Stream: Pediatric Dentistry
Duration: 3 Years
Course: Pediatric Dentistry
Course Type: 3 Years
M.D.S. in Pediatric Dentistry is a 3- year postgraduate program essentially involving subjects of study such as pediatric development and improvement, child psychology and management, disease causality and prevention, and related pediatric restorative techniques and modalities. The course prepares eligible candidates to advise and counsel parents, treat dental injuries such as chipped teeth, cavities, gum diseases and other infections in the mouth.
M.D.S. in Pediatric Dentistry: Course Objectives
The course curriculum aims to prepare eligible candidates to:
- comprehend the standards of counteractive action and preventive dentistry ideal from birth to immaturity
- guide and counsel parents with regard to various treatment modalities including different facets of preventive dentistry
- prevent and intercept developing malocclusion.
Top Colleges for Master of Dental Surgery [MDS] (Pediatric Dentistry)
- MDS in Delhi-NCR
- MDS in Maharashtra
- MDS in Chennai
- MDS in Uttar Pradesh
- MDS in Telangana
M.D.S. in Pediatric Dentistry: Course Highlights
Listed here are the major highlights of the course.
|Name of the course||M.D.S. in Pediatric Dentistry|
|Course Level||Post Graduation|
|Duration||3 years, full- time|
|Eligibility||Graduation or equivalent in related subject|
|Admission Process||Based on performance in a relevant entrance examination, and completion of BDS with 1- year internship.|
|Average Course Fee||INR 10K to 25 Lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 3 to 15 Lacs|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Fortis Healthcare , MAX Healthcare, Care Hospitals, Indian Council of Medical Research, Apollo Hospitals, Kailash Hospital etc.|
Top Institutes Offering M.D.S. in Pediatric Dentistry
The average tuition fee charged in India for M.D.S. in Pediatric Dentistry ranges between INR 10,000 (government institutes) and 25 lacs (private institutes).
Listed below are some of the best institutes in India that offer M.D.S. in Pediatric Dentistry.
|SR.NO.||INSTITUTE||STATE||TUITION FEES (PER YEAR) IN INR||ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA||ADMISSION PROCEDURE|
|1.||PT Bhagwat Dayal Sharma Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences||Rohtak, Haryana||19,580||Candidates need to have completed MDS/MBBS or an equivalent qualification recognized by the Dental Council of India.||Based on the candidate’s performance in the All India Common Entrance Test (AICET).|
|2.||SRM Dental College||Tamil Nadu, Chennai||12,00,000||Candidates need to have completed MDS/MBBS or an equivalent qualification recognized by the Dental Council of India.||Based on the candidate’s performance in the All India Common Entrance Test (AICET).|
|3.||Genesis Institute of Dental Sciences and Research||Firozpur, Punjab||1,67,000||Candidates need to have completed MDS/MBBS or an equivalent qualification recognized by the Dental Council of India.||Based on the candidate’s performance in the All India Common Entrance Test (AICET).|
|4.||Maitri College of Dentistry and Research Centre||Durg, Chhattisgarh||1,17,000||Candidates need to have completed MDS/MBBS or an equivalent qualification recognized by the Dental Council of India.||Based on the candidate’s performance in the All India Common Entrance Test (AICET).|
Eligibility for M.D.S. in Pediatric Dentistry
The minimum criterion of eligibility needed to be met for admission to the course is a BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery) degree recognized by the Dental Council of India with a minimum aggregate score of 55%.
Additionally, aspiring students need to appear for and qualify the All India Common Entrance Test (AICET), conducted across the country.
Foreign Nationals seeking admission to the course must procure temporary registration from the Dental Council of India for the duration of the post graduate training restricted to the dental college to which he/ she is seeking admission.
M.D.S. in Pediatric Dentistry: Admission Process
Candidates aspiring for admission to the course need to have completed BDS with a 1- year internship. Admission is additionally based on the candidate’s performance in a relevant entrance examination (UPCAT-Dental).
Some of the major entrance exams conducted in India for admission to the course are listed here.
- All India Post Graduate Dental Entrance Exam (AIPGDEE)
- Kerala University MDS Entrance Exam
- Manipal University MDS Entrance Exam
- Dr. D.Y. Patil All India Common Entrance Test (AICET)
- Bharti Vidyapeeth Dental College and Hospital MDS Entrance Exam.
Latest Master of Dental Surgery [MDS] (Pediatric Dentistry) Admission Alert
- Dr. NTR University of Health Sciences (NTRUHS) MDS & MPT Admission 2019: Courses, Dates, Placement, Fees
- Dr. NTR University of Health Sciences (NTRUHS) MD, MS and MDS Admission 2019: Courses, Dates, Placement, Fees
- Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham PG Medical, Dental and Pharmacy Admission 2019
- Jagadguru Sri Shivarathreeswara (JSS) University MD/MS/MDS Admissions 2019
- KLE University MD, MS and MDS Admissions 2019
- NITTE University MD/MS & MDS Admission 2019
M.D.S. in Pediatric Dentistry: Syllabus and Course Structure
Listed here are the main subjects taught as part of the course’s curriculum.
- Applied Anatomy as genetics
- Applied Physiology
- Applied Pathology
- Nutrition and Dietetics
- Growth & Development
- Child Psychology
- Behavior Management
- Child Abuse & Dental Neglect
- Conscious Sedation, General Anesthesia, Deep Sedation & in Pediatric Dentistry
- Preventive Periodontics
- Dental Plaque
- Microbiology & Immunology as related to Oral Diseases in Children
- Gingival & Periodontal diseases in Children
- Pediatric Operative Dentistry
- Pediatric Endodontics
- Prosthetic consideration in Pediatric Dentistry
- Traumatic Injuries in Children
- Interceptive Orthodontics
- Oral Habits in Children
- Dental care of Children with special needs
- Systemic Condition of Oral manifestations in Children & their Management
- Management of Minor Oral Surgical Procedures in Children
- Dental Radiology as related to Pediatric Dentistry
- Pediatric Oral Medicine & Clinical Pathology
- Congenital Abnormalities in Children
- Dental Emergencies in Children and their Management.
- Dental Materials used in Pediatric Dentistry.
- Preventive Dentistry:
- School Dental Health Programs and Dental Health Education
- Dental health concepts, Effects of civilization and environment, Dental Health
- Medicological aspects in Pediatric Dentistry with emphasis on informed
- Counseling in Pediatric Dentistry
- Case History Recording, Outline of principles of examination, diagnosis & treatment
- Comprehensive Infant Oral Health Care.
- Principles of Bio-Statistics & Research Methodology & Understanding of
- Comprehensive cleft care management with emphasis on counseling, feeding,
- Preventive Dentistry Clinic and Setting up of Periodontics
- Emerging concept in Pediatric Dentistry of scope of laser/ minimum invasion.
M.D.S. in Pediatric Dentistry: Career Prospects
Successful postgraduates of the course interested in further studies in the discipline can go for pursuing Ph.D. in the subject.
Hospitals, Health Clubs, Schools, Child Care Units, Private Clinics etc. are some of the areas that employment opportunities for such postgraduates are available in.
Professionally, such professionals are hired in capacities such as:
- Dental surgeon
- Dental Lab Technician
- Dental Assistant
- Public Health Specialists
- Dental Hygienist
- Oral Pathologist
- Private Practitioners, among others.
Some of the popular professional avenues open to such postgraduates are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions.
|Job Title||Job Description||Average Annual Salary in INR|
|Dental Hygienists||Dental Hygienists work under the supervision of authorized dental specialists. They perform essential dental care assignments, for the most part centered around keeping patients' teeth and gums clean.||1,16,600 – 5,00,913|
|Dental Assistants||Dental Assistants play an assortment of roles, such as patient care, office, research, and frequently work seat- side as dental practitioners, analyzing and treating patients. They set patients up for treatment, and get their dental records.||32,20,000 - 4,30,000|
|Dental Surgeon/ Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons||Dental Surgeon or Oral and Maxillofacial Specialists work on the mouth, jaws, teeth, gums, neck, and head, including strategies, for example, surgically repairing a congenital fissure and sense of taste or evacuating affected teeth. Oral Pathologists analyze conditions in the mouth, for example, knocks or ulcers, and oral illnesses, for example, malignancy.||1,45,000 - 10,30,000|