B.Ed. in Home Science is a 2-year full-time undergraduate certificate-level course in education.
Home Science can be simply described as the science of managing the home. The course imparts education regarding using things in a manner which is typical of an art (knitting, sewing, painting etc.). It is a science, in that it also imparts knowledge of the principles of science (heating, cooling, nutrition, preservation etc.) which are used in everyday household work.
This interdisciplinary field of study spans cooking, laundry, needlework and home decoration. It draws from concepts of physical, biological and social sciences, and arts and humanities. It's related to modern housekeeping.
As a modern science, it aims to devise tools for improvement of home living, family life, intellectual thinking and application of all these resources to make home and family effective parts of the social fabric, to make life more beautiful, and worthwhile.
Successful completion of graduation is the minimum criterion for eligibility for admission to the course.
Admissions to the course are based on the round of counselling conducted after the candidate’s qualification of a relevant entrance test, such as that conducted by the University of Delhi.
Some of the top entrance tests conducted in India for admission to the course are:
- IGNOU B.Ed. Entrance Exam
- Delhi University B.Ed. Entrance Test
- Punjab University B.Ed. Entrance Test
- Mumbai University B.Ed. Entrance Test.
The course is offered at leading Indian institutes such as:
- Lady Shri Ram College for Women, New Delhi
- Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, New Delhi
- Jamia Millia Islamia University, New Delhi
The average tuition fee charged for the course in India ranges between INR 5000 and 2 Lacs for a span of 3 years.
Successful graduates of the course can expect anything between INR 2 to 10 lacs as annual salary in the industry, increasing with experience and skill set.
Such graduates are hired in capacities such as:
- Dieticians, Fashion Designer, Hostess/ Receptionist, Counsellors.
- Tailors, Cook, Interior designer, Restaurant Manager, Resort Manager.
- Art Designer, Consultant, School Teachers, Private Tutor, Online Tutor.
- Education Consultant, Principal, Vice Principal, Counsellor.
- Content Writer, Instructor, Education Researcher, etc.
B.Ed. in Home Science: Course Highlights
Tabulated below are some of the major highlights of the course:
|Examination Type||Semester System/Year wise|
|Eligibility||Graduation from a recognized university|
|Admission Process||Merit-based/ Based on counselling after qualification of entrance test.|
|Course Fee||INR 5000 to 2 Lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 2 to 10 lacs per annum|
|Top Recruiting Companies||National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT), National University of Educational Planning and Administration (NUEPA), National University of Educational Planning and Administration (NUEPA), Food Plaza, Parikrama, IBM, HCL, Amazon, MakeMyTrip, etc.|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Hospitals, Boutiques, Tailor Shops, Hotels, Schools, Colleges, Garment Factory, Bakery and Confectionery Shops, Emporiums, Antique Shops, Consultancy, and such.|
|Job Positions||Dieticians, Fashion Designer, Hostess/ Receptionist, Counsellors, Tailors, Cook, Interior designer, Restaurant Manager, Resort Manager, Art Designer, Consultant, School Teachers, Private Tutor, Online Tutor, Education Consultant, Principal, Vice Principal, Counsellor, Content Writer, Instructor, Education Researcher, among others.|
Top Colleges for Bachelor of Education [B.Ed] (Home Science)
- Bachelor of Education [B.Ed] (Home Science) in Tamil Nadu
- B.Ed in Delhi-NCR
- B.Ed in Maharashtra
- B.Ed in Chennai
- B.Ed in Uttar Pradesh
- B.Ed in Telangana
B.Ed. in Home Science: What is it About?
As a career-oriented academic discipline, Home Science covers the investigation of the different sciences that include nutrition, sustenance, health and development, environment, etc.
The major topics of study that form part of the course’s curriculum are:
- Food Science, Fundamentals of Resource Management.
- Foundations of Human Development, Introduction to Fabric and Apparel Science.
- Foundations of Food and Nutrition, etc.
Various others disciplines are included in the course’s curriculum, such as:
- Physics, chemistry, physiology, hygiene, biology, economics.
- Rural development, sociology and family relations, child development.
- Community living, food, art, nutrition, textiles, clothing and home management.
B.Ed. in Home Science: Who should opt?
Ideal candidates for the course would possess the following skills:
- A scientific approach, and organizational ability.
- Aesthetic and creative ability.
- Good communication skills.
- Aptitude for doing practical work related to household affairs.
- A logical and realistic approach, and a balanced attitude.
- Awareness of health, diet, and lifestyle.
- Creativity and artistic visualization.
- Manual agility, scientific skills, ability to express oneself.
Top Institutes offering B.Ed. in Home Science
Tabulated below are some of the top institutes in India that offer the course:
|Name of Institute||City|| Average Fees|
|Lady Shri Ram College for Women||New Delhi||INR 19,030|
|Kasturi Ram College of Higher Education||New Delhi||INR 58,000|
|Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University||New Delhi||INR 23,000|
|Jamia Millia Islamia University||New Delhi||INR 6,800|
|University of Calicut||Calicut||INR 30,000|
|Lovely Professional University||Jalandhar||INR 69,000|
|Amity University||Lucknow||INR 86,100|
|Banaras Hindu University||Varanasi||INR 5,670|
|Icfai University||Dehradun||INR 57,000|
|Lady Irwin College||New Delhi||INR 12,955|
|Dr. D.Y. Patil Vidya Pratishthan Society's||Pune||INR 46,112|
|University of Lucknow||Lucknow||INR 21,854|
|Kamla Nehru Mahavidyalaya||Bhopal||INR 35,000|
|Integral University||Lucknow||INR 75,000|
|Kamal Institute of Higher Education & Advance Technology||New Delhi||INR 48,700|
|Bhabha College of Education||Bhopal||INR 36,000|
|Loreto College||Kolkata||INR 13,025|
|Bombay Teachers' Training College||Mumbai||INR 22,320|
|Government College of Education for Women||Coimbatore||INR 10,000|
|Ranchi University||Ranchi||INR 15,000|
Eligibility for B.Ed. in Home Science
Listed below are the minimum criteria which candidates interested in pursuing the course are required to fulfil, in order to be eligible to apply for the course:
- Successful completion of graduation (B.A./ B.Sc./ B.Com.), from a recognized university.
- A minimum aggregate score of 50% (45% for SC/ST candidates) at the level of graduation.
Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) Home Science: Admission Process
Most institutes offering the course admit students based on performance in a relevant entrance test, often followed by a round of personal interview, wherein their general aptitude for the course is tested. Admission process generally varies across colleges.
A few institutes also provide direct admission based on the candidate’s performance at the level of graduation.
Listed below are some of the top entrance exams conducted in the country for admission to the course:
- IGNOU B.Ed. Entrance Exam
- Delhi University B.Ed. Entrance Test
- Punjab University B.Ed. Entrance Test
- Mumbai University B.Ed. Entrance Test
- Purvanchal B.Ed. Entrance Test
- M.J.P. Rohilkhand University B.Ed. Entrance Test
- Satyam College of Education (SCE) B.Ed. Entrance Test
- Guru Nanak Dev University (GNDU) B.Ed. Entrance Test.
Latest Bachelor of Education [B.Ed] (Home Science) Admission Alert
- Jamia Millia Islamia UG Admissions 2019
- Rashtriya Sanskrit Vidyapeetha UG Admission 2019: Courses, Application Process, Eligibility
- Rashtriya Sanskrit Vidyapeetha M.Ed and Ph.D Admissions 2019: Courses, Application Process, Eligibility
- MANUU B.Tech and B.Ed Admission 2019: Courses, Results, Cut Off, Dates, Fees
- Kakatiya University (KU) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Time Table, Results
- Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar University (BBAU) BA, B.Com and B.Sc Admission 2019
B.Ed. in Home Science: Syllabus and Course Description
A year-wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is tabulated here:
|Year I||Year II|
|Course I Basic Ideas in Educational Theory||School Life Experience & Practical Skills in Teaching|
|Course II Educational Psychology (A)Modern Indian Education Its development and recent history (B) Its organization and practice||Teaching School Subject-I Home Science|
|Teaching School Subject-II Integrated Science|
|Sessional Practical Work|
|Practical School Assignments |
|Special Aspect of the School|
|Course IIIHealth Education Methodology of Teaching (two subjects) Teaching of Home Science||Criticism|
|Criticism of Examination System |
|Achievement Test Report in Teaching Subject-I |
|Course IV Teaching of Science Compulsory Elective Any one of the following: Educational Technology Education of Children with Special Needs School Evaluation Education for Mental Health Organization and Administration of Pre-School Education||Achievement Test Report in Teaching Subject-II |
|Tutorial Work |
|Visual Education |
|Work Experience |
|Co-curricular Activities |
|Work with the Community|
B.Ed. in Home Science: Career Prospects
In recent times, Home Science is increasingly being recognized as a professional discipline.
A wide range of employment opportunities for such professionals exists across areas such as:
- Hospitals, cafeteria, commercial restaurants.
- Fashion designing, fashion journalism, apparel merchandising.
- Consultancy and counselling, welfare organizations, community development programs.
- Teaching in schools and colleges.
Some of the popular professional avenues open to successful professionals of the course are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions:
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Pay Scale in INR|
|Fashion Designer||Fashion Designers create original clothing, accessories, and footwear. They sketch designs, select fabrics, and patterns, and provide instructions on how to make the products they designed.||3,58,011|
|Receptionist||Receptionists welcome visitors by greeting them, in person or on the telephone; answering or referring inquiries.||1,80,833|
|Professor||Professors teach students in a wide range of disciplines at the post-secondary level. They deliver scholarly articles, perform research, and instruct.||9,13,657|
|Article Writer||Article Writers create written work such as articles, reports, books, and different forms of verbal compositions.||2,43,264|
|Home Tutor||Home Tutors provide non-classroom, scholarly instruction to students on individual or group-basis.||291,632|