BDS in Orthodontics is a full-time undergraduate program in dentistry, spread over 3 to 5 years of study. The course is a specialized study of causes and treatment of improper positioning of teeth and jaws.
Some of the institutes that offer the course in India are listed here:
- Maulana Azad Medical College
- Seth G.S. Medical College
- College of Dental Surgery, University of Mumbai
- University of Delhi.
Some of the top entrance tests conducted for admission to the course in India are:
- MU OET
- COMEDK, etc.
The basic eligibility criterion for pursuing the course is a 10+2 or equivalent qualification in the Science stream, from a recognized educational Board, with a minimum aggregate score of 50%.
Admission to the course is based on the candidate’s performance in a relevant entrance exam, or merit obtained in the last qualifying exam.
The average tuition fee charged for the course in India ranges between INR 50,000 to 12 Lacs for a span of 4 years.
Successful graduates of the course can expect anything between INR 2 to 6 lacs as annual salary in the industry, increasing with experience and skillset.
Such graduates are hired across areas such as:
- Dental Research Institutes, Educational institutes.
- Dental Clinics, Private Practice.
- Government & Private Hospitals.
- Pharmaceutical Companies.
- Dental Product Manufacturers, Dental Equipment Manufacturers, etc.
Top Colleges for Bachelor of Dental Surgery [BDS] (Orthodontics)
- BDS in Delhi-NCR
- BDS in Maharashtra
- BDS in Chennai
- BDS in Uttar Pradesh
- BDS in Telangana
B.D.S. in Orthodontics: Course Highlights
Some of the major highlights of the course are tabulated as follows:
|Basic Eligibility Criteria||10+2, with a minimum aggregate score of 60%.|
|Admission Procedure||Counseling after qualification of entrance exam|
|Major Entrance Test||AIPMT, AICET, NEET, MU OET, DUMET, COMEDK, MAIDS Entrance Exam, etc.|
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Top Recruiting Areas/Fields||Government and Private Hospitals, Private Practice, Dental Product Manufacturers, Dental Clinics, Pharmaceutical Companies, Colleges & Universities, Dental Equipment Manufacturer, and such.|
|Job Positions||Orthodontists, Dentist, Consultant, Lecturer, Dental Assistant, Dental Surgeon, Dental lab Technician, Professor, Private Practitioner, Medical Representative, among others.|
|Total Course Fee||INR 50K to 12 Lacs|
|Average Initial Salary||INR 2 Lacs to 6 Lacs|
B.D.S. in Orthodontics: What is it About?
Orthodontics is a specialty branch of dentistry that deals with the diagnosis, treatment and fixing of improper and crooked teeth. Treatment techniques include braces, clear aligners, headgear, expansion appliances, and other such devices.
Successful graduates of the course interested in pursuing higher research in the discipline may opt for higher degree courses, such as M.D.S, D.D., etc.
The program has been designed to offer to eligible candidates an in-depth knowledge in the field of orthodontics, such as:
- Recognizing the various characteristics of a malocclusion.
- Defining the nature of the problem, designing a treatment strategy based on the specific needs of the individual, and presenting the appropriate treatment strategy to the patient.
B.D.S. in Orthodontics: Who should opt?
Eligible candidates for the course would ideally possess:
- A sharp mind, good physical stamina, and a determination to serve the society.
- Ability to cope with obnoxious smells and ghastly sights during physical examination and surgery.
- Patient and calm attitude.
- A friendly nature and good communication skills, as the line of work requires them to deal with patients of all age groups.
B.D.S. in Orthodontics: Top Institutes
Some of the top colleges offering the course in the country with the corresponding locations and fees charged by the respective colleges are listed below:
|Name of Institute||City||Average Annual Fees|
|Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Science (MAIDS)||New Delhi||INR 15,000 (course)|
|Manipal College of Dental Sciences (MCODS)||Mangalore||INR 12.1 Lac (course)|
|SDM College of Dental Sciences and Hospitals||Karnataka||INR 1.72 Lac (course)|
|Government Dental College & Hospital||Mumbai||INR 48,400 (course)|
|King George’s Medical University (KGMU)||Lucknow||INR 39,067 (course)|
|A B Shetty Memorial Institute of Dental Sciences (ABSMIDS)||Mangalore||INR 9.53 Lac (course)|
|PT Bhagwat Dayal Sharma Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences (PGIMS)||Rohtak||INR 19,580 (course)|
|Government Dental College & Hospital||Aurangabad||INR 25,000 (course)|
|DR. R. Ahmed Dental College & Hospital||Kolkata||INR 30,000 (course)|
|SRM Dental College||Chennai||INR 12 Lacs (course)|
|JKK Natrajah Dental College & Hospital||Tamil Nadu||INR 38,000 (course)|
|Awadh Dental College and Hospital||Jamshedpur||INR 12.3 Lac(course)|
|Century International Institute of Dental Science and Research Center||Kerala||INR 40,000 (course)|
|Kalinga Institute of Dental Sciences (KIDS)||Bhubaneshwar||INR 10.3 Lac (course)|
|Uttaranchal Dental and Medical Research Institute (UDMRI)||Dehradun||INR 7 Lac (course)|
|Inderprastha Dental College and Hospital||Ghaziabad||INR 55,000 (course)|
|Kalka Dental College||Meerut||INR 40,000 (course)|
|Sibar Institute of Dental Sciences||Guntur||INR 18,000 (course)|
|Army College of Dental Sciences (ACDS)||Telangana||INR 1,00,000 (course)|
|Mamata Dental College||Hyderabad||INR 35,000 (course)|
Eligibility for B.D.S. in Orthodontics
Listed below are the minimum criteria which candidates interested in pursuing the course are required to fulfil, in order to be eligible to apply for the course:
- Successful completion of the 10+2 level of education in the Science stream, completed from a recognized university.
- A minimum aggregate score of 60% (55% for SC/ST candidates) at the 10+2 level.
B.D.S. in Orthodontics: Admission Process
Most institutes offering the course admit students based on performance in a relevant entrance test, often followed by a round of personal interview, wherein their general aptitude for the course is tested. Admission process generally varies across colleges.
Listed below are some of the top entrance exams conducted in the country for admission to the course:
- AIPMT (All India Pre-Medical Test)
- AICET (All India Common Entrance Test) BDS
- NEET (National Eligibility cum Entrance Test)
- MU OET (Manipal University Online Entrance Test)
- MP DMAT (Madhya Pradesh Dental and Medical Admission Test)
- DUMET (Delhi University Medical-Dental Entrance Test)
- COMEDK (Consortium of Medical, Engineering and Dental Colleges of Karnataka).
Latest Bachelor of Dental Surgery [BDS] (Orthodontics) Admission Alert
- Jamia Millia Islamia B.D.S. and B.P.T. Admissions 2019
- Dr. NTR University of Health Sciences (NTRUHS) MBBS & BDS Admission 2019: Courses, Dates, Placement, Fees
- Christian Medical College (CMC) Ludhiana MBBS AND BDS Admission 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Fees
- Banaras Hindu University (BHU) MBBS & BDS Admission 2019: Registration, Cut Off, Merit List, Fees
- KUHS MBBS, BDS & B.Pharm. Admission 2019
- Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) MBBS BDS Admission 2019
B.D.S. in Orthodontics: Syllabus & Course Description
Classified below is a semester-wise breakup of the course’s syllabus:
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Introduction to Orthodontics||Oro-Facial Growth and Development|
|Aims and Objectives||Development of Normal Occlusion|
|Scope of Orthodontics||Dental Anatomy, embryology & Oral History|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Classification and Modification of Orthodontics||Clinical Examination|
|Adult Orthodontics||Model Analysis|
|Dental Materials||Biomaterials in Orthodontics|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|Basic Concepts and Treatment Planning||Mechanics of Orthodontics|
|Preventive Orthodontics||Public Health Dentistry|
|Interceptive Orthodontics||Extraction in Orthodontics|
|Surgical Orthodontics||Space Maintainers and Regainers|
|Semester VII||Semester VIII|
|Tooth Movement||Post-Treatment Concepts|
|Anchorage||Retention and Relapse|
|Myo-functional Appliances||Genetics in Orthodontics|
|Orthopedic Appliances||Computers in Orthodontics|
|Semester IX||Semester X|
B.D.S. in General Surgery: Career Prospects
Successful graduates of the course are gainfully recruited across areas of employment such as:
- Nursing homes, government & private hospitals, health departments.
- Medical insurance, Armed Forces, State services, pharmaceuticals.
- Oral and dental care clinics, educational institutes, etc.
Tabulated below are some of the popular professional avenues open to such graduates, along with the corresponding salaries offered and basic job responsibilities associated with each:
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Dental Lab Technician||A Dental Lab Technician replaces partial or total loss of natural teeth, restores natural teeth, and corrects dental irregularities by manufacturing fixed or removable teeth appliances, etc.||INR 2 to 6 Lacs|
|Professor||Professors instruct students in a wide range of disciplines at the post-secondary level. They deliver scholarly articles, perform research, and instruct in a given area of specialization.||INR 2 to 4.5 Lacs|
|Dental Assistant||A Dental Assistant carries out patient care and laboratory duties, like making patients comfortable in the dental chair, preparing them for treatment, obtaining their dental records, etc.||INR 1.5 to 3 Lacs|
|Medical Representative||A Medical Representative advertises a company's products, like pharmaceutical drugs, medical equipment, and also works towards increasing product awareness.||INR 2 to 4 Lacs|
|Orthodontists||An Orthodontist diagnoses, treats, designs, and fabricates appliances to realign teeth and jaws, for maintaining normal teeth functionality, and to improve appearance.||INR 2 to 7 Lacs|