MDS in Oral Pathology and Microbiology is a 3-year postgraduate program in dentistry. This is a special branch of dentistry that deals with the nature, characteristics, cause, effects, and diagnosis of diseases that affect the oral and maxillofacial regions. It studies the teeth structure and facilitates appropriate maintenance of the same. Students enrolled to the course are trained to deal with the nature of oral diseases, their causes, and effects, and administer suitable treatment.
Enrolled students are taught to perform routine histopathological evaluations of specimens, and routine diagnostic procedures including cytological, microbiological, and such investigations besides research projects.
The course’s curriculum not only focuses on developing students’ academic and clinical proficiency, but also their intellectual, rational, and social aptitude for dentistry. The average course fee in India ranges between INR 1 and 6 lacs for the total duration. The average annual salary offered in India to successful postgraduates of this field lies between INR 7 and 8 lacs.
Top Colleges for Master of Dental Surgery [MDS] (Oral Pathology and Microbiology)
- Master of Dental Surgery [MDS] (Oral Pathology and Microbiology) in Karnataka
- Master of Dental Surgery [MDS] (Oral Pathology and Microbiology) in Maharashtra
- Master of Dental Surgery [MDS] (Oral Pathology and Microbiology) in Tamil Nadu
- Master of Dental Surgery [MDS] (Oral Pathology and Microbiology) in Uttar Pradesh
- Master of Dental Surgery [MDS] (Oral Pathology and Microbiology) in Haryana
MDS in Oral Pathology and Microbiology: Course Highlights
Listed below are some of the major highlights of the course.
|Examination Type||Yearly System|
|Eligibility||BDS from a recognized university|
|Admission Process||Based on merit obtained at the level of graduation. Entrance test in some cases.|
|Course Fee||INR 1 - 6 lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 7 - 8 lacs|
|Top Recruiting Fields/Areas||Dental hospitals, Dental treatment centers, Nursing homes, Private Clinics, etc.|
MDS in Oral Pathology and Microbiology: What is it About?
Oral Pathology is the branch of dentistry that deals with the nature, identification, and management of diseases that affect the oral and maxillofacial regions. The discipline involves the investigation of the causes, processes, and effects of such diseases.
Microbiology is the study of the microorganisms which exist as unicellular or cell cluster microorganisms. Microbiology also involves the study of immune system or immunology. The course lasts for a total of 3 years.
Successful postgraduates of the course are hired in both government and private dental hospitals, or can pursue lectureship in departments of Oral Pathology and Microbiology in medical institutes. They may even pursue research in the discipline, or practice in medical departments of the Army, Navy, Air Force, etc.
MDS in Oral Pathology and Microbiology: Who should opt?
Ideal candidates for the course would possess the following:
- Interest in, and aptitude for restoration, rehabilitation, and maintenance of the dentition.
- A critical mind for reading and understanding scientific literature and manufacturers’ advertising claims.
- Willingness to undertake independent research and aptitude for the practice of innovative treatment protocols.
Top Institutes offering MDS in Oral Pathology and Microbiology
Listed below are some of the top institutes offering the course in the country with the corresponding locations and fees charged by each.
|Name of Institute||City||Average Fees in INR|
|Manipal College of Dental Sciences||Mangalore||8.6 lacs|
|SRM University Campus||Kattankulathur||3 lacs|
|Sharda University||Greater Noida||8.45 lacs|
|Maharishi Markandeshwar University Mullana Campus||Ambala||6.8 lacs|
|Aligarh Muslim University||Aligarh||10,755|
|Jodhpur National University||Jodhpur||6 lacs|
|Bharti Vidyapeeth Deemed University||Pune||7.5 lacs|
|Nitte University||Mangalore||3 lacs|
|MS Ramaiah University of Applied Science||Bangalore||8.46 lacs|
|Padmashree Dr. DY Patil University||Mumbai||8 lacs|
|Dr. DY Patil Vidyapeeth||Pune||2.2 lacs|
|Surendra Group of Institutions||Ganganagar||5.25 lacs|
|NIMS University||Jaipur||5.2 lacs|
|Pacific University||Udaipur||3.33 lacs|
Eligibility for MDS in Oral Pathology and Microbiology
Admission to the program is based on general academic achievement determined from a recognized degree of BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery for Oral Pathology and Microbiology), awarded by an Indian university from a recognized dental college or an equivalent qualification recognized by the Dental Council of India having permanent registration with a State Dental Council.
Foreign Nationals seeking admission to the course must procure temporary registration with the Dental Council of India for the duration of the postgraduate training.
MDS in Oral Pathology and Microbiology: Admission Process
Admission to the course is based on merit obtained at the level of graduation, and in some cases, on the candidate’s performance in a relevant common entrance examination conducted by institutes offering the course. Certain universities in India also offer direct admission to the program, based on the candidate’s graduating score.
Often, candidates qualifying the written examination are called for subsequent rounds of counselling and interview.
Some of the popular entrance exams conducted in India for the course are as follows:
- All India Postgraduate Dental Entrance Examination (AIPGDEE): It is a national -level entrance examination conducted by the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi.
- NEET MDS: This is an eligibility-cum-entrance exam conducted for admission to the course. The exam is conducted by NBE and serves as a gateway for admission to most of the State dental colleges, private universities, deemed universities and private dental colleges.
- Telangana EAMCET AC: Engineering, Agriculture & Medical Common Entrance Test (TS EAMCET) is an entrance exam conducted by Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Hyderabad. Qualifying this exam is the prerequisite for admission into various professional courses offered in institutes across the State of Telangana.
- ACDS PG-WAT: Army College of Dental Sciences (ACDS), Secunderabad, conducts the Post Graduate Written Test (PG-WAT) for admission to its various MDS courses.
Latest Master of Dental Surgery [MDS] (Oral Pathology and Microbiology) Admission Alert
- Dr. NTR University of Health Sciences (NTRUHS) MDS & MPT Admission 2019: Courses, Dates, Placement, Fees
- Dr. NTR University of Health Sciences (NTRUHS) MD, MS and MDS Admission 2019: Courses, Dates, Placement, Fees
- Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham PG Medical, Dental and Pharmacy Admission 2019
- Jagadguru Sri Shivarathreeswara (JSS) University MD/MS/MDS Admissions 2019
- KLE University MD, MS and MDS Admissions 2019
- NITTE University MD/MS & MDS Admission 2019
MDS in Oral Pathology and Microbiology: Syllabus and Course Description
A year-wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is tabulated below.
|Biostatistics and Research Methodology|
|Applied Gross Anatomy of Head and Neck including Histology|
|Physiology (General & Oral)|
|Systemic Microbiology / Applied Microbiology|
|Basic Molecular Biology and Techniques|
|Basic Histology techniques|
|Oral Microbiology and Immunology|
MDS in Oral Pathology and Microbiology: Career Prospects
Some of the popular professional avenues open to such registered Dental Specialists are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions.
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Salary in INR|
|Oral Pathologist||An Oral Pathologist is a medically trained Master of Dental Sciences who can diagnose and treat several different oral diseases that impact the overall health of the face, mouth, jaw, and other related bodily systems.||10 - 15 lacs|
|Dental Surgeon||A Dental Surgeon is responsible for diagnosing, treating, and providing preventative and restorative care for problems that affect patients' mouths and teeth. They educate patients regarding best oral health habits.||5 - 6 lacs|
|Dental Assistant||They perform a variety of patient care, office, and laboratory duties, and often work chair-side as dentists examine and treat patients. Their job is to make patients as comfortable as possible during treatment. They prepare patients for treatment and obtain their dental records.||3 - 4 lacs|
|Clinical Microbiologist||A Clinical Microbiologist conducts tests on specimens collected from patients and animals for bacterial, viral, protozoan, and fungal infections.||2 - 4 lacs|