules, theories, and concepts. They apply mathematical theories and derivatives to solve practical problems arising in business, engineering, sciences, or other fields.||2-3 lacs|
|Data Analyst||Data Analysts translate numbers into plain English. Businesses collect data like sales figures, market research, logistics, or transportation costs. A Data Analyst would take that data and help companies make better business decisions||5-6 lacs|
|Numerical Analyst||Numerical Analysts apply their knowledge of math and numerical operations to solve monetary and risk management problems in a company.||4-5 lacs|
|Cryptanalyst||Cryptanalysts are usually mathematicians who create, setup and evaluate algorithms that are designed to solve number theory problems. Their main job is to encode messages to conceal data from outsiders.||2-4 lacs|