MA in Statistics is a 2-year full-time postgraduate course, the minimum eligibility for admission to which is graduation completed from a recognised university with a minimum aggregate score of 50%. Graduation needs to have preferably been done in Statistics or with Statistics as one of the main subjects.
Admission to the course is based on the candidate’s performance in a relevant entrance test. Some Universities however, grant admission on the basis of merit obtained by the candidate at the level of graduation.
|Master of Arts in Uttar Pradesh||Master of Arts in Andhra Pradesh||Master of Arts in Assam||Master of Arts in Orissa|
Such postgraduates are hired in capacities such as Assistant Professor, Data Analyst, Research Analyst, Enumerator, Data Interpreter, Econometrician, Statistician, Lecturer, Biostatistician, Research Scholar, and such.
The average tuition fee charged for the course in India ranges between INR 10,000 and 60,000 for a span of 2 years, and the average annual salary offered to such professionals ranges between INR 4 and 6 Lacs, increasing with the candidate’s experience and expertise.
Top Colleges for Master of Arts [MA] (Statistics)
- MA in Delhi-NCR
- MA in Maharashtra
- MA in Chennai
- MA in Uttar Pradesh
- MA in Telangana
MA in Statistics: Course Highlights
Listed here are the major highlights of the course.
|Eligibility||Graduation in Statistics or related discipline with a minimum aggregate score of 50%, completed from recognised university|
|Admission Process||Based on performance in entrance test/ Merit obtained at the level of graduation|
|Course Fee||INR 10,000 to 60,000|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 4 to 6 lacs|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Mastercard, American Express, KPMG, EY, etc.|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Educational Institutes, Statistical Research, Consulting Firms, Insurance, Indian Civil Services, Data Survey Agencies, and such.|
|Top Job Profiles||Assistant Professor, Data Analyst, Research Analyst, Enumerator, Data Interpreter, Econometrician, Statistician, Lecturer, Biostatistician, Research Scholar, etc.|
MA in Statistics: What is it About?
The program basically entails a through and definitive study of statistics at an advanced level. The course is intended for those having an inclination towards higher learning in Statistics. Statistics finds application everywhere and the degree warrants highly potential employability.
Statistics is a highly relevant field with:
- applications in many different academic disciplines, such as medicine, natural sciences, education, psychology, and education.
- relevance for workers in industry, business, and government.
It can be defined as:
- the study of the science of collection, organisation, analysis, interpretation, and presentation of numerical and categorical data.
- The science of mathematical principals which are used to conduct survey and research to arrive at usable results.
In terms of objectives, the program aims to offer to eligible candidates:
- advanced learning and hands-on training in selected areas of statistics
- familiarity with the use of statistical tools in the analysis of industrial, social, and business-related data.
- the core knowledge required for statistical applications.
- familiarity with real-life data-related problems, and the use of statistics in Applied Sciences and industries.
- hands on training in selected areas of Statistics.
- skills in using appropriate software applications for statistical applications in various fields.
Statistics is the study of collection, organization, and interpretation of data, with the data being in the form of both numerical figures and as relationship between different such entities. The course also covers:
- fields of designs of experiment along with surveys that provide assistance in different aspects.
- detailed stress on the assessment of the picture obtained through collection of different forms of data.
- relevance for working professionals in R&D and Quality Control divisions in Industries, Commerce and Management departments of various universities, who are interested in updating their knowledge in Statistics.
- value for graduates who wish to continue their education and are interested in getting into the field of Applied Statistics.
- training for potential Statisticians to operate in the public and private sectors as Statistical Scientists, Consultants, and Engineers to manage and analyse data.
Top Institutes offering MA in Statistics
Listed here are the names and corresponding details of the top institutes offering the course in the country.
|Name of Institute||City||Average Fees|
|Banaras Hindu University||Varanasi||INR 15,000 (course)|
|Hindu College||Delhi||INR 10,000 (course)|
|Pandit Ravishankar Shukla University||Raipur||INR 30,000 (course)|
|Gauhati University||Guwahati||INR 18,000 (course)|
|Indian Statistical Institute||Kolkata||INR 60,000 (course)|
|University of Lucknow||Lucknow||INR 15,000 (course)|
|Ramjas College||Delhi||INR 10,000 (course)|
|Utkal University||Bhuvaneshwar||INR 55,000 (course)|
|Tirumala Tirupati's Devasthanam's Sri Venkateswara College||Delhi||INR 10,000 (course)|
Eligibility for MA in Statistics
Candidates wishing to apply for the course need to fulfil the following eligibility criteria
- graduation in Statistics or equivalent discipline, completed from a recognized university.
- a minimum aggregate score of 50% (45% for SC/ST/OBC candidates) at the level of graduation.
- candidates awaiting their graduation-level examinations’ results are also eligible to apply on provisional basis.
|Master of Arts in Rajasthan||Master of Arts in Bihar||Master of Arts in Karnataka||Master of Arts in West Bengal|
MA in Statistics: Admission Process
Most institutes offering the course in the country admit students based on their performance in a relevant entrance test. Some institutes conduct their own entrance tests for offering admission. Admission process generally varies across colleges.
A few institutes also provide direct admission based on the candidate score at the level of graduation.
Some such institutes that hold entrance tests in the country for admission to the course are
- University of Delhi
- Indian Statistical Institute
- Banaras Hindu University
Latest Master of Arts [MA] (Statistics) Admission Alert
- JNU MA, M.Sc, MCA & MBA Admission 2019: Courses, Application Form, Eligibility, Entrance Exam
- Telangana University (TU) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Time Table, Results
- Jamia Millia Islamia PG Admissions 2019: Course, Fees, Result, Login, Entrance Exams
- Sri Venkateswara University (SVU) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
- Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning (SSSIHL) MA and M.Sc Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Fees
- Sri Krishnadevaraya University (SKU ) PG Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
MA in Statistics: Syllabus and Course Description
A semester-wise breakup of the course& syllabus is tabulated here.
|Real Analysis and Linear Algebra||Distribution Theory|
|Statistical Inference -1||Statistical Inference – II|
|Linear Models and Regression Analysis||Design and Analysis of Experiments|
|Sampling Theory -1||Sampling theory II|
|Practical based on the content of theory papers||Practical based on the contents of theory papers|
|Measure and Probability||Actuarial Statistics|
|Multivariate Analysis||Advanced Multivariate Analysis|
|Stochastic Processes||Advanced Operations Research|
|Operations Research||Bayesian Inference|
|Statistical Decision Theory||Computer Programming in C|
|Survival Analysis||Statistical Processes and Quality Control|
|Practical based on the contents of theory papers of electives||Practical based on the contents of theory papers of electives|
MA in Statistics: Career Prospects
The course prepares professional in terms of:
- analytical ability
- skills relating to presentation of data
- business skills
- critical, analytical, problem-solving skills.
Aside from financial institutions, such postgraduates are gainfully employed in teaching jobs in universities, colleges, and in statistical research.
Scopes of job roles of such Statisticians include:
- working in survey departments to gather information from particular sections and publish results for the whole population.
- conducting surveys on a range of issues such as politics during elections, or issues related to the general public.
- engagements in business field, sports statistics, scientific research, and medical statistics.
Such graduates may later pursue advanced courses in the subject such as Ph.D. or M.Phil. degrees.
Some of the popular professional avenues open to successful postgraduates of the course are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Pay in INR|
|Data Analyst||Data Analysts translate numbers into plain English. Every business collects data, whether it's sales figures, market research, logistics, or transportation costs. A Data Analyst's job is to take that data and use it to help organizations make better business decisions. This could mean figuring out how to price new materials for the market, how to reduce transportation costs, solve issues that cost the company money, or determine how many people should be working on Saturdays. Their responsibilities include implementing databases, data collection systems, data analytics and other strategies that optimize statistical efficiency and quality. Also, they filter and clean data by reviewing computer reports, printouts, and performance indicators to locate and correct code problems.||5 lacs|
|Econometrician||Econometricians study statistical information and economics in their field of interest, such as labour and finance. They gather, evaluate, and relay data for them to explicate economic phenomena and predict market trends by making use of statistical methods and mathematical models. Econometricians working for the local or national government agencies generally confer with policy-makers regarding government law decisions. This would include regulating the minimum wage, finalizing stimulus plans, and modifying tax rates. But those who are working for private-owned firms are in charge of appraising information regarding sales and customer needs.||6 lacs|
|Biostatistician||Biostatisticians work as academics in the biomedical field analysing the effects of treatments, environmental conditions, and other factors on living things. Common places of employment include government agencies, educational institutions, and pharmaceutical companies. Although Bachelor's degree is enough in some cases, most of these professionals have a Master's or Doctorate degree in Biostatistics or a related field, such as Mathematics or Biology. Biostatisticians may work on healthcare-related topics in the public or private sector. This may include performing research for a government agency or setting the statistical parameters for a new study by a pharmaceutical company. Work generally takes place in an office setting, but may extend into the field.||4 lacs|
|Enumerator||Enumerators collect demographic, economic, and housing data on behalf of the government. They are responsible for canvassing neighbourhoods, and documenting and reporting the information. Most Enumerators are hired to work with the population and housing censuses that occurs every decade, but there are other types of censuses that are taken more frequently. Most of the jobs are temporary, and salaries vary depending on the location. Enumerators complete their research in specific areas. They typically begin by reviewing their assigned field and preparing an efficient route. Once a route is planned, Census-Takers travel to designated households and conduct interviews with residents. They must identify themselves and help individuals complete a census form. They may need to assist residents by reading forms and answering questions about the census.||As per Government regulations|