M.Sc. in Psychiatric Nursing is a 2-year postgraduate course that prepares students to become Psychiatric Health Nurses (PHNs). These are the nurses who diagnose and treat patients suffering from psychiatric disorders. Upon successful completion of the course, specialization can be pursued by postgraduates in subjects like Forensics, Substance Abuse, and Geropsychiatric Nursing.
The need for this course gradually rose owing to an increasing number of cases of mental health. The requirement of sound mental health is a fundamental aspect of quality of life. On an average, at least one person in four experiences mental health trouble in the course of their life.
Reports of reputed international organizations such as the World Health Organization and the European Union show studies as per which, most countries of the world are realizing the need to maintain a steady infrastructure and workforce to back up the increasing cases of mental troubles, by means of highly skilled and trained nursing staff to run such nursing centers efficiently.
The main objective of M.Sc. Psychiatric Nursing is to provide an education that would help build in candidates the requisite professional and ethical skills needed to work in mental health facilities.
The average course fee charged in India ranges between INR 5,000 and 1.5 lacs for the total duration. The average annual salary offered in India to successful postgraduates of the course varies between INR 3 and 6 lacs.
Top Colleges for Master of Science [M.Sc] (Psychiatric Nursing)
- Master of Science [M.Sc] (Psychiatric Nursing) in Karnataka
- Master of Science [M.Sc] (Psychiatric Nursing) in Tamil Nadu
- Master of Science [M.Sc] (Psychiatric Nursing) in Maharashtra
- M.Sc (Nursing) in Delhi-NCR
- M.Sc (Nursing) in Maharashtra
- M.Sc (Nursing) in Chennai
M.Sc. in Psychiatric Nursing: Course Highlights
Listed below are some of the major highlights of the course
|Examination Type||Yearly System|
|Eligibility||Graduation from a recognized university|
|Admission Process||Direct admission to colleges. Entrance test in some cases.|
|Course Fee||INR 5,000 - 1.5 lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 3 - 6 lacs|
|Top Recruiting Fields/Areas||Hospitals, NHS trusts, nursing agencies, community and health centers, charities and voluntary organizations, schools, private healthcare organizations, GP practices, residential homes, and such.|
|Job Titles||Nurse Educator, Nurse, and similar capacities.|
M.Sc. in Psychiatric Nursing: What is it About?
M.Sc. in Psychiatric Nursing aims to shape eligible candidates’ clinical, managerial, and educational qualifications towards efficient operation in the field. The course’s curriculum integrates Life Science with Health Science, aimed at equipping students with adequate preparation to professionally care for, and treat patients.
Students enrolled to the course are also taught in terms of the appropriate ethical conduct needed to communicate with patients. They are also taught to prevent spread of diseases, to carry out correct diagnoses, and to perform treatment of basic mental illnesses. Students are encouraged to make important decisions in patient care and provide professional emotional care and support to patients.
Successful postgraduates of the course interested in pursuing higher studies in the discipline may go for doctorate programs in the subject. Those interested in pursuing the discipline professionally may work as Registered Nurses across leading hospitals and medical centers.
Employment opportunities upon completion of the course also depend on the institute of post-graduation, the candidate’s geographic location, and whether the course was pursued via regular, private, or distance-based education.
M.Sc. in Psychiatric Nursing: Who should opt?
The ideal skills required in students of M.Sc. in Psychiatric Nursing are:
- Compassion: The candidate must have an aptitude for caring for the sick and injured, and empathy for patients to make their stay at the hospital comfortable.
- Communication: Nurses are needed to be will patients’ advocates and the link between patients and the hospital staff. They would be needed to speak effectively and listen attentively.
- Ethics: nurses would ideally have a commitment to humanitarian service and to maintaining the dignity of patients.
- Critical Thinking: Nurses often face career-related challenges, needing include critical thinking for making important choices on everyday basis and arriving at decisions quickly.
- Attention to Detail: Candidates must have a hawk's eye to view and monitor the graph of the patient's illness and recovery. Strict attention to detail is a pre-requisite to be a successful nurse.
- Confidence: The field of nursing is a competitive and challenging one. The aspirants must be confident about their skills and capabilities. They should be self-dependent and make use of their skills and knowledge in a judicious manner.
- Adaptability: Like that of doctors, the work of nurses is time-consuming with fluctuating schedules. It also requires tirelessness and precision.
- Stamina: In the span of a nurse’s career, physical, mental and emotional strengths are tested. They need to be high on spirits and energy for caring for mental patients.
Top Institutes offering M.Sc. in Psychiatric Nursing
Listed below are some of the top institutes offering the course in the country with the corresponding locations and fees charged by each.
|Name of Institute||City||Average Fees per annum in INR|
|West Bengal University of Health Sciences||Kolkata||1,00,000|
|Saveetha University||Chennai||1.05 lacs|
|The Tamilnadu Dr MGR University||Chennai||6,000|
|Aditya College of Nursing||Bangalore||1 lakh|
|SCS College of Nursing Sciences||Mangalore||1.44 lacs|
|Aruna College of nursing||Tumkur||1.2 lacs|
|Bharti University||Chennai||1 lakh|
Eligibility for M.Sc. in Psychiatric Nursing
Candidates wishing to pursue the course are required to fulfil the below-mentioned minimum eligibility criteria.
- A bachelor’s degree in nursing or equivalent discipline
- A Registered Nurse (RN) license in most cases.
- A minimum aggregate score of 50% at the level of graduation.
M.Sc. in Psychiatric Nursing: Admission Process
Admission to the course is based on the candidate’s performance in a relevant entrance exam. Students qualifying the exam with the set minimum eligible cut-off score are invited for the subsequent round of counselling, based on which, the final selection is made.
The counselling process (if involved) consists of rounds of Group Discussion and Personal Interview, wherein the candidate’s general aptitude for the course is examined, and a merit list is made, allotting seats to the qualifying candidates.
Some institutes in India also provide admission to eligible candidates based on their obtained merit at the level of graduation.
Some of the top entrance exams held in the country for admission to the course are:
- Pravara Institute PIMS M.Sc. Nursing and MPT Admission Test: Pravara Institute of Medical Sciences All India Common Entrance Test.
- PIMS AICET ASUG Entrance Exam for B.Sc. and BPT Admission: Pravara Institute of Medical Sciences conducts All India Common Entrance Test AICET for both undergraduate and postgraduate courses in nursing.
- NIMHANS Nursing Admission Test: This test is conducted by the National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences, Bengaluru.
- ILBS New Delhi M.Sc. Nursing Entrance Exam: Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences, New Delhi, takes this admission test for students aspiring to pursue the course.
- JIPMER B.Sc. Nursing Entrance Exam: This test is conducted by the Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research, Puducherry, also for courses such as B.Sc. Nursing, BASLP & B.Sc. Allied Medical Science.
- DY Patil University All India PG Nursing Entrance Test - AIPGNET: All India Post Graduate Nursing Entrance Test (AIPGNET) is a nationwide entrance test conducted for admission to the program.
- KGMU B.Sc. Nursing Entrance Exam: King George Medical University (KGMU) conducts this test for eligible candidates aspiring for the course.
- JIPMER M.Sc. Nursing, MPH, PhD Entrance Exam: Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER) holds this test for admission to M.Sc. in Nursing, Post Basic Diploma in Nursing, M.Sc. in Applied Medical Sciences, Master of Public Health (MPH), and an array of Ph.D. courses.
- TMC Mumbai M.Sc. in Nursing Entrance Test: The reputed Tata Memorial Centre (TMC), Mumbai, conducts this test for M.Sc. in Nursing.
- Bharati Vidyapeeth Deemed University BVDU PB BSc Nursing CET: Bharati Vidyapeeth University conducts a common entrance test for admission to the program in the Bharati Vidyapeeth University College of Nursing, Pune, and Bharati Vidyapeeth University College of Nursing, Sangli.
Latest Master of Science [M.Sc] (Psychiatric Nursing) Admission Alert
- Sri Venkateswara Institute of Medical Sciences (SVIMS) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Merit List, Fees
- Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham PG Medical, Dental and Pharmacy Admission 2019
- Yenepoya University Nursing Admissions 2019
- DY Patil University Mumbai Nursing Admissions 2019
- Sri Balaji Vidyapeeth University MBBS and BDS Admissions 2019
- Vinayaka Mission University PG Admission 2019
M.Sc. in Psychiatric Nursing: Syllabus and Course Description
A semester-wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is tabulated below
|Nursing Education||Nursing Management|
|Advanced Nursing Practice||Nursing Research (Dissertation)|
|Nursing Research and Statistics||Clinical Specialty|
|Clinical Specialty I - Psychiatric Nursing||Medical Surgical Nursing|
M.Sc. in Psychiatric Nursing: Career Prospects
Psychiatric nurses treat and care for patients suffering from mental and emotional disabilities. They can also be personal nurses and attend specific patient, to provide care, and help them execute their daily tasks. Such patients are weak and need special support to be attended to, at all times.
Such postgraduates can also professionally pursue jo positions such as Nurse Head/ Educator/ Manager, or with increase in experience, Rural Health Family Nurse, who is generally appointed by the State or central government hospitals. They may also become Health Nurse Practitioners or Nursing Administrators.
Job areas for such postgraduates include general or specialized care units, health care centers, maternity homes, public or private hospitals, medical clinics, schools and colleges, home-based care providers.
Some of the popular professional avenues open to postgraduates of M.Sc. in Psychiatric Nursing are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions.
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Salary in INR|
|Nurse||Nurses provide and coordinate patient care. They educate patients about various health conditions and also provide advice and emotional support. Major job duties of nurses include monitoring, recording, and reporting symptoms or changes in patients' conditions.||3-5 lacs|
|Nurse Educator||A Nurse Educator teaches aspiring nurses on patient care. They are in charge of developing curricula and teaching nursing subjects using lectures or lab/clinical work. They also act as educators, mentors, or advisors||4-6 lacs|