Master of Physical Education [M.P.Ed] is a postgraduate course in the discipline of physical education. It is the discipline which is concerned with sports activities and equips the students with a range of practical skills applicable in officiating Athletics sports.
The duration of this course is 2 years which are generally divided into four semesters.
For eligibility purposes, a candidate should have an under graduate degree in Physical Education with a minimum recommended score of 50% from any recognized university or equivalent.
For Master of Physical Education [M. P. Ed], the average tuition fee ranges from 50,000 INR to 3 lakhs INR.
Post completion of the course, students can make a successful career in public or private schools and in sports as instructor, referee or coach. The initial salary for such candidates may range from 15,000 INR to 25,000 INR per month.
What is Master of Physical Education [M.P.Ed]?
Physical education is a discipline which acquaints the students with sports psychology, research methodology, sports medicines computer application in physical education and exercise psychology. It is a course which helps the students to closely understand physical activities related to sports. It teaches the students to improve techniques and approach applied to fitness in sports and in other areas.
Being a postgraduate physical education course, the objective of this course is to produce proficient physical education graduates. It is done by this course through enhancing the abilities and skills of students for application of physical education theories and expertise in the real life problems faced by athletes. It prepares the students for solving problems in fields like training, fitness, teaching, consultation and therapy.
Top Colleges for Master of Physical Education [M.P.Ed]
- Master of Physical Education [M.P.Ed] in Tamil Nadu
- Master of Physical Education [M.P.Ed] in Maharashtra
- Master of Physical Education [M.P.Ed] in Uttar Pradesh
- Master of Physical Education [M.P.Ed] in Rajasthan
- Master of Physical Education [M.P.Ed] in Gujarat
Who should opt For Master of Physical Education [M.P.Ed]?
This course is meant for the students who are looking for a career in physical education. A knack for problem solving is exactly what this course looks for in a candidate. Anyone who has patience, perseverance and sporting spirit can opt for this course. The candidates who excel in sports related activities should apply for this course. Students having a good fitness and sporting ability are a natural fit for this course.
Where to Study?
There are many Universities in India which offer M.P.Ed. course. Some of these universities are:
University of Delhi
Maharishi Dayanand University
University of Calicut
Lovely Professional University
Banaras Hindu University
Chaudhary Charan Singh University
University of Rajasthan
Devi Ahilya University
University of Mumbai
Indira Gandhi Institute of Physical Education and Sports Science
Chaudhary Devi Lal University
Himachal Pradesh University
Academic options after this Course
After completion of this course, students can study further to enhance their qualification. If the student holds an interest in research then they may pursue either M. Phil. or Ph.D. in Physical Education. M. Phil. Physical Education is offered by the likes of Chaudhary Devi Lal University and Lovely Professional University.
Universities like Kurukshetra University, Maharshi Dayanand University and Vinayaka Missions University offer Ph.D. in Physical Education.
Eligibility Of the Master of Physical Education [M.P.Ed]
For being eligible for this course, candidate must have a score of 50% in an undergraduate degree from a recognized university or equivalent. However, some institutes may allow entry to students having at least one year long diploma in Physical Education with a recommended aggregate score of 50%.
For admission in Master of Physical Education [M.P.Ed], universities conduct their own entrance tests. The said test has different stages.
Most of the institutions have entrance exams as admission mode. Hence, the students who have appeared in final year examination of under-graduation and await the result are allowed to apply for the course by such institutions.
How to Get Admission in Master of Physical Education [M.P.Ed]
The route to this course is through entrance exam. The entrance tests for this course are conducted by universities. The universities accept the scores of these tests for selection of candidates. A merit list is prepared on the basis of scores in aforementioned tests. The entrance test comprises of three different stages:
- Written Test: First of all, candidates are required to take a 2 hour long written test comprising questions from general knowledge, subjects studied in Bachelor of Physical Education and general mental ability.
- Physical Fitness Test: It is an essential stage failing which renders the candidate ineligible for the program. Under this test, students are required to participate in physical activities and their physical fitness is assessed.
- Playing Ability Test: At last, the candidate needs to prove their playing ability in chosen sports.
Latest Master of Physical Education [M.P.Ed] Admission Alert
- Sri Krishnadevaraya University (SKU ) PG Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
- Kakatiya University (KU) PG Admissions 2019: Courses, Time Table, Results
- Lakshmibai National College of Physical Education MPE and PGDHFM Admission 2019: Courses, Application Form, Fees
- Pondicherry University PG Admissions 2019
- Kanpur University (CSJMU) PG Courses Admission 2019: Entrance Exam, Application Form, Result, Admit Card
- Calicut University PG Admissions 2019
The top entrance exams for Master of Physical Education [M.P.Ed] are:
- DU Entrance Examination: It is the examination conducted for Delhi University aspirants every year across various centers in India for taking admissions to Master of Physical Education.
- Amity Entrance Examination: It is an entrance examination conducted by Amity University to test the knowledge of candidates in physical education for an entry to Master of Physical Education program.
- Bharati Vidyapeeth University Entrance Examination: Conducted by Bharati Vidyapeeth Deemed University, it is an entrance examination meant for taking admissions in the Master of Physical Education course.
The general syllabus for various entrance tests is as shown in the list below:
- Mental Ability
- General Knowledge
- Physical Education
Every institute follows a selection process of its own. Most of them accept scores of entrance tests conducted by them. Some universities proceed with the students who qualify the entrance exams and move them to next filtering stage which is a personal interview or group discussion round like Amity University. Further, some of the universities may undertake a comprehensive counseling procedure for final selection for admission to Master of Physical Education [M.P.Ed].