MBA in Shipping and Logistic Management is a Post Graduate (PG) specialized course in the domain of logistics management in relation to the shipping and cargo industry. The course is of 2 years duration with each year divided into 2 semesters making it a total of four semesters in two-year duration of the course.
Some of the popular colleges/universities that are offering the course are:
- VELS University
- Indian Institute of Logistics
- Karunya University
- Saheed Bhagat Singh college
- Indian Maritime Management and Research Institute
The fee for the course ranges from INR 90,000 to 10 Lacs across various colleges and universities across the country. The variation in fee is based on the location and nature of university (that is government, state/private/deemed etc.).
Admission to the course is generally based on Common Entrance Test (CET) like CAT, GMAT, XAT etc. which are held for admission of candidates in various disciplines of MBA course. Certain colleges/universities conduct their own exam apart from the common exams for selecting candidates for admission however, preference is given to the score of common exams (CAT, XAT, GMAT etc.) when it comes grant of admission.
The course is designed to provide specialization in the domain of cargo and logistics that form a crucial part of supply chain management in any business or production entity that is indulged in exporting and importing of commodities.
A fresh MBA graduate in the respective discipline can look for job opportunities with Shipping companies, Ports and harbor trusts, government dockyards, Import-Export firms, Logistic supply chains etc.
A new recruit after completing his/her course can expect a starting salary in the range of INR 20,000 to 25,000. The variation in salary depends upon the placement record of college, candidate’s academic performance, status of the recruiting company and his/her performance in the selection rounds. However, the average comes out to be in between the above mentioned range.
Top Colleges for Master of Business Administration [MBA] (Logistics & Shipping Management)
- Master of Business Administration [MBA] (Logistics & Shipping Management) in Tamil Nadu
- MBA/PGDM in Delhi-NCR
- MBA/PGDM in Maharashtra
- MBA/PGDM in Chennai
- MBA/PGDM in Uttar Pradesh
- MBA/PGDM in Telangana
MBA in Shipping and Logistic Management: Course Highlights
|Course Level|| Post Graduate|
|Duration of the Course||2 years|
|Eligibility||Minimum score of 55% (Relax able for reserved category students) marks at UG level in any stream.|
|Admission Process||Entrance exam based|
|Course Fee||Between INR 90,000 to INR 10 Lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||Rs.20000 to 25000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Shipping companies, Ports and harbor trusts, government dockyards, Import-Export firms, Logistic supply chains|
|Job Positions||Port manager, operations manager, Port planning and Development officer, Yard manager.|
MBA in Shipping and Logistic Management: What is it about?
The area of logistics deals with commercial activities of transporting and receiving goods to and from customers at national or international level. MBA course in Logistics and Shipping Management clubs the logistic aspects of the business with managerial skill required in shipping/cargo related industries.
The course is a specific and extensive PG academic course which deals with industry specific knowledge and skills that students should have in order to make a significant contribution to the organization in which they would be working.
At its core the course aims at bridging the gap of skilled and qualified professional that are required in the respective domain by nurturing the young graduates with industry relevant and market specific knowledge base so, that they can make a contribution through its application and at the same time would be able to enhance their employability prospects.
MBA in Shipping and Logistic Management: Top Institutes
A good number of colleges across the country offer the MBA in Logistics and Shipping Management course to candidates who have passed their UG or equivalent examination from a recognized state or central University. Students can take admission in the course through Common Entrance Test conducted certain exam conducting authorities such as IIMs and XLRI as well as separate exams conducted by respective colleges/Universities that are offering this course.
For your reference, we have tabled down a list of various colleges/universities that are offering this course in India.
|VELS University||Chennai||INR 144, 050|
|Indian Institute of Logistics||Kochi||INR 2,50,000|
|Karunya University||Coimbatore||INR 2,35,000|
|Saga Institute of Management Studies||Malapurram||INR 70,675|
|Saheed Bhagat Singh college||Rewari||INR 1,20,000|
|Sun International Institute for Technology and Management||Hyderabad||INR 155, 250|
|Swami Vivekananda Subharti University||Meerut||INR 1,50,000|
| IGCDE||Delhi||INR 15,427|
|Teerthankar Mahavir University||Moradabad||INR 159, 200|
|Indian Maritime Management and Research Institute||Kochi||INR 200,000|
MBA in Shipping and Logistic Management: Eligibility
Candidate must have passed the UG or equivalent examination in any stream from a recognized state/private/deemed or central University with at least 55% (45% to 50% for reserved category candidates) of the marks:
- He/She shall not be having any backlog or compartment in any of the subject/Subjects at UG level that is yet to be cleared at the time of taking admissions.
- Apart from the above mentioned eligibility criteria’s various colleges and institutes may have their own additional criteria’s which the students would have to satisfy in order to take admission.
- In case of reserved category students, they would have to present their reservation certificates issued by the competent authorities in order to avail the benefits applicable for them.
- Most of the Institute give admissions through Common Entrance Test (CET) (like CAT, MAT, XAT, GMAT etc). To get admissions in these institutes candidates would have to qualify the respective entrance exam by securing minimum qualifying marks.
The eligibility criteria’s mentioned above are common to most of the universities and colleges across the country that are offering this course to the students.
MBA in Shipping and Logistic Management: Admission Process
The admission process for this course involves a common entrance test based admission process (as seen across various Universities and colleges in the country).
Most of the Universities/Colleges conduct a common entrance test for admission into MBA courses or take admissions through commonly held entrance exam like CAT, MAT, XAT, GMAT etc. Hence students would have to make an application for such exams.
- Students have to qualify these exams (for which they should be eligible to appear) in order to get admission in the course.
- After the conduct of the test, a merit list of finally qualified candidates is prepared and candidates are invited for counselling cum admission process by the respective university or college.
- After admission process final allotment of seats to the candidate takes place and the candidate is asked to deposit the fee for the course and register for the respective academic year.
Admission process would mostly be same across all the B-schools and universities that are offering this course.
Latest Master of Business Administration [MBA] (Logistics & Shipping Management) Admission Alert
- JNU MA, M.Sc, MCA & MBA Admission 2019: Courses, Application Form, Eligibility, Entrance Exam
- Lucknow University MBA Admission 2019
- Jamia Millia Islamia M.Tech., M.B.A., and M.C.A. Admission 2019
- Telangana University (TU) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Time Table, Results
- Jamia Millia Islamia PG Admissions 2019: Course, Fees, Result, Login, Entrance Exams
- Sri Venkateswara University (SVU) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
MBA in Shipping and Logistic Management: Syllabus and Course description
The syllabus of the course is divided into 4 semesters spread over a span of two years with each year comprising of two semesters. The syllabus of the course is divided into various parts and modules that students are taught during the course of their post graduation. The syllabus covers all the aspects related to the logistics and ship management so as to provide a holistic understanding of the subject to the master’s students.
The details regarding the syllabus of the course are mentioned below for the reference of the candidates.
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Principles of Management||Marketing Management|
|Computer Fundamentals||Business Research|
|Managerial Economics||Production and Operations Management|
|Business Statistics||Operation Research|
|Professional English||Human Resource Management|
|Financial Accounting||Cost and Management Accounting|
|Business Environment||Professional Communication|
|Organizational Behavior||Viva Voice|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Fundamental of Logistics||Strategic Management|
|Introduction to Shipping||Supply Chain Management|
|Custom Procedures||Total quality Management|
|Warehousing and Inventory Management||Oral communication|
|Transportation and Distribution Management||Dissertation|
|Freight Forwarding, Stevedoring, Port terminal management||Specialization subject-1|
|Linear Trade||Specialization subject-2|
|Dry cargo chartering||-|
|Industrial Internship Program||-|
MBA in Shipping and Logistic Management: Who Should Opt for?
- Students who have interest in business and administration should opt for the course.
- Those who have a career in logistic domain in mind.
- Those who are looking for a career in managerial and related aspects.
- Those aiming at government jobs after graduation can also opt for the course.
MBA in Shipping and Logistic Management: Career Prospects
MBA in logistic and shipping management degree holders have plenty of options to choose from in terms of their career. One can choose to work with companies such as Shipping companies, Ports and harbor trusts, government dockyards, Import-Export firms, Logistic supply chains etc.
To provide you a holistic view of the career prospects of the course we have tabled certain areas and the respective roles attached to the same where Persian language post graduates can look for in terms of their career.
|Job Profile||Role||Average Salary for Fresher’s|
|Port Manager||Work of a port manager involves coordinating all the activities at the port level through sustained overview.||INR 2.4-2.52 Lacs|
|Operations Manger||Operation Managers are encrusted with duty of safe dispatch and procurement of various goods in the supply chain of a firm.||INR 2.3-2.5 Lacs|
|Cargo Manager||The job involves managing of various commercial divisions related to the handling of the cargo.||INR 2.8-3 Lacs|
|Customs officer||The job is a typical public sector job that involves inspection and checking of various shipments that arrive on the ports.||INR 5-6 Lacs|
|Planning and Development officer||This job involves planning and management of various activities on paper before its actual implementation at port level.||INR 3-3.2 Lacs|