Ph.D. in Journalism and Mass Communication is a doctoral-level degree course in mass communication. The main aim of this program is to train professionals and teachers in the chosen area of their study to provide new and original insights. The minimum eligibility criteria required for the course is Master’s degree in the same field with minimum score of 55%.
Admission to the course is based on entrance test conducted by respective institutes. Few entrance exams conducted by top institutes for providing admission to the course are:
- CET (Common Entrance Test)
- JNU Ph.D Entrance
- NET (National Eligibility Test)
- IPU CET (Indraprastha University Common Entrance Test)
Some of the top institutes which offer the course are as follows:
- Aligarh Muslim University
- Amity School of Communication
- Amity University, Gwalior
- Andhra University
- Apeejay Stya University
- Central University of Orissa
Course generally involves Journalism, Mass Communication, Electronic Media, New Media and Media studies. Candidates develop their theatrical and methodological knowledge to mass communication and the related research. It includes new media and media studies which provide students with solid foundation in the discipline through exploration and methods that shape the scope of advanced research in journalism. The course teaches candidates about research methods by learning to evaluate and use documents from a variety of sources.
The course fee ranges between INR 50,000 to 1.5 lacs per annum for the total duration of the course whereas the average salary package for a fresher starts from INR 25k to 40K per month and for an experienced candidate it can be up to 50k also.
Candidates can also seek employment in various magazines, newspapers and also in advertising companies. They can also work as freelance writers, lecturer/professor, editors, and researchers etc.
Top Colleges for Ph.D. (Journalism and Mass Communication)
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Mass Communication in Delhi-NCR
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Mass Communication in Maharashtra
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Mass Communication in Chennai
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Mass Communication in Uttar Pradesh
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Mass Communication in Telangana
Ph.D. in Journalism and Mass Communication: Course Highlights Table
|Course Level||Doctorate Level|
|Examination Type||Credit system|
|Eligibility||Masters degree in Journalism and Mass Communication with 55% in aggregate+ the candidates should have cleared the common entrance test conducted by the respective university.|
|Admission Process||Merit based|
|Average starting salary||INR 25k to 40K per month|
|Top Recruiting Company||Hindustan Times, ZEE TV networks, NDTV networks, BBC, and Times of India etc. |
|Job Position||Free Lance Writer, Lecturer and Professor, Journalist, Editor, Researcher, Communication and Brand Promotion Executive, Marketing and communication Associate.|
Ph.D. in Journalism and Mass Communication: What is it about?
Ph.D. program in Journalism and Mass Communication imparts in-depth knowledge to candidates with experience in news and broadcasting enhancing their expertise. This program consists of theory classes and offers insights to the topics introduced and studied in undergraduate and master’s program.
The course includes elements such as mass communication teaching, mass media research, freedom of expression theory and dissertation, and also taking up an extra language in the proficiency class.
It generally includes the below-mentioned topics:
- Advertising Theory
- Theory of Culture and Media
- Ethical Issues in Journalism
- Law and Ethics of Telecommunication
- Contemporary theory and issues in journalism
- History and related topics of Mass Communication and Journalism
Top institutes offering Ph.D. in Journalism and Mass Communication
Following is the list of top institutes offering the course along with the location and average annual fees.
|Top Institutes||City||Average Annual Fees in INR|
|NIMS University||Jaipur||1.5 lacs|
|University of Mysore||Mysore||32,623|
|Lovely Professional University||Punjab||79,000|
|Maulana Azad National Urdu University||Hyderabad||4,125|
|Jaipur National University||Jaipur||96,000|
|Madurai Kamaraj University||Madurai||5,535|
|University of Madras||Madras||8,005|
|The IIS University||Jaipur||4,000|
|per annum Gujarat University||Ahmadabad||10,347|
|Mahatma Jyoti Rao Phoole University||Jaipur||52,000|
Eligibility for Ph.D. in Journalism and Mass Communication
Candidates wishing to seek admission in PhD in journalism and mass communication need to fulfil the below-mentioned eligibility criteria-
- Master’s degree in Journalism and Mass Communication
- 55% marks in aggregate at postgraduate level
- M.Phil. from any recognized university or institute of higher learning.
- Master’s degree with 55% in aggregate in any subject
- 5-year experience in media Industry/Teaching/Research in Mass Communication.
Ph.D. in Journalism and Mass Communication: Admission Process
Admission process for Ph.D. in Mass Communication and Journalism is based on Common Entrance Test conducted by various colleges. Entrance exam is conducted by respective universities for which candidates need to score required marks as set by the institution.
The entrance exam is followed by a round of Personal Interview conducted by the authorities of the university. The aggregate marks obtained by the candidates in exam and interview forms the basis of seat allotment process.
Latest Ph.D. (Journalism and Mass Communication) Admission Alert
- Jamia Millia Islamia Ph.D, M.Phil. Admissions 2019: Login, Application Form
- IGNOU M.Phil. and Ph.D. Admission 2019: Entrance Exam, Last Date, Online Application
- Savitribai Phule Pune University (SPPU) Ph.D. Admissions 2019: Courses, Time-Table, Result
- Jagran Lakecity University M.Phil and Ph.D Admission 2019
- North Maharashtra University (NMU) Ph.D Admissions 2019
- Jain University Ph.D. Admissions 2019
Ph.D. in Journalism and Mass Communication-Syllabus
Course aims at introducing the candidates with various theoretical forms of communication both as a philosophy and as a practical discipline. It also helps to expand the horizon of knowledge of communication.
|Core Subjects||Research Methodology 1|
|Research Methodology 2|
|Elective Subjects||Journalism Studies|
|Specialized and Analytical Journalism|
|Theory and Practices|
Ph.D. in Journalism and Mass Communication- Who should opt for this course?
Before taking up the course, candidates should ensure their suitability for them. Here are some course stabilities for the candidates-
- Course is beneficial for those students and media professionals who would like to increase their academic qualification and expertise in the journalism field.
- Candidates must be able to understand the history, function and development of mass communication in the society.
- Approach towards analysing the global media issues and functions. Candidates must use a creative approach to media development and visual communication.
- Candidates must understand the role of public relations and advertising and public relations by applying principles of media, law, policies, and ethics.
Ph.D. in Journalism and Mass Communication- Career Prospects
Taking up a doctorate in journalism and mass communication offers candidates some of the most exciting opportunities and jobs in some of the top companies and reputed sectors.
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Salary Offered in INR|
|Freelance Content Writer||Freelancers are responsible for writing news articles, editing blogs, and creating factual content for the article. People can work from home over the internet or any other source.||1 to 3 lacs|
|Journalist||Journalists research, write, edit, proofread, and also file new stories, content, and articles for the use of print, visual and other media.||3 to 8 lacs|
|Brand Executive||They are responsible for marketing activities including media programme content and campaign development. Also, they ensure that the organizational activities are undertaken within the companies rules||6 to 10 Lacs|
|Event manager||Their work is to manage supplier relationships and to deliver events on time, within budget to meet expectations along with communicating, maintaining and developing client relationship.||5 to 8 Lacs|
|Copy Writer||Employed as both freelancer and permanent copy writer for developing advertising content, they oversee the production phase and discussing the client’s core messages.||3Kto 8K|
|Communication Associate||Their role involves creating literature and other related content for communication. They create marketing material for both print and electronic media.||5K to 12K|
Eligibility Of the Ph.D. (Journalism and Mass Communication)