PG Diploma in Interior Designing is a 2-year post graduation level certification/diploma program in the domain of interior designing and its related areas. The minimum eligibility for which is bachelors degree in the related domain with a minimum aggregate of 55% marks from a recognized university.
Some of the popular institutes/colleges offering the diploma level course are:
- JD Institute of Fashion Technology
- Academy of Applied Arts
- Pearl Academy
- International School of Design
- ICAT Design and Media College
The fee for the course varies from INR 30,000 to 3, 50,000 across various colleges and universities across the country. The variation in the fee is based on the location and type of university that is private/deemed or government.
PG Diploma in Interior Designing course aims at decimating domain-specific skills and knowledge to the students. The course curriculum and design through its theoretical and practical modules try to achieve this inherent aim. Students can opt for skill and knowledge enhancement in the domain by going for a higher degree program in the long run.
PG Diploma in Interior Design students can look for a variety of options in terms of their career. One can opt for a career in the domain/with firms such as Public work departments, Hotels, and resorts, Planning bureaus, Architectural firms, Construction firms of etc.
PG Diploma in Interior Designing: Course Highlights
|Course Level|| PG Diploma/Certification|
|Duration of the Course||2 year|
|Examination Type||Semester/Final exams at the end of year|
|Eligibility||Graduation or equivalent pass out students with a minimum of 55% marks from any recognized university/institute.|
|Admission Process||Merit Based/ Entrance exam based (May also look at graduation percentage)|
|Course Fee||Between INR 30,000 and 3,50,000|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 16,000 to 20,000 per month|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Public work departments, Hotels, and resorts, Planning bureaus, Architectural firms, Construction firms etc.|
|Job Positions||Design Engineer, Plan-maker, Graphic designer, Textile designer, Lecturer, Assistant trainee etc.|
PG Diploma in Interior Designing: What is it about?
PG Diploma in Interior Designing course introduces the multi-disciplinary nature of designing to students in a comprehensive and defined manner. Designing as an area of study encompasses aesthetic arrangement and organization of space and environment in an effective manner. The course encompasses this description of designing in the backdrop of designing of indoor or interior based setups.
As an academic program the course hybrids or co-joins the domain of architecture and designing so as to churn out an effective skill and knowledge-based package that offers students an opportunity to become domain expert.
When offered as a post-graduation level diploma course to graduate students it comes at par with master’s level degree program in any other equivalent domain. PG Diploma in Interior Designing course with its learning through practicing approach enhances the vocational abilities of the student thus making them apt for industrial absorption. Thus, at its heart, the course is focused on nurturing experts that are academically and technically sound to take on the challenges in practical domain.
PG Diploma in Interior Designing: Top Institutes
PG Diploma in Interior Designing is offered as a course by a good number of colleges/institutes across the country to candidates who have passed their graduation or equivalent examination from a recognized state/central/private/deemed university.
For your reference, we have tabled down a list of various colleges/universities that are offering this course in India.
|AAFT School of Fashion Design||Noida||INR 1,70,000|
|Academy of Applied Arts||Delhi||INR 1,40,000|
|Pearl Academy||Delhi||INR 4,49,000|
|Swami Vivekananda University||Sagar||INR 11,200|
|JD Institute of Fashion Technology||Mumbai||INR 1,00,000|
|International Institute of Fashion Design||Mumbai||-|
|Desh Bhagat University||Gobindgarh||INR 12,600|
|University of Mumbai||Mumbai||INR 40,000|
|ICAT Design and Media College||Chennai||INR 55,000|
PG Diploma in Interior Designing: Eligibility
Candidate must have passed the graduation or equivalent level examination with at least 55% (45% to 50% for reserved category candidates) of the marks from a recognized state/central/private/deemed university
- He/She shall not be having any backlog or compartment in any of the subject/subjects at graduation or equivalent level that is yet to be cleared at the time of taking admissions.
- Apart from the above-mentioned eligibility criteria’s various colleges/institutes may have their own additional criteria’s which the students would have to satisfy in order to take admission.
- In case of reserved category students, they would have to present their reservation certificates issued by the competent authorities in order to avail the benefits applicable to them.
- Certain Institutes give admissions through Common Entrance Test (CET). To get admission in these institutes candidates would have to qualify the respective entrance exam by securing minimum qualifying marks.
The eligibility criteria’s mentioned above are common to most of the universities and colleges across the country that are offering this course to the students.
PG Diploma in Interior Designing: Admission Process
PG Diploma in Interior Designing course admissions are done on a merit-based criterion for a selection with a select few institutes/colleges going for CET based admissions.
- Some Institutes/Colleges conduct a common entrance test for admission to the course hence students would have to make an application for such exams.
- Students have to qualify these exams (for which they should be eligible to appear) in order to get admission in the course.
- After the conduct of the test, a merit list of finally qualified candidates is prepared and candidates are invited for admission process by the respective institute or college.
- After final allotment of seats to the candidate takes the candidates are asked to deposit the fee for the course and register for the respective academic year.
However, in most of the colleges, the admission process would be a straightforward task which would involve merit-based admission in the course.
PG Diploma in Interior Designing: Syllabus and Course description
The course is structured into a semester-wise system of examination spanning over a duration of two years. The syllabus of the course is designed in a manner so as to teach all the basic aspects of the course to the students in a gradual manner.
The details regarding the syllabus are tabled below for your reference.
|Subjects of Study|
|Landscape in Interiors|
|Estimation and Costing|
|Design and Drafting|
|History of Art and Architecture|
|Elements of Services|
|Seminar and Presentation|
PG Diploma in Interior Designing: Who Should Opt for?
- Students who have done graduation or equivalent level diploma in the domain of interior designing.
- Those who have an innovative and creative mindset.
- Those who are looking for a career as designing and graphics expert.
- Those aiming at higher studies in the subject.
PG Diploma in Interior Designing: Career Prospects
PG Diploma in Interior Designing students have plenty of options to choose from in terms of their career. One can choose to work as Design Engineer, Plan-maker, Graphic designer, Textile designer, Lecturer, Assistant trainee etc.
To provide you with a holistic view of the career prospects of the course we have tabled certain areas and the respective roles attached to the same where PG diploma pass out students can look for in terms of their career.
|Area/Domain||Role||Average Salary for Fresher’s|
|Design Engineer||The job involves one to undertake various roles like structuring, orientation, and arrangement of different types of equipment and materials as a part of designing related project.||INR 2.65-2.87 Lacs|
|Plan-Maker||The job involves preparing blueprint, plans, and models on virtual and paper format so as to guide effective implementation in practical domain.||INR 2.10- 2.22 Lacs|
|Graphic Designer||The work involves the use of ICT tools to prepare virtual and 3-D designs, logos, patterns etc.||INR 2.18 – 2.32 Lacs|
|Textile Designer||The job involves the application of designing techniques and principles on cloth/textile as a platform to bring out different qualities of work.||INR 2.23-2.45 Lacs|
|Lecturer/Tutor||The job involves teaching the subject to college/university level students.||INR 2.54- 2.76 Lacs|