B.E. Information Science and Engineering is an Under Graduate course with a specialization in the field of computer science and Information Technology related aspects. The course is of four years duration with each year comprising of two semesters each. The minimum eligibility criterion which most of the institutes ask for is a score of at least 55% (relaxable for reserved category candidates) at 10+2 or equivalent level.
Some of the popular colleges offering the course are:
- Acharya Institute of Technology
- National Institute of Technology
- Delhi Technological University
- Indian Institute of Technology
- Amity University
The fee for the course varies between INR 75,000 to INR 4, 50,000 in India. The variation in fee is based on the location and nature of university (that is government, state/private/deemed etc.).
Admission process for BE in Information Science and Engineering course involves Common Entrance Test (CET) based selection method as well as merit-based selection criteria that is the percentage of marks obtained by the candidate at 10+2 or equivalent level. Colleges/Universities offering admissions through CET mechanism rely on the score of All India level common entrance exams like JEE Main, JEE Advanced, UPSEE etc while some of them go for a separate entrance exam of their own (like BITSAT, LPUNEST etc).
The course is an engineering specialization in the domain of Informational Science and Engineering. The motive of the course is to provide students sufficient knowledge and skills that would be required to channelize their learning in a practical sense when they enter the job market.
Information Science Engineers have a wide range of opportunities to choose from in terms of job opportunities such as Software engineer, IT Manager, Software Tester, Application developer, Web designer etc. After completion of graduation, one may pursue further studies like M.E. and M.Phil in the said subject or may take up job opportunities associated. The average salary ranges between Rs.14000 to 18000 a month for a fresh graduate in the discipline.
Top Colleges for Bachelor of Engineering [BE] (Information Science & Engineering)
- Bachelor of Engineering [BE] (Information Science & Engineering) in Karnataka
- BE/B.Tech in Delhi-NCR
- BE/B.Tech in Maharashtra
- BE/B.Tech in Chennai
- BE/B.Tech in Uttar Pradesh
- BE/B.Tech in Telangana
B.E. Information Science and Engineering: Course Highlights
|Course Level||Under Graduate|
|Duration of the Course||4 years|
|Eligibility||Minimum score of 55% (Relaxable for reserved category students) marks at 10+2 or equivalent level.|
|Admission Process||Entrance exam based/Merit-based|
|Course Fee||Between INR 75,000 to 4.5 Lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 14,000 to 18,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||TCS, Oracle, Mphasis, HCL, Hexaware, Syntel, Capgemini|
|Job Position||Software engineer, IT Manager, Software Tester, Application developer, Web designer|
B.E. Information Science and Engineering: What is it about?
Information Technology and Information science are the two major skill sets that are driving the growth of IT industry today. India’s IT industry is known worldwide for its work efficiency and cost-effectiveness. Thriving of this industry has contributed heavily to the service sector’s growth in economic terms.
The reason behind this success is the presence of a qualified and trained manpower which is capable of providing solutions effectively and in a sustainable manner. As the business in IT sector is expanding the industry requires more and more personnel to maintain the growth trajectory.
A bachelor’s level course in Information Science and engineering is aimed at transforming college students in the domain to qualified professionals who are capable of meeting the demands of the industry both technically and academically.
B.E. Information Science and Engineering: Top Institutes
Bachelor’s course in Information Science and Engineering is offered by many reputed colleges and universities across the country. Colleges are offering this course to candidates who have passed their 10+2 or equivalent level examination from a recognized state or central board.
Students can take admission either through a Common Entrance Test conducted by certain exam conducting authorities such as IITs, NITs, as well as separate exams conducted by respective colleges/Universities (such as BITSAT) that are offering this course.
For your reference, we have tabled down a list of various colleges/universities that are offering this course in India.
|Acharya Institute of Technology||Bangalore||INR 90,850|
|National Institute of Technology||Warangal||INR 75,000|
|Delhi Technological University||Delhi||INR 1,60,095|
|Indian Institute of Technology||Mumbai||INR 65,500|
|AMC Engineering College||Bangalore||INR 103,750|
|APS College of Engineering||Bangalore||INR 35,000|
|Bangalore College of Engineering and Technology||Bangalore||INR 47,045|
|Atria Institute of Technology||Bangalore||INR 55, 000|
|Amity University||Noida||INR 1,20,000|
B.E. Information Science and Engineering: Eligibility
Candidate must have passed the 10+2 or equivalent examination from a recognized state or central board with at least 55% (relaxable for reserved category candidates) of the marks with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as the major subjects of study.
- He/She shall not be having any supplementary or compartment in any of the subject/subjects at 10+2 or equivalent level that is yet to be cleared at the time of taking admissions.
- Apart from the above-mentioned eligibility criteria’s various colleges and institutes may have their own additional criteria’s which the students would have to satisfy in order to take admission.
- In case of reserved category students, they would have to present their reservation certificates issued by the competent authorities in order to avail the benefits applicable to them.
- Most of the Institute give admissions through Common Entrance Test (CET) (like JEE Main, UPSEE). To get admissions in these institutes candidates would have to qualify the respective entrance exam by securing minimum qualifying marks.
The eligibility criteria’s mentioned above are common to most of the universities and colleges across the country that are offering this course to the students.
B.E. Information Science and Engineering: Admission Process
BE (Information Science and Engineering) course admission procedure involves a common entrance test based admission process (as seen across various Universities and colleges in the country) as well as a merit-based selection process (in select few institutes/colleges).
- Most of the Universities/Colleges conduct a common entrance test for admission into B.E courses (like BITSAT) or take admissions through commonly held entrance exam like JEE Main, UPSEE, JEE Advanced. Hence students would have to make an application for such exams.
- Students have to qualify these exams (for which they should be eligible to appear) in order to get admission in the course.
- After the conduct of the test, a merit list of finally qualified candidates is prepared and candidates are invited for counseling by the respective university or college.
- After counseling final allotment of seats to the candidate takes place and the candidate is asked to deposit the fee for the course and register for the respective academic year.
Admission process would more or less be same across all the colleges and universities that are offering this course.
Latest Bachelor of Engineering [BE] (Information Science & Engineering) Admission Alert
- Andhra University Integrated B.Tech.- M.Tech Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Result
- Sri Venkateswara University (SVU) B.Tech Admission 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
- Sri Krishnadevaraya University (SKU) B.Tech and B.Arch Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
- MANUU B.Tech and B.Ed Admission 2019: Courses, Results, Cut Off, Dates, Fees
- Koneru Lakshmaiah University (KLU) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Placement, Result, Fees
- JNTU Kakinada B.Tech Admissions 2019: Courses, Entrance Exam, Result
B.E. Information Science and Engineering: Syllabus and Course description
The syllabus of the course is divided into 8 semesters spread over a span of four years with each year comprising of two semesters. The syllabus of the course is divided into various subjects and technical skills that students are taught during the course of their under graduation. The syllabus covers all the aspects related to Information science engineering in a holistic manner so, as to provide a solid base and understanding of the subject to the undergraduate students.
The details regarding the syllabus of the course are mentioned below to provide a reference to the candidates.
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Basics of Civil and Mechanical Engineering||Basic of Electrical and Electronics Engineering|
|Communicative English||Computer Programming|
|Practical Lab||Practical Lab|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Logic Design||Graph Theory and Combinatory|
|Data Structure with C||Analysis and Design of Algorithms|
|Unix and Shell Programming||Object-Oriented Programming with C++|
|Discrete Mathematical Structure||Microprocessors|
|Electronics Circuits||Computer Organization|
|Practical Lab||Practical Lab|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|Software Engineering||Computer Networks 2|
|System Software||Database Applications|
|Operating System||File Structure|
|Database Management System||Information System|
|Computer Networks 1||Management and Entrepreneurship|
|Formal Languages and Automata Theory||Elective 1|
|Practical Lab||Practical Lab|
|Semester VII||Semester VIII|
|Object-Oriented Modeling and Design||Software Testing|
|Software Architectures||System Modeling and Simulation|
|Programming the Web||Mobile Computing|
|Data Mining||Elective 3|
|Elective Subject 2||Elective 4|
|Practical Lab||Practical Lab|
B.E. Information Science and Engineering: Who Should Opt for?
- Students who have interest in Computer technology and related studies.
- Those who have interest in software development and testing.
- Those who are looking for a career in IT Management.
- Those aiming at higher studies in the domain can opt for the course.
B.E. Information Science and Engineering: Career Prospects
Information Science engineering graduates have plenty of options to choose from in terms of their career. One can choose to work with firms working in the domain of Software development, Web development, IT management, IT service providing etc.
To provide you a holistic view of the career prospects of the course we have tabled certain areas and the respective roles attached to the same where Information science engineering undergraduates can look for in terms of their career.
|Job Profile||Role||Average Salary for Fresher’s|
|Software Engineer||Work of software engineer involves developing various software and program algorithms as per the need of clients of the company.||INR 2.0-2.32 Lacs|
|Software Tester||The job of a software-tester involves checking and eliminating any redundancy in the software program so, as to ensure the bug-free performance of the software.||INR 1.75-2 Lacs|
|IT manager||An IT manager is entrusted with the responsibility of making the IT system of the company work in a hassle free manner through its effective management.||INR 1.85-2.25 Lacs|
|Data Miner||A data miner’s job revolves around making the validation and authentication of the various transactions that take place through digital mode or through the use of cryptocurrency. ||INR 1.75-2.3 Lacs|
|IT Maintenance Engineer||This job involves timely inspection and correction of any bug or technical fault in software and hardware so, as to ensure their optimum functioning efficiency intact.||INR 1.8-2.2 Lacs|