M.Sc. in Textile Design is a 3-year postgraduate course, the minimum eligibility for pursuance of which is graduation in a relevant discipline completed from a recognized university, with a minimum aggregate score of 55%, and preferably, a 1-year experience.
The average tuition fee charged in India for the course ranges between INR 20,000 and 2 Lacs for the span of 3 years.
Admissions to the course is based on a round of counselling following the candidate’s qualification of a relevant entrance test, depending upon the institute offering the course.
Such postgraduates are hired in the industry in capacities such as:
- Production Development Manager
- Retail Manager
- Apparel Designer
- Visual Merchandiser
- Technical Designer
- Fashion Writer and Editor
- Quality Control Specialist
- Fashion Buyer
- Fashion Consultant
- Apparel Sales Representative
- Technical Designer
- Museum Collection Manager
- Theatrical Costuming Operations Manager
- Product Developer
- Textile Research Scientist, etc.
|TOP M.SC IN Textile Science Colleges In Karnataka||TOP M.SC IN Textile Science Colleges In Maharashtra||TOP M.SC IN Textile Science Colleges In Rajasthan||TOP M.SC IN Textile Science Colleges In Chandigarh|
Popular areas of employment for such postgraduates include:
- Medical Textiles
- Civil Engineering Materials
- Transport Engineering Materials
- Sport and Performance-Based Clothing.
The average annual salary offered to such postgraduates in India ranges between INR 2 and 10 Lacs, depending on the candidate’s experience and skillset.
Top Colleges for Master of Science [M.Sc] (Textile Design)
- M.Sc in Delhi-NCR
- M.Sc in Maharashtra
- M.Sc in Chennai
- M.Sc in Uttar Pradesh
- M.Sc in Telangana
M.Sc. in Textile Design: Course Highlights
Listed below are some of the major highlights of the course.
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||B.Sc. in Textile Science & Apparel Design, with a minimum aggregate score of 55%, and a 1-year experience|
|Admission Process||Merit-based/ Based on counselling after qualification of entrance test.|
|Course Fee||INR 20,000 to 2 Lacs for 3 years|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 2 to 10 lacs per annum|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Medical textiles, geotextiles and civil engineering materials, aerospace and transport engineering materials, and sport and performance clothing, etc.|
|Job Positions||Production Development Manager, Retail Manager, Apparel Designer, Visual Merchandiser, Technical Designer, Fashion Writer and Editor, Quality Control Specialist, Fashion Buyer, Fashion Consultant, Apparel Sales Representative, Technical Designer Patternmaker, Museum Collection Management, Theatrical Costuming Operations Manager, Product Developer, Textile Research Scientist, etc.|
M.Sc. in Textile Design: What is it About?
Textiles and clothing is as old as human civilization. Men started covering their body for functional use, and over the years it emerged as an urge for enhancing individual identity.
The course, and the constant development and evolution of textile as fashion is essentially founded on:
- need for enhancement of personality through clothing.
- textile industry’s expansion from clothing to furnishing, linen, garment, and industrial clothing.
- industrial revolution after the world war, resulting in a mass production of textiles.
- apparel design being beyond fashion, dealing not merely with ramp-walk- based garments but consciously dealing with functional clothing, from space suits to army and other uniforms.
- emerging corporate dress codes, adding to high-end apparel demand.
The course involves the following major components of study:
- History of Apparel & Textile
- History of industrialization
- Woven and non-woven fabric and techniques
- Printing and dyeing techniques & surface development
- Textile science and technology – fiber to fabric
- Fashion illustration & design – A means to express visual concept
- Fabric draping & silhouettes manipulation
- Garment construction & manufacturing
- Pattern making & grading.
- Design communication
- Design education
- Design management
- Digital design
- Emotional aspects of design and consumer behavior
- Fashion design
- Fashion retailing
- Global operations management
- International supply chain management
- Textile design
The courses stress on:
- creative exploration
- processes of design involved in all stages from concept to prototype-development.
- stages of further explorations and refinement.
- fundamentals and intricacies of textile design.
- several interdisciplinary projects of designing textiles for Public Spaces/ Exhibition/ interiors, and for the automobile industry.
Top Institutes offering M.Sc. in Textile Design
Listed below are some of the top institutes offering the course in the country with the corresponding locations and fees charged by each.
|Name of Institute||City|| Average Fees|
|Aditya College of Design Studies||Mumbai||INR 1,76,000 (Course)|
|LPU||Punjab||INR 1,19,000 (Course)|
|Chandigarh University||Chandigarh||INR 85,000 (Course)|
|Pearl Academy||Noida||INR 2,17,000 (Course)|
|Footwear Design and Development Institute||Noida||INR 20,000 (Course)|
|YMCA Institute for Office Management||Delhi||INR 60,432 (Course)|
|Amity University Jaipur||Jaipur||INR 100,000 (Course)|
|Amity University Mumbai||Mumbai||INR 1.18 Lacs (Course)|
|Amity University Lucknow||Lucknow||INR 1.58 Lacs (Course)|
|CT University||Punjab||INR 69,000 (Course)|
|Institute of Home Economics||Delhi||INR 26,000 (Course)|
|Apeejay Stya University||Gurgaon||INR 1.55 Lacs (Course)|
|T. John College||Bangalore||INR 72,350 (Course)|
|Jamal Mohamed College||Tiruchirappalli||INR 27,000 (Course)|
|Symbiosis Institute of Design||Pune||INR 35,000 (Course)|
|J. D. Birla Institute||Kolkata||INR 38,000 (Course)|
|APG Shimla University||Shimla||INR 90,000 (Course)|
|Amity University Manesar||Gurgaon||INR 1,26,000 (Course)|
|Unitedworld Institute of Design||Gandhinagar||INR 3,50,000 (Course)|
|Babu Banarasi Das National Institute of Technology & Management||Lucknow||INR 75,000 (Course)|
Eligibility for M.Sc. in Textile Design
Candidates aspiring for admission to the course are required to fulfill the following minimum eligibility criteria.
- Graduation needs to have been completed in any of:
B.Sc. Textile Science & Apparel Design
B.Sc. Apparel Design
B.Sc. Textiles & Clothing
B.Sc. Fashion Design
B.Sc. Fashion Apparel Design
B.Sc. Composite (Home Science)
- A minimum aggregate score of 55% (50% for SC/ST/OBC candidates) at the level of graduation.
- Any of the following studied as main subjects at the level of graduation:
- Fundamentals of Fabric and Apparel Science
- Fabric Science
- Indian Textile Heritage
- Apparel Construction
- Applied Textile Design
- Dyeing and Printing
- Design Concepts
- Fashion Design Development
- Fashion Studies.
- Candidates in their final year of graduation can also apply for the course on provisional basis.
M.Sc. in Textile Design: Admission Process
Some colleges also offer admission on the basis of obtained merit at the level of graduation. However, generally, in most of the colleges and institutes offering the course, admission is provided based on the candidate’s performance in a relevant entrance test, conducted at any of State and national levels, followed by a subsequent round of counselling.
The round of counselling involves two additional rounds of Group Discussion and Personal Interview, wherein candidate’s general aptitude for the course is examined. A merit list is subsequently released issued by the institute allocating available seats to the qualifying candidates.
Some such entrance exams held in the country for admission to the course are:
- Manipal University Online Entrance Test (MU-OET)
- JIPMER Entrance Exam.
Latest Master of Science [M.Sc] (Textile Design) Admission Alert
- JNU MA, M.Sc, MCA & MBA Admission 2019: Courses, Application Form, Eligibility, Entrance Exam
- Telangana University (TU) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Time Table, Results
- Jamia Millia Islamia PG Admissions 2019: Course, Fees, Result, Login, Entrance Exams
- Sri Venkateswara University (SVU) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
- Sri Venkateswara Institute of Medical Sciences (SVIMS) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Merit List, Fees
- Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning (SSSIHL) MA and M.Sc Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Fees
M.Sc. in Textile Design: Syllabus and Course Description
A semester-wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is tabulated here.
|Research Methods & Statistics I||Research Methods & Statistics II|
|Quality Control for Textiles & Apparel Fabrics||Woven Fabric Structures &|
|Textile Chemistry and Processing of Textiles||Fabric Analysis|
|Advanced Garment Design &||History of Fashion & Fashion Design|
|Construction Techniques||Technical Textiles|
|Knitting Technology & Knitwear Design.||Research Application in Textiles & Clothing.|
|Garment Production Technology||Draping|
|Dissertation or Project||Fashion Marketing, Retailing & Merchandising.|
|-||Dissertation or Project.|
M.Sc. in Textile Design: Career Prospects
The course involves:
- workshop and industry-based experience.
- 6-month industry-sponsored research design project.
- training in prints, dye techniques and weaves.
Such Textile Designers are lucratively employed in:
- textile mills
- export houses
- with fashion designers
- design studios
- handloom cooperatives
- buying agencies etc.
- fabric management.
- design entrepreneurship
- design-based technical consultancies
- education and training
- academic research in technical textiles
- product-development technology in specialist fields such as:
The program equips students with skills in employing creativity and originality, in design application in apparel and home fashion industries.
Some of the popular professional avenues open to successful postgraduates of the course are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions.
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Pay Scale in INR|
|Textile Designers||Textile Designers make decisions concerning the fibers, colors, and patterns used to make fabrics for clothing, furniture, and home wares. Appearance and function are both considerations for Textile Designers. Several undergraduate and graduate degree programs can prepare candidates for this career field, including Textile Design, Textile Design Technologies, and Textiles Management.||4,12,032|
|Fashion or Clothing Designer||Clothing Designers in the fashion industry create and assist in the production of men's, women's and children's apparel. They can be employed by design firms, retailers, performing arts companies, or wholesalers. Frequent travel and long hours may be required. Creativity and talent as evidenced by a strong portfolio carry more weight with a potential employer than a formal education, but many designers enter the industry with an associate's or a Bachelor's degree in a related major.||8,78,705|
|Retail Buyer||Fashion Industry Retail Buyers select and purchase clothing that will be sold in stores to consumers. Those who are employed by large companies usually specialize in men's, women's or children's apparel, while buyers who work for smaller stores may choose and buy the entire inventory. Although it's possible to enter the industry with only a high school diploma, larger companies prefer buyers with a Bachelor's degree in business or Applied Science.||1,066,071|
|Fiber Artist||Fiber Artists create crafts, quilts, wearable clothing, and fine textile art from natural and synthetic fibers and fabrics. Their work can be woven, sewn, knitted, crocheted, or assembled in some similar fashion. A formal education is helpful but not necessary, and Fiber Artists can acquire the technical skills they need by taking individual classes, working with a mentor, or enrolling in an associate's, Bachelor's or Master's degree program at a college, university, or independent art school.||3,92,705|