Ph.D. in Veterinary science is a 3-year higher level academic program in the domain of animal medicine, treatment and rehabilitation with a focus on delivering therapeutic care to animals. It is a doctorate level research-based academic course that can be pursued by M.Phil/Postgraduate candidates. The minimum eligibility criterion for admission is 50% marks at Post Graduate qualification/M.Phil level in the subject.
Some of the popular colleges/universities offering the course are:
- Indian Veterinary Research Institute
- Assam Agricultural University
- Bihar Agricultural University
- Faculty of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry
- MP Chikitsa Vigyan Vishwavidyalaya
The fee for the course ranges from 30,000 to 3.5 Lacs across various colleges and universities in the country that are offering the course. The variation in the fee is based on the location and type of university that is private/deemed or government.
Ph.D. in Veterinary course admissions are done on the basis of percentage of marks obtained by the candidate at Post Graduate (PG)/M.Phil level. Apart from merit-based process colleges/universities take admissions based on the score of some popular entrance exam for Ph.D.
Those students who are looking for a grant or scholarship for the purpose of pursuing their doctorate in the said subject would have to fulfill the required eligibility criteria along with clearing of a respective exam for that purpose) in order to receive the grants.
The course is an effectively structured academic certification aimed at providing detailed knowledge and skills to the students in regards to Veterinary science so, as to make them well aware of each and every aspect related to the domain.
A doctorate in Veterinary Science pass out student has a variety of options to choose from in terms of his/her career. He/she can make a start with firms/in areas such as Breeding farms, Dairy departments, Drug research, Disease Investigation, Vaccine production, etc. Students of Ph.D. in Veterinary Science are well equipped in terms of knowledge and skills of the subject and are hence, suitable for undertaking various roles at the practice level.
A fresh pass out can expect a starting salary of anywhere between INR 20,000 to INR 22,000 per month. The average salary range across the country varies with a little variation here and there.
Top Colleges for Ph.D. (Veterinary Science)
- Ph.D in Veterinary Science in Delhi-NCR
- Ph.D in Veterinary Science in Maharashtra
- Ph.D in Veterinary Science in Chennai
- Ph.D in Veterinary Science in Uttar Pradesh
- Ph.D in Veterinary Science in Telangana
Ph.D. in Veterinary: Course Highlight Table
|Area Concerned||Veterinary Science|
|Duration of Course||3-5 Years|
|Admission process||Entrance Test based along with consideration for Merit (Based on PG/M.Phil percentage)|
|Structure of Course||Semester-Wise/Yearly exam based|
|Eligibility||M.Phil./Post Graduation From any college/university with a minimum of 50% (relaxable for reserved category candidates) marks.|
|Top recruiting areas||Breeding farms, Dairy departments, Drug research, Disease Investigation, Vaccine production, etc.|
|Job Profiles||Animal Farm Manager, Veterinary Doctor, Biological Scientist, Pharmacist, Store in charge, Veterinary Consultant etc.|
|Course Fee||INR 30,000 to INR 3.5 Lacs|
|Average starting salary||INR 20,000 to INR 22,000|
Ph.D. in Veterinary: What is it About?
Veterinary Science as a subject deals with the academic interpretation and analysis of diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation related aspects of the animal health care. Being a crucial asset for economic and other perspective animal welfare becomes an important area of study and research. Over the years the domain of veterinary science has become a specialized sub-domain of medical studies dealing holistically with animal health and treatment.
A doctorate level course in veterinary science churns out a veterinary professional out of a research student by equipping him aptly in an academic and practical manner through the gradual and progressive nature of course design and academic calendar.
Ph.D. in Veterinary course achieves its aim by incorporating subject based theoretical model of study long with practical based practice model of study.
Ph.D. in Veterinary: Top Institutes
A good number of colleges across the country offer the course to candidates who have passed their PG/M.Phil from a recognized state or central University.
For your reference, we have tabled down a list of various colleges/universities that are offering this course in India.
|Indian Veterinary Research Institute||Bareilly||INR 9,583|
|Assam Agricultural University||Jorhat||INR 14,667|
|Bihar Agricultural University||Bhagalpur||INR 8, 500|
|Faculty of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry||Ranchi||INR 8,725|
|MP Chikitsa Vigyan Vishwavidyalaya||Jabalpur||INR 9, 465|
|Sher-e- Kashmir University of Agricultural Sciences and Technology||Jammu and Kashmir||INR 15,500|
|Rajendra Agricultural University||Samastipur||INR 20,000|
|Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University||Chennai||INR 15,000|
|The Rajasthan University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences||Bikaner||INR 15,000|
Ph.D. in Veterinary: Eligibility
Candidate must have passed the PG/M.Phil. Examination with at least 50% (40% to 45% for reserved category candidates) of the marks from a recognized state/private/deemed or central University
- He/She shall not be having any backlog or compartment in any of the subject/subjects at PG/M.Phil level that is yet to be cleared at the time of taking admissions.
- Apart from the above-mentioned eligibility criteria’s various colleges and institutes may have their own additional criteria’s which the students would have to satisfy in order to take admission (Like work or research experience in the domain).
- In case of reserved category students, they would have to present their reservation certificates issued by the competent authorities in order to avail the benefits applicable to them.
- Certain Institutes grant admissions through Common Entrance Test (CET) like ICAR, TANUVAS etc. To get admission in these institutes candidates would have to qualify the respective entrance exam by securing minimum qualifying marks.
The eligibility criteria’s mentioned above are common to most of the universities and colleges across the country that are offering this course to the students.
Most Universities/Colleges offer admission based on the score of CET or conduct their own entrance test for admission into Ph.D. courses hence students would have to make an application for such exams.
- Students have to qualify these exams (for which they should be eligible to appear) in order to get admission in the course.
- After the conduct of the test, a merit list of finally qualified candidates is prepared and candidates are invited for admission process by the respective university or college.
- After preparation of final merit list, the process of final allotment of seats to the candidate takes place and the candidate is asked to deposit the fee for the course and register for the respective academic year.
Latest Ph.D. (Veterinary Science) Admission Alert
- KVASU M.V.Sc. and Ph.D. Admission 2019
- TANUVAS PG Admission 2019
- SASTRA University Ph.D. Programmes 2019
- Maharashtra Animal and Fisheries Science University (MAFSU) Ph.D Admissions 2019
- KVAFSU Ph.D. Admissions 2019
- LUVAS PG Admission 2019
Ph.D. in Veterinary: Syllabus and Course description
The course has a variable time duration of 3 to 5 year and the syllabus is divided into various domain related subject and practical/research modules. The detailed description of the syllabus is tabled below for your reference.
|Subject/domain of study|
|Animal genetics an breeding|
|Veterinary Public health|
Ph.D. in Veterinary: Who Should Opt for?
- Students who have done M.Phil/ Masters in the domain of Veterinary Science.
- Those who have a career as Veterinary Doctor in mind.
- Those who are looking for a career in Animal Pharmaceutical industries.
- Those are looking for a career as Veterinary Consultant.
Ph.D. in Veterinary: Career Prospects
Ph.D. in Veterinarypass out students have plenty of options to choose from in terms of their career. One can choose to work as Animal Farm Manager, Veterinary Doctor, Biological Scientist, Pharmacist, Store in charge, Veterinary Consultant etc. etc.
To provide you a holistic view of the career prospects of the course we have tabled certain areas and the respective roles attached to the same where Ph.D. holders can look for in terms of their career.
|Area/Domain||Role||Average Salary for Fresher’s|
|Veterinary Doctor||It is a typical job in the domain which involves treatment and rehabilitation of animals.||INR 2.89-3.44 Lacs|
|Biological Scientist||The job involves research and development in terms of animal medicine, and disease.||INR 2.64- 3.23 Lacs|
|Pharmacist||The job involves retail/wholesale level sale/purchase in animal medicine and vaccine.||INR 2.48 – 2.90 Lacs|
|Store manager||The job involves working in the capacity of a supervisor/manager in the veterinary pharmaceutical department of government /private hospitals.||INR 2.24-2.76 Lacs|
|Veterinary Consultant||Veterinary Consultants are involved in the job of tendering advise related to animal breeding, and healthcare to poultry farm owners, farmers etc.||INR 2.56- 3.12 Lacs|