Ph.D. in Electronics Engineering is a 3-year doctorate level degree in the domain of engineering with a specialization in electronics and its related aspects. It is a research level academic course that can be pursued in the domain by the doctorate aspirants.
The course is structured to deliver engineering level research and analysis related knowledge and skills to the students in the subject so as to make them well aware of each and every aspect related to the application of the subject.
Some of the popular colleges/universities offering the course are:
- Lovely Professional University
- Christ College
- DIT University
- Bharati Vidyapeeth University
- GITAM University
The fee for the course ranges from INR 15,000 to 3 Lacs across various colleges and universities in the country that are offering the course. The variation in the fee is based on the location and type of university that is private/deemed or government.
Ph.D. in Electronics Engineering course admissions are done on the basis of a merit-based selection process that is the percentage of marks obtained by the candidate at M.Phil or equivalent level. Apart from merit-based process certain colleges/universities take admissions based on the score of some popular entrance exam or conduct a separate exam of their own for admissions into Ph.D. course
There is also an option for pursuing the course through distance learning mechanism in case the candidate is working or has a place of residence other than that of the location of the college form which he/she is willing to pursue the course. Those who are looking for funding or fellowship for the course have to fulfill the required eligibility criteria (along with clearing of a respective exam for that purpose) in order to receive the grants.
Ph.D. in Electronics Engineering students has a variety of options to choose from in terms of his/her career. One can make a start with firms such as Semiconductor manufacturers, Chip designer, Circuit simulation, Product designing, Material analysis, Network providers, etc. Doctorate students are well equipped with the knowledge and application of the subject and are thus suitable for undertaking various roles at the practical level.
A fresh pass out can expect a starting salary of anywhere between INR 20,000 to 24,000 per month. The average salary range across the country varies with a little variation here and there.
Top Colleges for Ph.D. (Electronics Engineering)
- Ph.D. (Electronics Engineering) in Uttar Pradesh
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Engineering in Delhi-NCR
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Engineering in Maharashtra
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Engineering in Chennai
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Engineering in Uttar Pradesh
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Engineering in Telangana
Ph.D. in Electronics Engineering: Course Highlight Table
|Duration of Course||3-5 Years|
|Admission process||Entrance Test based/Merit-based (Based on M.Phil. (or equivalent) percentage)|
|Structure of Course||Semester-Wise/Yearly exam based|
|Eligibility||M.Phil. or equivalent From any recognized college/university with a minimum of 55% (relaxable for reserved category candidates) marks.|
|Top recruiting areas||Semiconductor manufacturers, Chip designer, Circuit simulation, Product designing, Material analysis, Network providers|
|Job Profiles||Service Engineer, Network Planner, Head of Department, Research head, Test engineer, Technical consultant, Professor etc.|
|Course Fee||INR 15,000 to INR 3 Lacs|
|Average starting salary||INR 20,000 to 24,000|
Ph.D. in Electronics Engineering: What is it about?
Electronics as a domain deals with the study, analysis, and manufacturing of low voltage high-efficiency device that are used to impart a smarter and effective outlook to traditional electronics equipment like TV, Phones, Computers etc. The application of this acquired knowledge of electronics in a practical domain requires the usage of skill set and technical knowledge.
Engineering being a domain of application of technology in practical life allows electronics a platform where the gained knowledge in the domain is seen translated into working wonders of great effectiveness for common masses. This has overall lead to the development of electronics engineering as a separate domain of engineering studies and has been attracting technical graduates for a while.
A doctorate level course in the domain provides a mechanism for the students to develop an expertise in the subject by getting into the insight of the domain. Through research, practice, and presentation the course curriculum aims at preparing the students for an overall domain expert who is ready to take on the job market.
Ph.D. in Electronics Engineering: Top Institutes
Ph.D. in Electronics Engineering is offered as a doctorate level program by a good number of colleges/universities across the country to candidates who have passed their M.Phil or equivalent level exam from a recognized state or central University.
For your reference, we have tabled down a list of various colleges/universities that are offering this course in India.
|Institute||City||Approximate Average Fee (For total course duration)|
|Lovely Professional University||Jalandhar||INR 3.16 Lacs|
|Christ College||Bangalore||INR 1.8 Lacs|
|Chandigarh University||Chandigarh||INR 2.40 Lacs|
|VJ Technological Institute||Mumbai||INR 1.30 Lacs|
|Jaipur National University||Jaipur||INR 2.1 Lacs|
|BMS College of Engineering||Bangalore||INR 2.35 Lacs|
|Sanskriti University||Mathura||INR 1.95 Lacs|
|DIT University||Dehradun||INR 2.16 Lacs|
|Bharati Vidyapeeth University||Pune||INR 2.33 Lacs|
|GITAM University||Vizag||INR 1.54 Lacs|
Interested candidates can make an application for admission to the above-mentioned Universities and colleges.
Ph.D. in Electronics Engineering: Eligibility
Candidate must have passed their M.Phil or equivalent level Examination with at least 55% (relaxable for reserved category candidates) of the marks from a recognized state/private/deemed or central University.
- He/She shall not be having any backlog or compartment in any of the subject/subjects at M.Phil or equivalent level that is yet to be cleared at the time of taking admissions.
- Apart from the above-mentioned eligibility criteria’s various colleges and institutes may have their own additional criteria’s which the students would have to satisfy in order to take admission (Like work or research experience in the domain).
- In case of reserved category students, they would have to present their reservation certificates issued by the competent authorities in order to avail the benefits applicable to them.
- Certain Institutes grant admissions through Common Entrance Test (CET) like UGC NET etc. To get admission in these institutes candidates would have to qualify the respective entrance exam by securing minimum qualifying marks.
The eligibility criteria’s mentioned above are common to most of the universities and colleges across the country that are offering this course to the students.
Ph.D. in Electronics Engineering: Admission Process
Most Universities/Colleges offer admission based on the score of CET (like CSIR NET) or conduct their own entrance test (like JNTU) for admission into Ph.D. courses hence students would have to make an application for such exams.
- Students have to qualify these exams (for which they should be eligible to appear) in order to get admission in the course.
- After the conduct of the test, a merit list of finally qualified candidates is prepared and candidates are invited for admission process by the respective university or college.
- After preparation of final merit list, the process of final allotment of seats to the candidate takes place and the candidate is asked to deposit the fee for the course and register for the respective academic year.
Latest Ph.D. (Electronics Engineering) Admission Alert
- JNU Ph.D. Admission 2019: Eligibility, Application Process, Admission Process
- Jamia Millia Islamia Ph.D, M.Phil. Admissions 2019: Login, Application Form
- JNTU Hyderabad Ph.D and M.Phil Admissions 2019: Courses, Time Table, Result, Fees
- Birla Institute of Technology (BIT) Mesra Ph.D. Admissions 2019: Cut Off, Placement, Fees
- Christ University Ph.D. Admissions 2019
- SRM University M.Tech/M.Arch and Ph.D. Admission 2019
Ph.D. in Electronics Engineering: Syllabus and Course description
The time duration of the course is variable that is 3 to 5 year and the syllabus is divided into various domain related subject and practical/research modules. The detailed description of the syllabus is tabled below for your reference.
|Subject/domain of study|
|Adaptive Signal Processing|
|Audio Signal Processing|
|Digital signal processing|
Ph.D. in Electronics Engineering: Who Should Opt for?
- Students who have done M.Phil/Masters in the domain of Electronics Engineering.
- Those who have interest in circuit designing.
- Those who are looking for a career in Network Engineering.
- Those looking at Public sector jobs.
Ph.D. in Electronics Engineering: Career Prospects
Ph.D. in Electronics Engineering students have plenty of options to choose from in terms of their career. One can choose to work as Service Engineer, Network Planner, Head of Department, Research head, Test engineer, Technical consultant, Professor etc.
To provide you a holistic view of the career prospects of the course we have tabled certain areas and the respective roles attached to the same where Ph.D. holders can look for in terms of their career.
|Area/Domain||Role||Average Salary for Fresher’s|
|Head of Department (HOD)||An HOD is usually involved in heading a respective department in engineering (or other colleges) and is responsible for its management.||INR 2.5-3.45 Lacs|
|Network Planner||The job involves designing and structuring out a detailed schematic plan for operation of a communication network.||INR 3.4- 3.68 Lacs|
|Technical Consultant||The job involves tendering technical expertise and advice to project managers, individuals, or firms.||INR 2.88 – 3.30 Lacs|
|Research Head||A research head is involved in leading a team of researchers involved in a particular project or assignment.||INR 2.54-3.16 Lacs|
|Test engineer||A Test engineer is involved in testing and analysis of various electronics equipment installed on field, firm or lab.||INR 3.26- 3.52 Lacs|