B.A. in Fashion Designing is a 3-year long career-oriented undergraduate course in Fashion Designing. Fashion Design is the creation of original designs in such things as garments, footwear, jewelries, luggage, such accessories, etc. The course, in its essence, is an advanced study of:
- ever-changing trends in the fashion industry and market.
- creation of original designs through artistic talent and creativity.
- fashion-related market trends.
The minimum eligibility needed for applying to the course is the successful completion of the 10+2 level of education from a recognized educational Board, in any discipline, and with a minimum aggregate score of 50%.
Such graduates are hired in capacities such as:
- Textile Designer
- Retail Fashion Consultant
- Management Trainee
- Garment Sample Coordinator
- Knitwear Designer
- Assessor\ Examiner of Garment Making
- Fashion Expert, etc.
The average tuition fee charged for the course in India ranges between INR 5000 and 2 Lacs for a span of 3 years. The average initial monthly salary offered in India to such graduates lies between INR 10,000 and 15, 000, increasing with the candidate’s experience and skillset in the field.
Top Colleges for Bachelor of Arts [BA] (Fashion Designing)
- Bachelor of Arts [BA] (Fashion Designing) in Maharashtra
- BA in Delhi-NCR
- BA in Maharashtra
- BA in Chennai
- BA in Uttar Pradesh
- BA in Telangana
BA in Fashion Designing: Course Highlights
Listed below are some of the major highlights of the course.
|Examination Type||Semester System/ Yearly|
|Eligibility||10+2 or equivalent qualification in any disciplines|
|Admission Process||Merit-based/ Based on performance in entrance exam|
|Course Fee||INR 1,000 to 5 Lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 3 to 10 lacs per annum|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Fashion Media, Export Houses, Fashion Show Management, Freelancing for Fashion Houses, Garment Manufacturing Unit, Garment Store Chains, Jewelry Houses, Leather Companies, Media Houses, Textile Mills, etc.|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Fashion Media, Export Houses, Fashion Show Management, Freelancing for Fashion Houses, Garment Manufacturing Unit, Garment Store Chains, Jewelry Houses, Leather Companies, Media Houses, Textile Mills, and such.|
|Job Positions||Merchandiser, Textile Designer, Retail Fashion Consultant, Management Trainee, Garment Sample Coordinator, Knitwear Designer, Assessor\ Examiner of Garment Making, Fashion Expert, among others.|
BA in Fashion Designing: What is it About?
The course is primarily about:
- the art of designing and improving clothing and such accessories.
- the constantly dynamic field of fashion and its many trends.
- representing creativity in the form of design.
Top Institutes offering BA in Fashion Designing
Listed below are some of the top institutes in India that offer the course.
|Name of Institute||City|| Average Fees|
|Arch Academy of Design||Jaipur||INR 3,95,000|
|Pearl Academy - School of Fashion, Styling and Textiles||Noida,||INR 1,47,500|
|Institute of Apparel Management||Gurgaon||INR 1,00,000|
|National Institute of Fashion Technology||Dharmasala||INR 6,84,000|
|WLCI School of Fashion Technology, Bengaluru||Bengaluru||INR 2,91,250|
|Pearl Academy- School of Creative Business||New Delhi||INR 1,23,500|
|WLCI School of Fashion Technology, Chennai||Chennai||INR 2,91,250|
|WLCI School of Fashion Technology, Kolkata||Kolkata||INR 2,91,250|
|WLCI School of Fashion Technology, Hyderabad||Hyderabad||INR 2,91,250|
|Pearl Academy, Jaipur||Jaipur||INR 3,89,500|
|Pearl Academy, Mumbai||Mumbai||INR 4,28,500|
|Whistling Woods International||Mumbai||INR 3,00,000|
|Nirmala College,||Ranchi||INR 7,003|
|MIT Art, Design and Technology University||Pune||INR 3,50,000|
|Thiruvalluvar University||Vellore||INR 6,067|
|Techno Global University||Shillong||INR 4,500|
|ISBM University, Chhura||Chhura||INR 5,300|
|Amity University, Noida||Noida||INR 5,22,000|
|Amity University, Kolkata||Kolkata||INR 2,65,000|
|K.R. Mangalam University||Gurgaon||INR 4,05,000|
|U P Rajarshi Tandon Open University||Allahabad||INR 10,500|
|Mahatma Jyoti Rao Phoole University||Jaipur||INR 90,000|
|ISBM University, Chhattisgarh||Chhattisgarh||INR 69,900|
Eligibility for BA in Fashion Designing
Candidates wishing to apply for the course need to fulfil the following eligibility criteria
- 10+2 level of education or equivalent qualification in any discipline, completed from a recognized educational Board.
- A minimum aggregate score of 50% (45% for SC/ST/OBC candidates) at the 10+2 level.
- Candidates awaiting their 10+2 examination’s results are also eligible to apply on provisional basis.
BA in Fashion Designing: Admission Process
Most institutes offering the course admit students based on their performance in a relevant entrance test. Some institutes also admit students based on the candidate’s obtained merit at the 10+2 level, while some conduct their own entrance tests for offering admission. Admission process generally varies across colleges.
Some such entrance tests held in the country for admission to the course are:
- Aditya Institute of Technology Fashion Designing Entrance Exam
- Apeejay Institute of Design Fashion Designing Entrance Exam
- Army Institute of Fashion Design Admission Test
- Central Footwear Training Institute Entrance Exam
- Centre for International Management Entrance Exam
- Centre for Product Design and Manufacturing Entrance Exam
- Common Entrance Examination for Design, CEED
- Creative-I College of Creative Arts Entrance Exam
- Department of Industrial Design Entrance Exam
- Design Institute of India Entrance Exam
- DSK International Institute of Design Entrance Exam
- Film and Television Institute of India Entrance Examination
- Footwear Design & Development Institute Noida Entrance Exam
- Government Institute of Garment Technology Entrance Exam
- I E C School of Art & fashion Entrance Exam
- IDC, IIT Bombay Entrance Exam
- IMS Academy of Fashion and Jewelry Design Entrance Exam
- Indian Institute of Art and Fashion Technology Entrance Exam
- Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi Entrance Exam
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur Entrance Exam
- Infopark School of fashion Entrance Exam
- International Centre of Art & design Entrance Exam
- International Institute of Fashion Technology Entrance Exam
- J D Institute of Fashion Technology Entrance Exam
- Janaki Devi Vocational Center Entrance Exam
- Jewelryery Design & Technology Institute Entrance Exam
- Laxmidevi Institute of Engineering & Technology Entrance Exam
- Lisa Institute of fashion Private Limited Entrance Exam
- MIT Institute of Design Entrance Exam
- (MSFTEE) Mayura School of Fashion Technology Entrance Exam
- National Academy of Fashion Technology Entrance Exam
- National Entrance Examination for Design (NEED)
- National Institute of Design Entrance Exam
- National Institute of Fashion Technology Entrance Exam
- National School of Drama Screening Test Entrance Exam
- NIFT-TEA Knitwear Fashion Institute Entrance Exam
- North East Institute of Fashion Technology Entrance Exam
- Northern India Institute of Fashion Technology Entrance Exam
- Pearl Academy of Fashion Entrance Exam
- Rai University Entrance Exam
- Shrishti School of Art, Design & Technology Entrance Exam
- The Apparel Training & Design Centre Entrance Exam
- The School of Fashion Technology (SOFT) Entrance Exam
- Vidya Institute Entrance Exam
- Wigan and Leigh Fashion School Entrance Exam
Latest Bachelor of Arts [BA] (Fashion Designing) Admission Alert
- JNU BA (Hons) Admission 2019
- Jamia Millia Islamia UG Admissions 2019
- Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning (SSSIHL) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Fees
- Rashtriya Sanskrit Vidyapeetha UG Admission 2019: Courses, Application Process, Eligibility
- Maulana Azad University (MANUU) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Results, Cut Off, Dates, Fees
- Kakatiya University (KU) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Time Table, Results
BA in Fashion Designing: Syllabus and Course Description
A year-wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is tabulated here.
|Apparel Construction Methods||Fabric Dyeing and Printing||Introduction to Pattern Making and Garment Construction|
|Color Mixing||Fashion Illustration and Design||Leather Designing|
|Computer-Aided Design||Fashion Studies||Manufacturing Technology|
|Elements of Textiles||History of Costumes||Surface Development Techniques|
BA in Fashion Designing: Career Prospects
The world of fashion is a complex ecosystem with a large community playing out a wide assortment of essential functions.
Successful graduates of the course are lucratively employed in:
- fashion firms, film industry
- export companies, export houses
- garment store chains
- leather and textile mills
- boutiques, jewelry houses
- fashion shows, media houses, etc.
Some of the popular professional avenues open to successful graduates of the course are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions.
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Pay Scale in INR|
|Costume Designers||Costume Designers create the look of each character by designing clothes and accessories that actors wear in a performance, depending on the character’s style and complexity.||6,65,666|
|Fashion Consultants||Fashion Consultants provide professional fashion advice and recommendations to individuals, customers, or companies. They draw from an expert knowledge of trends and fashion principles for assisting others in fashion-related guidance.||7,15,870|
|Fashion Coordinator||Fashion Coordinators set up particular arrangements of costumes for fancy occasions, such as photograph shoots, TV appearances, runway walks, and other such occasions.||6,75,368|
|Sales Representatives||Sales Representatives offer retail items, merchandise, and projects to clients. They work with clients to discover what they need, make arrangements, and guarantee smooth transactions. They also work to discover new potential customers, through professional resources, customer referrals, and so forth.||7,42,903|
|Technical Designer||Technical Designers are responsible for designing clothing that fulfills the client’s requirements and assists the mission of their brand. They partake in quality control roles for a variety of products, from purses and footwear to exceptional pieces of clothing and whole garments lines. Technical Designers work as a major aspect of a collaborative team with designers, merchandisers, and manufacturers.||6,89,543|