BA in Marathi is a 3-year undergraduate course in Marathi language and literature.
The language-specific academic program covers a range of subjects based in Marathi, such as:
BA in Marathi is offered by many major universities in the country. The program can also be pursued via the distance mode of education. The course is not specialization-specific, allowing students the opportunity to study the discipline in a flexible way.
|Bachelor of Arts in Maharashtra||Bachelor of Arts in Karnataka||Bachelor of Arts in Goa||Bachelor of Arts in Gujarat|
The program also focuses on developing candidates’ analytical, research, and communication skills.
The course can be pursued after successful completion of the 10+2 level of education in any stream from a recognized educational Board.
The average course fee charge in India ranges between INR 30,000 - 5 lacs for the total duration.
The average annual salary offered to successful graduates of the course ranges between INR 3 and 10 lacs per annum.
BA in Marathi: Course Highlights
Tabulated below are some of the major highlights of the course.
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||10+2 from a recognized university|
|Admission Process||Direct admission to colleges. Entrance test in some cases.|
|Course Fee||INR 2,000 - 8,000|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 2 - 5 lacs|
|Top Recruiting Organizations'||Zee Marathi, Etv Marathi, Marathi cinema, Schools, Colleges, Newspapers, magazines, etc.|
|Top Recruiting Areas'||Banks, Business Houses, Consultancies, Educational Institutes, Fire Department, Economic Development, Export Companies, Foreign Affairs, Field Research Firms, Financial Organizations, Industrial Houses, Law Firms, Lobbying Firms, Management, Marketing Research Firms, Municipal Planning, Multinational Companies, News Media, Public Works, Publishing Firms, Political Organizations, Police, Tourism, and such.|
|Top Job Profiles||Multimedia Reporter, Marathi Translator and Interpreter, Marathi Teacher, Marathi Linguist, among others.|
Top Colleges for Bachelor of Arts [BA] (Marathi)
- Bachelor of Arts [BA] (Marathi) in Maharashtra
- Bachelor of Arts [BA] (Marathi) in Karnataka
- BA in Delhi-NCR
- BA in Maharashtra
- BA in Chennai
- BA in Uttar Pradesh
BA in Marathi: What is it About?
Marathi is an age-old Indian language spoken predominantly in Maharashtra, a western State of India. Marathi is:
- the official language of Maharashtra, and the co-official language of Goa.
- one of the 22 scheduled languages of India.
- spoken across over 73 million speakers in the country.
- ranked 19th in the list of the most widely spoken languages of the world.
- over 2,000 years old in the country.
- The co-official language of a number of Union Territories in India, namely Daman and Diu and Dadra and Nagar Haveli.
- is included among the Indian languages listed under the Eighth Schedule of the Constitution of India, thus getting the status of a ‘Scheduled Language’ or SL.
BA in Marathi: Who should opt?
Candidates aspiring to purse the course would ideally possess:
- Critical thinking and creative mind
- Inquisitiveness towards the culture behind the language
- Interpersonal skills
- Aptitude for integration and application of knowledge
- Observational and investigative skills
- Professional values & ethics
- Understanding of relationships, interactions, and patterns.
Top Institutes offering BA in Marathi
Listed below are some of the top institutes offering the course in the country with the corresponding locations and fees charged by each.
|Name of Institute||City||Average Fees per annum in INR|
|SIES College of Arts, Science and Commerce||Mumbai||1,560|
|KV Pendharkar College of Arts, Science and Commerce||Thane||16,000|
|Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar College of Arts, Commerce and Science||Chandrapur||3,200|
|Abasaheb Marathe Arts and New Commerce Science College||Ratnagiri||1,400|
|Vikas College of Arts, Science and Commerce||Mumbai||3,500|
|Abhay Yuva Kalyan Kendra Sanchalit College of Education||Dhule||8,000|
|LS Raheja College of Arts and Commerce||Mumbai||5,500|
|Hutatma Rajguru Mahavidyalaya||Pune||7,000|
|Chhotabhai Jhaverbhai Patel Arts and Commerce College||Gondia||2,300|
|AR Burla Mahila Varishtha Mahavidyalaya||Solapur||35,000|
|Gokhale Education Society's HPT Arts and RYK Science College||Nasik||12,000|
|BD Kale Mahavidyalaya||Pune||1,300|
|Anjum Arts and Commerce College||Belgaum||4,500|
|Dhanaji Nana Mahavidyalaya||Jalgaon||1,700|
Eligibility for BA in Marathi
Listed below are the minimum criteria which candidates interested in pursuing the course are required to fulfil, in order to be eligible to apply for the course.
- 10+2 education completed in any stream from a recognized educational Board.
- A minimum aggregate score of 50% (45% for SC/ST/OBC candidates) at the 10+2 level.
- Basic proficiency in Marathi.
|Bachelor of Arts in Uttar Pradesh||Bachelor of Arts in Rajasthan||Bachelor of Arts in West Bengal||Bachelor of Arts in Telangana|
BA in Marathi: Admission Process
Most institutes offering the course admit students based on performance in a relevant entrance test. Admission process generally varies across colleges.
A few institutes also provide direct admission based on the candidate’s performance at the 10+2 level.
Latest Bachelor of Arts [BA] (Marathi) Admission Alert
- JNU BA (Hons) Admission 2019
- Jamia Millia Islamia UG Admissions 2019
- Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning (SSSIHL) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Fees
- Rashtriya Sanskrit Vidyapeetha UG Admission 2019: Courses, Application Process, Eligibility
- Maulana Azad University (MANUU) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Results, Cut Off, Dates, Fees
- Kakatiya University (KU) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Time Table, Results
BA in Marathi: Syllabus and Course Description
A year-wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is tabulated below.
|Year 1||Year 2||Year 3|
|Compulsory English/ Hindi||English||Hindi|
|Economics||Political Science||Political Science|
BA in Marathi: Career Prospects
Interested graduates of the course may go for pursuing further studies in Marathi, such as MA, M.Phil., or Ph.D. programs. They can find gainful career opportunities in areas such as:
- print media
- cinematography, etc.
- Marathi-based BPOs, KPOs and other corporate firms.
Such graduates are hired in capacities such as:
- Personnel manager
- Relation Executive
- Political scientist
- Social activist
- Journalist, etc.
Many government and semi-government organizations run in the country, working for the regulation, promotion, and enrichment of the Marathi language. These organizations are either initiated or funded by the government of Maharashtra, and offer gainful career opportunities for such graduates.
Some of the popular Marathi organizations are listed below:
- Akhil Bharatiya keertan sanstha, Dadar, Mumbai
- Akhil Bharatiya Marathi Natya Parishad
- Akhil Bharatiya Marathi Sahitya Mahamandal (Central confederation of all Marathi organisations)
- Maharashtra Sahitya Parishad, Pune
- Marathi Kavita
Marathi Vishwakosh - Marathi encyclopaedia project
- Marathwada Sahitya Parishad, Aurangabad
- Mumbai Marathi Sahitya Sangh
- Rajya Marathi Vikas Sanstha
- Shodh Marathi Cha
- Vidarbha Sahitya Sangh, Nagpur
- Akhil Bharatiya Marathi Mandal, Jabalpur
- Andhra Pradesh Marathi Sahitya Parishad, Hyderabad
- Marathi Granth Sangrahalay, Hyderabad
- Vivek Vardhini Shikshan Sanstha, Hyderabad
- Maharashtra Mandal, Hyderabad
- Vedic Dharma Prakashika High School, Hyderabad
- Gomantak Marathi Academy, Goa
- Gomantak Sahitya Sevak mandal, Panaji, Goa
- Madhya Pradesh Sahitya Parishad, Jabalpur
- Marathi Sahitya Parishad, Karnataka
- Karnataka Sahitya Parishad, Gulbarga
- Chhattisgarh Marathi Sahitya Parishad, Bilaspur, Chhattisgarh.
Some of the popular professional avenues open to such graduates are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions.
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Salary in INR|
|Computer Operator||Computer Operators oversee maintenance and operation of computer hardware systems. They control the console of mainframe digital computers or sets of minicomputers. They perform maintenance tasks such as checking for viruses, backing up tape, upgrading software, and other basic maintenance.||1-3 lacs|
|Accountant||The job of an Accountant is to prepare asset, liability, and capital account entries. They compile and analyze account information thorough account checking and monitoring. They report financial transactions to subordinates and management staff. Also, they recommend financial actions by analyzing accounting options.||2-5 lacs|
|News Anchor||A TV news anchor presents a news in the studio and gives a visual medium to spread the news and happenings around the globe. They have an important role to play as they can turn a day's variety of news stories into a cohesive TV program.||2-5 lacs|